Author Topic: 430 mile range in a Hybrid  (Read 7000 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
430 mile range in a Hybrid
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
Whilst fuelling the car, for some reason the pump nozzle didn't cut out, and the tank overflowed. I then ran it to zero range +8 more miles, the trip meter read 438 miles, so managed 430 miles on a very full tank. This included around 200 miles on motorways and 12 hours of driving lessons.

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
Re: 430 mile range in a Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
Hi,

Do you remember what fuel did you use? BP, Shell, normal or premium?
How much of fuel did you put at the occasion?

Thank you

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »
Hi,

Do you remember what fuel did you use? BP, Shell, normal or premium?
How much of fuel did you put at the occasion?

Thank you
Sainsburys normal, the tank wasn't empty when filled to overflowing so it was £36 and a few pence to overflow.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
According to my records the best I did on one tank was 451 miles of mainly open road motoring before filling up. However, as I could get only 30.3 litres into the tank there was still plenty in reserve (a matter of filling up when convenient). The next best was 438 miles when I filled up as the car claimed only 13 miles remaining. On that occasion it took 33.5 litres to refill so still a decent reserve.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:40:12 AM »
According to my records the best I did on one tank was 451 miles of mainly open road motoring before filling up. However, as I could get only 30.3 litres into the tank there was still plenty in reserve (a matter of filling up when convenient). The next best was 438 miles when I filled up as the car claimed only 13 miles remaining. On that occasion it took 33.5 litres to refill so still a decent reserve.

From what I have seen ( even on my motorbike )  'miles remaining' is till you get onto reserve fuel.  I am glad Honda are conservative on this because I have seen on some car comparisons that some cars like Mini and Fiat 500 give you less than 20 miles warning ( which to me is far too little ) - these days fuel stations are like hospitals - more than 20 miles apart but when you eventually find one they are big  :(
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 08:43:41 AM »
I regularly manage 430 miles +, if I wait until the fuel light comes on. But I don't have a hybrid.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »
I regularly manage 430 miles +, if I wait until the fuel light comes on. But I don't have a hybrid.

Ironically, the "fuel efficient" hybrid gets a smaller tank of 40 litres although it seems only 33 litres of it is usable as it shows empty with 7 litres left.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 05:31:14 PM »
That makes a difference. Mine is 42 litres.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 09:26:26 PM »
I think car makers aim for a certain range from a tank so a more efficient car will get a smaller tank capacity. Carrying extra fuel is a weight penalty and makers try to squeeze last grams out of weight, even to the extent of not supplying a spare wheel....... and sometimes even skimping on sound deadening.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »
That makes a difference. Mine is 42 litres.
A minimal difference though.

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »
Well, just done my first tank full since getting my Hybrid and here are some facts and numbers.

Things to note:

1. All journeys were a minimum of 30 minutes in drive time, often longer

2. Most journeys were either in crappy stop start London traffic or around London's A406 road (it's a large ring road that goes around London basically)

3. I drove like a saint, ensuring my dash was glowing green whenever possible and using cruise control too where applicable

4. I bought 4 new Dunlop tyres (probably should have bought the Michelin Energy Savers, but too late now!)

Result? Not great I don't think. I managed 343 miles. I then brimmed the tank and managed to get 32.1 litres into it (at £1.239 per litre). So basically 48.5MPG (on board computer shows 51.3MPG, so the car over reads by 6%).

Views? I see some folk on here are getting 450 miles, so I am 100 miles short :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 09:07:41 PM »
What I have found with the on board computer of my Mk 1 is it does not show a constant error. It can read plus and minus (I have even had it spot on), so I would continue to calculate your mpg figures.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »
Well, just done my first tank full since getting my Hybrid and here are some facts and numbers.

Things to note:

1. All journeys were a minimum of 30 minutes in drive time, often longer

2. Most journeys were either in crappy stop start London traffic or around London's A406 road (it's a large ring road that goes around London basically)

3. I drove like a saint, ensuring my dash was glowing green whenever possible and using cruise control too where applicable

4. I bought 4 new Dunlop tyres (probably should have bought the Michelin Energy Savers, but too late now!)

Result? Not great I don't think. I managed 343 miles. I then brimmed the tank and managed to get 32.1 litres into it (at £1.239 per litre). So basically 48.5MPG (on board computer shows 51.3MPG, so the car over reads by 6%).

Views? I see some folk on here are getting 450 miles, so I am 100 miles short :(
48.5 is not bad for the north circular I would have thought, and significantly better than a non-hybrid Jazz in the same conditions.  As for total range, you clearly had some fuel left.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 09:24:10 PM »

48.5 mpg looks very good for your driving conditions. If you want better you have to do some open road cruising (but not too fast as that also hits the mpg). The hybrid system will improve the mpg for urban driving compared to a non-hybrid system by recoverings some of the energy lost when braking and using it to help with the next acceleration. However, the relatively feeble motor/generator used in Honda's IMA system must limit its ability to recover and reuse energy.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Thanks for everyone's replies.  :D

Since my original post, I have refuelled the tank and also done a service on the car, consisting of Honda Hybrid Oil and a new Honda filter. The temperature is also slightly better, I recall it was around 5 to 10 degrees every time I got into the car.

What puzzles me is the MPG I read some Toyota Yaris Hybrid owners are getting, up to 70 MPG! :o

Form my limited research, it seems to me the differences are (happy to be corrected of course!) as follows........

The Jazz Hybrid came out in 2011 (1.3 litre), the Yaris Hybrid in 2012 (1.5 litre). Unless you are standing still or moving at walking pace, the engine on the Jazz does not switch off and the electric motor only assists. However, in contrast, the Toyota’s Hybrid system can drive on (a) electricity only (b) engine only (c) both together at the same time.

I have read that up to 500 miles on 30 litres is possible.

Honda came out with the original Insight in 1999 (they were the first I think), they have (or had?) an F1 team, they have built some incredible cars (Honda NSX, for example) and spend untold amounts on R&D. I'm surprised the Toyota can better it in the MPG stakes.

Oh another thing - I test drove a Yaris Hybrid - I only drove a poverty spec version and I have an HX so hardly a fair comparison, but overall the interior in the Jazz is far nicer.

Tags:

anything