Author Topic: Car code reader  (Read 5791 times)

Njazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 SE Sport
Car code reader
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »
I see a lot of people saying about using a code reader on their car if there is a fault.

I have never had a fault so far but would like to be prepared.

What I want to know is which ones do you all use and where do you plug it in?

MK1 GD1 2002

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Re: Car code reader
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »
You can buy the blue bluetooth dongle ones off eBay for less than £5 delivered. Download the torque app for your phone and plug the dongle in the OBD port under the dash and you're sorted. It will read off fault codes (and reset them) plus output all the sensors. I used it to monitor coolant temperature one time (as there's no gauge on the dash).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Couldn't get Bluetooth to talk to my laptop and I have a "Thick" phone, so I bought one of these.

It plugs into a socket at the left of the steering column, just below the parcel shelf.
I since have acquired a ScanGauge E and as well as all the mpg/coolant temp/rpm info it gives me, it also can be used as a code reader and resetting tool. I have it permanently connected.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »
Bear in mind that the generic bluetooth and handheld code readers will only connect to the engine ECU using the OBD2/EOBD protocol, they are unable to connect to other systems on the car.

That said, they are certainly worth having for this function alone. The bluetooth ones can be found for as little as two or three pounds direct from Chinese sellers. There are multiple free android apps available for fault code retrieval, and even apps that give similar functionality to ScanGauge. If you have a compatible phone, they are a no-brainer really.

I have one of the small bluetooth types, and an old and well used USB ELM327 cable for the PC, and both work fine with our 2008 GE3 Jazz.

To access systems other than the engine ECU on the Jazz, such as ABS, airbags & power steering, you will need Honda HDS or a clone, or one of the more sophisticated (and very expensive) systems aimed at garages, like Snap-On's Versus.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:23:18 AM by sparky Paul »

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
Hi, I purchased a Launch Creader professional v11 off eBay. AFTER I fixed my abs pump. It would have saved me a lot of time, but I learned a lot about abs because I did not have the scanner. I work on a number of cars (wife’s kids friends etc) It reads abs, and live data for abs. It will also work on 36 other vehicle manufacturers. I don’t know how well it does on the other manufacturers but I do know it would not read the abs data on a mini. The cost was £110 from eBay.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »
Hi, I purchased a Launch Creader professional v11 off eBay...

...It reads abs, and live data for abs. It will also work on 36 other vehicle manufacturers. I don’t know how well it does on the other manufacturers but I do know it would not read the abs data on a mini. The cost was £110 from eBay.

Looks a nice tool that, similar idea to the SnapOn/Delphi devices but a great deal cheaper.

I usually end up buying a Chinese clone of the dealer tool, I have a few now for the various cars that I have owned. The good points of these are that they are usually comprehensive, and usually very cheap. That's the problem with the Honda HDS HIM clone, it's not that cheap and you have to buy direct from China - expect to pay around £100 and pray that it doesn't get caught by customs.

There is a cheaper Chinese clone of an older version of HDS for Hondas up to 2010, using V2 of the software and a clone of the older GNA600 interface, but unfortunately it doesn't work fully on the Jazz (and some other models) without making a hardware modification. The slightly quirky software is also happier on Windows XP.

Remco

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 CVT 2003
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
I have bought one of these clones for my 2003 Jazz and it didn't work (tried on winXP).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XHORSE-HDS-Cable-For-Honda-Diagnostic-Cable-Auto-OBD2-HDS-Cable-Free-Shipping/32821185366.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.203d4c4d0FJVIH

What kind of hardware modification is required?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
I have bought one of these clones for my 2003 Jazz and it didn't work (tried on winXP).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XHORSE-HDS-Cable-For-Honda-Diagnostic-Cable-Auto-OBD2-HDS-Cable-Free-Shipping/32821185366.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.203d4c4d0FJVIH

It's a different cable to the one I have, but I think it may be the same basic type. Does it use the MVCI driver?

When you say it didn't work, did you manage to get it working at all? The problem I had is that it would connect to the engine PGM-FI module and EPS, but nothing else. Did you get the connection 'traffic light' indicator on the HDS software to go green? If you're not getting that far, the mod won't help - but there are other fixes for this.

edit: Reading the comments on the link, I see that a few of them also mention problems accessing SRS and ABS with this cable, same issue I had.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:30:46 PM by sparky Paul »

Remco

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:47:04 AM »
I think it uses the MVCI driver yes. The traffic light connector is green in the HDS software. I cant any info from the car with the cable unfortunately. I contacted the supplier and he said I should try on another car because the model might not be compatible.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
I think it uses the MVCI driver yes. The traffic light connector is green in the HDS software. I cant any info from the car with the cable unfortunately. I contacted the supplier and he said I should try on another car because the model might not be compatible.

A few things to check...

When installing the software, you have to select USA as the region, or it won't work properly. To start HDS up, use the 'StartHDS' link, it will take quite a while to start up first time. You then have to then change region to Europe in settings,. You should then be able to connect to the car, and it should ask you for VIN and mileage reading. Do you get that far?

If for any reason you need to uninstall and re-install the software, uninstall as normal, then make sure you delete the 'Teledyne' folder from c:/Program Files/  before going any further.

You should be able to get this working on your Jazz, though the software can be a bit temperamental. If all the software and hardware is working correctly, you should be able to connect to the PGM-FI engine and EPS modules without the mod. Making the simple modification should enable you to connect to ABS and SRS, but I would prove that it is basically working before fiddling with the cable.

I'll PM you about the modification. I could post it on here but it is used entirely at your own risk, and I don't want to be slated for posting something that damaged someone's interface, or indeed car.

edit: I can't send you a PM, it says you can't receive messages.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:46:48 PM by sparky Paul »

Remco

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »
Ah nice I will try this!
I changed my account settings so you can try to send it again, thanks!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »
I'll send you a PM Remco  ;)

vamsiktc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »
Did you finally managed to fix the tool, i am also looking for car code reader for jazz 2004 se cvt model, engine - 1399 cc petrol version, if you have any recommendations please.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 04:01:47 PM »
Sparky Paul - would you be so kind to PM me with the cable mod as well? My cable works up to a point!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »
Sparky Paul - would you be so kind to PM me with the cable mod as well? My cable works up to a point!

Does your cable look like this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-NEW-HDS-v1-4-4-OBD2-OBDII-J2534-CAN-Bus-Fit-Honda-Diagnostic-Tool-USB-Cable/202556551717

...and you say that it works up to a point, does the software connect to the engine PGM-FI and EPS modules, but nothing else?

The mod is for the type of USB interface in the listing above. There are other similar cables which use the MVCI driver, but I can't guarantee that the same mod will work with those. It's a simple enough mod, just a wire to solder in, but if you still need the info, I will have to fish it out for you - I've had a sleep since then!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:37:17 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags: