Author Topic: 2004 auto, gears disengaging  (Read 1280 times)

Elsketcho

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2004 1.4 auto
2004 auto, gears disengaging
« on: April 15, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »
Driving to work this morning. Went to pull out of a junction and the car accelerated a bit then just rev’d, stopped pulling, then re-engaged and was back to normal.

Then tonight, I get on the M25, lane 1, 60mph and the car sort of sputtered and it happened all over again. But this time the D on the dash was flickering. Tried putting it into neutral then back into drive but that didn’t seem to do anything.  I managed to find a bit of hard shoulder and coasted over. Turned it off, put it into Park. I then restarted it drove along the hard shoulder accelerating, was pulling ok so rejoined the motorway hugging lane 1. For the rest of my anxious drive home the car seemed fine.

I’ll be taking my wife’s car tomorrow

Anyone have any ideas what’s causing this and how to fix it?

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4l Honda Jazz 2013 Toffee Apple Red - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
Re: 2004 auto, gears disengaging
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »
if it was a manual i'd say it sounds like when my clutch died, no idea for an auto.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
Early CVT boxes had a starting clutch (Item 1). Sounds like that has given up the ghost.

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2004/14-SE/TRANSMISSION/STARTING-CLUTCH/17SAA401/ATM0400/2/21689

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:17:37 AM »
My wifes Punto CVT had a similar problem with not taking up drive sometimes ( very embarrassing at junctions and Islands ) and main dealer had it back and swapped ECU etc.  When she had the car back ( they kept it over 2 weeks ) it was still doing it LOL   

Took it to a local garage and he said straight away it would be the switch on the brake pedal playing up,  took it back next day, 10 minutes and about £15 it was fixed...   I would guess all CVT have a switch on brake pedal so that car does not try to engage drive if brake is pressed,  just to stop gearbox fighting the brakes ---

Her Punto had a magnetic powder clutch which was very smooth ( two plates with magnetic powder between them and an energising coil that gradually ramped up the current to make powder stick together more strongly ).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:20:24 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
Would it be the infamous CVT judder caused by Honda setting the fluid change interval too lengthy? Read through this thread https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=94.0 and see if your symptoms fit.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything