Author Topic: Leather seats?  (Read 4572 times)

I prefer rock

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EXL 2013
Leather seats?
« on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
I'm looking for an EX Jazz, thanks to lots of helpful advice from people on here...thank you!

I wasn't aware of the EXL until recently.
Does anyone have any opinions on the leather seats? I've not had a car with them before. Am I better off sticking to the EX and hopefully spending a little less?

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Leather seats?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:40:49 PM »
It has been many years since I had a car with leather seats. I didn't like them. They had all the drawbacks of the old vinyl seats but not as hard wearing. They burn you in the summer, and until they heat up, they are freezing in the winter. I think the modern fabric seats are a much more comfortable option.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:41:38 PM »
I'm looking for an EX Jazz, thanks to lots of helpful advice from people on here...thank you!

I wasn't aware of the EXL until recently.
Does anyone have any opinions on the leather seats? I've not had a car with them before. Am I better off sticking to the EX and hopefully spending a little less?

Thanks

I have driven and travelled in cars with leather seats and frankly cannot see the attraction, they are sweaty and your bum slides around,  textile seats are much more comfortable.  My bro in law has a leather sofa and whenever I sit on it I find myself sliding towards the floor, as do most of the cushions they try to keep on it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
My brother had a leather clad Accord and travelling as a passenger was a nightmare. On the least twisty road you were sliding from side to side, even with a seat belt. Stagecoach has some interurban coaches running into Edinburgh and though there is no room to slide sideways (with the fitted arm rests), I find I have to continually push myself back in the seat.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
I love leather seats...makes the car more expensive and posh. My sister had a Hyundai Coupe and now an i30. Both were leather seats which are fine as long as you feed them by polishing the leather. Didn't experience any sliding problems.

However...with awareness of animal treatment, I rather not have them. Plus if you need to pay extra over an EX, I would forget it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:26 AM »
However...with awareness of animal treatment, I rather not have them. Plus if you need to pay extra over an EX, I would forget it.
While we continue to eat the beasts their hides will continue to be used.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
Save your money try the  EX if you enjoy get a good deal, then you have plenty of time to hunt down a Jazz EXL being dismantled , I come across just 2 in 8 years.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
I had a series of cars with leather seats - pre WW2 ones, and, a couple of Post war Rovers  Mercedes W124..
Unless you have built in seat heating for winter and seat refrigeration for summer, then they are uncomfortable. And very slidey.

I prefer synthetic fabric..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
I love leather seats...makes the car more expensive and posh. My sister had a Hyundai Coupe and now an i30. Both were leather seats which are fine as long as you feed them by polishing the leather. Didn't experience any sliding problems.

Style over substance / usability is never a good thing.   Leather seats may be better than PVC or vinyl but modern textile seats are the best for comfort, and as previous posters have said you really need heated seats with leather, and cooling ( which you never get ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
I generally prefer fabric but I had a ride in my brother's 4 series BMW recently. That has leather seats but they felt a lot nicer, less slidey and cold, than many other leather car seats I've sat in. They were almost suedy if that makes sense.

I prefer rock

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
Oddly, I've been looking around and the price seems no more than the EX, for the same year and mileage.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:26 PM »
They were almost suedy if that makes sense.
I had a leather suite, before my ex purloined it, and it had a suede finish. Very hard wearing. Seats like that would be great in a car.

culzean

• Approved Member

I prefer rock

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »
I agree with your point. I would not choose a car with leather seats from new, but this one just happens to have them.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
They were almost suedy if that makes sense.
I had a leather suite, before my ex purloined it, and it had a suede finish. Very hard wearing. Seats like that would be great in a car.

A business idea whose time has come ;D

Tags:

anything