Author Topic: Dealer error, will they do the honourable thing?  (Read 1960 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Dealer error, will they do the honourable thing?
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
Today, I booked my car in for a service, by phone.

The Service Receptionist agreed the date was fine with them, and started chatting about which service was required. They said its due Service 6 which is a major service. I mentioned that its due a CVT fluid change and the Receptionist checked the records and said it was last changed at 14k. My car is nearing 50k now, and the CVT fluid should have been changed on the last service which would have been covered under the Service Plan, but now its looking like I may have to pay for it. I will argue against it, and take it to Honda UK if need be, but hopefully they will agree to my point of view.

I will update after the service on Feb 14th.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Dealer error, will they do the honourable thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:24:13 PM »
Always tricky when miles/time get out of sync - I guess the 14K change was at 2yrs?

It's not a massive deal, and you're presumably a good customer, so hopefully they'll come good. 

A VW dealer just did the a/c service (which is a scam anyway) and brake fluid change on wife's Tiguan FOC as they forgot to say they were needed (i would have had to pay normally).   Oddly they still insisted I paid £70 for the Haldex (AWD) fluid change even though they'd initially insisted it didn't need doing - they didn't know VW had changed the interval 18mths earlier.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
I wonder how many more instances of this have occurred without the customers noticing. My HR-V's last service was scheduled to include the CVT fluid change. I was given the service sheet when I went to collect the vehicle and commented that the relevant box had not been ticked. The service technician was then interogated and gave assurance that the fluid had been changed and the store record also indicated that the CVT fluid had been used. The box was then ticked.

This incident presents and alternative scenario for Ozzie's Jazz: The fluid was changed but the box not ticked.  There's no reason for the dealer to cut corners on the service when it's covered by a service plan as the bill is sent to Honda? Did Honda get billed for the fluid change?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
What concerned me more about garages, including main dealers I have used, is when the box is ticked and the work not done. This goes on more than you might think, and there are lots of proven cases.

I think you are absolutely right to argue your case with the dealer. If they made the error of omitting the oil change at the correct interval, thus causing the work to become chargeable at a later date, they ought to do the work FOC as a goodwill gesture.

Reading some of the tales here and elsewhere, I'm glad mine only see the inside of a garage for MOTs.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
Hi,
I bought my cvt from a Nottingham main dealer. I noticed that the cvt oil had not been changed and they said it was every five years, the tyre repair gunk was ticked as OK but it was actually out of date. There was a small pivot on the seat mounting for a hand control which they said was too difficult to remove. When I got home I noticed that the front tyres had deep cracks between the treads. I had always had good service from the Derby branch of the same garage so went to see them as I had no faith in Nottingham. They serviced the car, changed the cvt fluid and replaced the puncture goo foc. I unbolted the pivot myself, took about 5 minutes. The tyres were considered OK but I didn't agree and replaced them, apart from all that I have had no problems. I was surprised to learn that if a customer decides not to have a full service the garage still stamps the book
Chris

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
These days many dealers face a dilemma  greed v customer satisfaction.
Lets hope they claim back the extra cost of the CVT change from Honda.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »
quote author=sparky Paul link=topic=10810.msg67252#msg67252 date=1547765429]
What concerned me more about garages, including main dealers I have used, is when the box is ticked and the work not done.
[/quote]

One of the times I took our Jazz for service I'm 99% sure it hadn't moved - it was still parked in the same space and at the same jaunty angle as I left it.  Doing a few K miles per year the oil stays so clean I couldn't tell if it was new or not.

I queried why brake fluid change hadn't been ticked on a VW we used to have, when it should have been done as part of the service plan, so the service advisor ticked it!  To be fair, the same happened at the indie we subsequently used, but they went to some effort to assure me it had been done.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
UPDATE

So I book the car in and the Service Manager got in quickly saying the CVT fluid will be sorted, and Honda are paying for it. They reckon they can't invoice Honda until the CVT fluid reminder is showing on the dashboard, but the Service Plan allows for two fluid changes. RESULT !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
I had a similar issue on our Jazz this month the CVT change was not ticked on the service schedule its 4 years old with just 14k,  in the end the dealership confirmed the fluid had been changed then sent a copy of their Honda invoice and offered to change the fluid again if I wished.
Good to learn that some dealerships are listening to customers.

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »
Funny - this "not ticking the box" for the CVT fluid change, when it has been, does seem to be a common habit.

Same thing happened to me too. It does make you wonder.

Perhaps the form is badly designed.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
It's not very clear on the checksheet my dealer uses. It's No. 24 on the list:
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

evijaymohan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz ES CVT7
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »
Dealer Paying for oil change is fine. But what about the damage that have or could have happened to the cvt gearbox for not changing the oil on time ?

Tags:

anything