Author Topic: Exhaust blockage  (Read 2311 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Exhaust blockage
« on: January 01, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »
After a drive out today, I got home and noticed a strand of 'hair' hanging from my exhaust pipe. Pulling at it, there was more, a lot more. I was kind of dreading some animal coming out but then I realised it was more like a halloween type synthetic wig.

Seems that some iidiot at some point, has stuffed that right into my exhaust! For the last week or so I've been feeling a little whoozy when in the car, and I'm wondering if its due to that?

What sort of numpty would do such a thing, and  lord knows how it would have panned out if I hadn't spotted it.

>:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:23:36 PM by Sharon »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Exhaust blockage
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
Hi Sharon,  This is just an educated guess but I suspect what you are seeing is the sound absorbing material being blown out of the muffler.  It is not usual for this to happen so unless others have any another suggestions, I would say that you should take it to somewhere like kwik-fit and get it checked out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:19:45 PM »
Hi Sharon,  This is just an educated guess but I suspect what you are seeing is the sound absorbing material being blown out of the muffler.  It is not usual for this to happen so unless others have any another suggestions, I would say that you should take it to somewhere like kwik-fit and get it checked out.

+1

There is fibreglass in them there exhausts and if the 'holey pipe' inside is corroded it can escape.  try melting the strands with a match flame,  plastic will melt easily and probably set on fire, glass will just glow red and bend a bit.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I tried the match thing and the stuff sort of melted. As I think its a false, cheap wig thing, thern I suppose thats what it would do? It certainly wouldnt be flammable.

Anyway, heres some pics of the stuff ....

https://ibb.co/DtcGsZM
https://ibb.co/H2CLbyk
https://ibb.co/1bBQzL8

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I tried the match thing and the stuff sort of melted. As I think its a false, cheap wig thing, thern I suppose thats what it would do? It certainly wouldnt be flammable.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3608905

it is quite common for long lengths of fibreglass wadding to blow out of exhaust,  but it is normally a sign that you should get a new back box pretty quick as it is falling apart inside..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »
oh dear, what sort of cost would this be? ballpark area?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:05:51 PM »
oh dear, what sort of cost would this be? ballpark area?

Is this the same back box you had fitted in 2016 ?

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7895.msg38459#msg38459

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:33 PM »
Hmm, yes it is.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
Hmm, yes it is.

From 15 March 2016 till now is about 2 years 10 months, so out of 2 year guarantee - I think replacement exhausts are made out of old baked bean tins and as thin as paper compared to the OEM part that lasts over 10 years normally.  I have compared the weight and OEM is much heavier ( thicker steel) than likes of kwikfit, chemix etc...

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
Hmm, yes it is.

From 15 March 2016 till now is about 2 years 10 months, so out of 2 year guarantee - I think replacement exhausts are made out of old baked bean tins and as thin as paper compared to the OEM part that lasts over 10 years normally.  I have compared the weight and OEM is much heavier ( thicker steel) than likes of kwikfit, chemix etc...
Have you looked at the pictures though Culzean? Does not look like fibreglass to me. Certainly not fibreglass that has had exhaust gases blowing though it for 2 years 10 months.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »

This video quality not much good but shows long lengths of fibres comming out of exhaust and they look white / grey and not too dirty.

Modern exhaust gasses are pretty clean and devoid of soot  ( rich mixture) and burnt oil that used to happen with carburetor and worn piston rings.  Also CAT burns up a lot of stuff that used to get into exhaust...

When I had a Vauxhall in about 1973 the inside of exhaust actually set on fire and smoked for ages because of amount of oil and unburned fuel that had got into rear box packing material, but then again most older exhaust tailpipes used to have a black oily coating inside.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:55:45 PM by culzean »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 02:38:45 PM »
Wow. Thanks for finding that. I would never have thought that's what it looked like.

Tags:

anything