Author Topic: Climate change.  (Read 18639 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Climate change.
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
Until Climate Change starts to hit the rich nothing will be done about it. Unfortunately, like with everything else they will be the last to suffer. As Bangladesh sinks below rising seas the rich Bangladeshis will move to higher ground. The same in Europe and the US. When water hit £10 a litre the rich will still afford it, as they will at £100/litre. And they will happily fly it in from wherever it is available. It will take the poor, displaced and thirsty, rising up and imposing their order before things really start to change.
It'll be well too late before it hits the super rich.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/17/billionaires-bolthole-new-zealand-preppers-paradise
https://www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/73268/billionaire-boltholes-to-survive-the-end-of-the-world
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:32:29 PM by JimSh »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
World health organisation issued report today that says pandemics will be widespread in future....

This made me laugh. Pandemics will be widespread. You don't say!

pandemic /panˈdɛmɪk/
adjective
1. (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:45:20 PM by richardfrost »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »
Philip Hammond has warned Theresa May that plans for Net Zero Emissions, by 2050, will cost the UK £1tn, according to a report in the Financial Times.

I am a bit puzzled by this climate change thing.

The UK, as I understand it, accounts for 1% of global CO2 emissions (2015 figures).

Even if the UK doubled CO2 emissions, surely that is well within the realms of experimentally inaccuracy.

Halving it would make no measurable difference to the world. The UK taking it to zero will be economically paralysing to UK and still make not difference to the world.

Isn't the environmental (aesthetic and wild life) cost of wind farms (and so on) much more significant than our rather minimal potential contribution to global CO2 reduction efforts?

No doubt someone will explain?

This was Trump's argument for pulling out of the Paris Accord.

Why should the USA and the UK set a good example to the World? Why should we be a good neighbour and demonstrate that, whilst in the past we have made a massively devastating impact on the planet, at least now we are doing something to put it right!

Also, when the World finally wakes up to the inevitable climate disaster, there will be a huge market for the technology and skills to attempt to alleviate it. Those countries that have been fighting it already might well be in a strong position at that point.

My mother in law said something incredibly naive yesterday. She said that people in the city don't appreciate nature and the natural world as much as those that live in the countryside. I don't believe there is more than 1% of the UK countryside which still looks like it did before mankind began its agricultural assault on it shortly after the last ice age. I think there maybe some mountaintops which have not yet become meccas for hikers, and small parts of the original Caledonian Forest in Scotland remain relatively untouched. As for the rest of the UK, it has all been shaped either directly or indirectly by humans.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:58:10 PM by richardfrost »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2019, 05:21:13 PM »
Excellent point about the amount of the "so called" countryside that is truly natural. I lived in the Peak District for a while - lovely area but those moors had trees on them before men came along!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
It'll be well too late before it hits the super rich.
I think it already is. Thing is, I won't be around to see whether I am wrong or not.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
I hope my computer is not trying to tell me something, Google Earth keeps freezing - is it a sign another ice age in coming ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2019, 07:36:16 PM »
I hope my computer is not trying to tell me something, Google Earth keeps freezing - is it a sign another ice age in coming ?

Yes !!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2021, 11:07:04 AM »
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-good-news-on-climate

This could be behind a paywall but I will happily cut and paste the long article into a post if people cannot access it.  Published by an American scientist who has been part of the climate change community for over 30 years and was a member of the UN first climate change council.  He says he is struggling to find evidence of changes reported to be happening with the planet.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-good-news-on-climate

This could be behind a paywall but I will happily cut and paste the long article into a post if people cannot access it.  Published by an American scientist who has been part of the climate change community for over 30 years and was a member of the UN first climate change council.  He says he is struggling to find evidence of changes reported to be happening with the planet.
Another article on an outlier to conventional science written by a right wing blogger.

"The New York Times reported in March 2020 that, according to review of documents, Goklany was behind the insertion of “misleading language about climate change — including debunked claims that increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is beneficial” while working at the Interior Department under the Trump administration. [39]

Internally, the wording became known as “Goks uncertainty language,” after Indur Goklany's nickname. It included phrases that misleadingly suggests a lack of consensus among scientists that the earth is warming. For example, Goklany modeling “may be overestimating the rate of global warming, for whatever reason.”
https://www.desmogblog.com/indur-m-goklany

https://www.desmog.co.uk/andrew-montford

Who keeps sending you this stuff?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
It is easy to see why Goklany was promoted to Assistant Director of Programs, Science and Technology Policy at the Department of the Interior, under the Trump administration.

guest9236

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2021, 02:28:52 PM »
Ploughing through this book and it is scary. It would appear that there is nothing we can do to reverse climate change, and at best we may be able to slow it.
It is not just the things we immediately associate with climate change either. Rising Sea levels, droughts, storms. These are just some of the problems. One thing I never considered was productivity. For every degree of temperature change, productivity of the workforce falls, increasingly so as the temperature ramps up. So we say, well we will just have to air condition the workplace. But that has costs which push down productivity. They reckon that 4 degrees of a rise would give us a depression twice that of the 1930's, and with no rise afterwards. There is so much intertwined and interleaved around climate change that it is very difficult to take in. As I say I am "ploughing" through it.

Will that be with a furrowed brow Jocko ?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2021, 02:45:16 PM »
Watching a programme about the Batagaika crater in Siberia the other night. I don't fully understand the extent of the consequences of methane release, but I find that a bit scary.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/arctic-permafrost-is-thawing-it-could-speed-up-climate-change-feature

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2021, 03:49:12 PM »
Watching a programme about the Batagaika crater in Siberia the other night. I don't fully understand the extent of the consequences of methane release, but I find that a bit scary.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/arctic-permafrost-is-thawing-it-could-speed-up-climate-change-feature
Was that the Simon Reeve programme?
Methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.
The scary bit is that these global warming changes can be self reinforcing.

https://theconversation.com/emissions-of-methane-a-greenhouse-gas-far-more-potent-than-carbon-dioxide-are-rising-dangerously-142522

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2021, 04:04:08 PM »
Was that the Simon Reeve programme?
That was it, you have a better memory than me!

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »
Doubt it.

Tags: