Author Topic: Plastic undertray securing clips  (Read 2398 times)

Darryl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Plastic undertray securing clips
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
Hi, I'm just wanting to know how to remove these clips so I can drop the small plastic undertrays and treat a little bit of rust.

Looking at them there is a slot either side but when I have tried to lever them out they don't want to move and will probably break.

Is there a procedure for getting them out in one piece and being able to reuse them?

Do these look like the correct item? If so I will get some new ones as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Honda-Bumper-Engine-Undertray-Wheel-Arch-Lining-Splashguard-Trim-Clips/290878901032?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz&hash=item43b9bbcb28:g:PfsAAOxy9eVRQGmM

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:34:32 PM by Darryl »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Plastic undertray securing clips
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
You can get a proper forked tool to lever the centre button out but the do tend to stick in with dirt,  and they do get brittle with age as well so best to get some spares if you are going to mess with them, some are longer than others ( if they go through two thicknesses of plastic ) and you need to check diameter of main part as well.. I think 10mm diameter and 10 or 12mm and 16mm long rings a bell when I got some.. the shorter ones are used most but a few go through two thicknesses of plastic.

I generally try to get a screwdriver with a blade of at least 5 or 6 mm wide under the plastic lip and twist handle to lift the centre button. Get side of blade alongside centre button as close to shaft as possible and twist, getting as much contact between side of blade and plastic,  but you may need to wiggle one side and then attack the opposite side,  but as I said don't be surprised if button breaks as after 10 years they get brittle..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:07:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave12335

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
They do look like the correct item. I had to get some myself after some debris on the motorway ripped some of mine off.

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
This is what I use and it works a treat. This tool has a use in the telecommunications industry and is purpose built.

This tool is made of plastic but is easy to make. The Dimensions are as follows 80 mm long.12mm wide. Drill a 6mm hole very near the end and file to get the u shape. Slide the tool in the side of the inner clip and the outer piece push and it forces the inner clip up, you may have to try either side.

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
Photo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:19:21 PM by Brendan976 »

Tags:

anything