Author Topic: Smart Cats Eyes  (Read 1859 times)

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
Smart Cats Eyes
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
I drove down to Dunbar this afternoon to visit friends and as I drove home in the dark I came to a large island on the A720. It is controlled by traffic lights but I was amazed to see that the cats eyes were powered and switched by the traffic lights too. When the lights turn green your lanes are illuminated like a runway and as soon as the lights change to amber they go out. I was so gobsmacked I had to google them and I was right. They are LED Smart Cats eyes.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Smart Cats Eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »
They could help reduce the confusion caused by having too many lanes on some roundabouts. More lanes often get added during remodelling as somewhere to hold the traffic stopped by the traffic lights and drivers are somehow expected to be in the appropiate lanes for the requred exit (and then merge together - I've encountered situations where three lanes of traffic on a roundabout have to become one lane on the road from the roundabout). The lanes on the roundabouts are often marked with road numbers or other cryptic words but such markings are invisible when covered by traffic. Lights for lane guidance should be better in this respect as they should be to the sides of vehicles, not underneath. However, there's still the challenge of being in the correct lane at the start which also has the problem of markings hidden under queuing traffic.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »
We have had cats eyes on a short stretch of road in Shropshire for over 10 years now that stay lit up after a vehicle has passed - they are somehow powered by vehicle lights - they were a trial but never got rolled out to other roads.  Probably same ones as in Honest John Forum

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17320

the newer ones now coming along are solar powered ( made by UK company) so light up all the time at night and can be seen a long way off and could change colour from white to blue if road temperature dropped low enough to freeze,  there were also reports of the new ones being fitted with speed cameras.  These new ones may also be wireless control from traffic lights - and colour changing. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11845616/End-of-the-road-for-cats-eyes.html

On the subject of road island some are really badly designed and expect drivers to change lanes (sometime is quite a short space) as they transit around the island ( and as John Ratsey says you cannot see the lane markings when in heavy traffic, and often as you exit island the lanes all narrow down into one ), others I have used are so well thought out that as long as you get in correct lane when you enter the island the lanes spiral around and you go off at the correct exit.  One island in particular is really bad, the one where A41 meets A55 ( I think ) just outside Chester, it used to be a complete island but some clever clogs turned it into an island with bits missing, where you have to turn at a right angle and get across to correct lane at same time, otherwise you are heading back onto A41 the same way you just entered the island - it used to be OK but now it is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:17:55 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
On the subject of road island some are really badly designed and expect drivers to change lanes (sometime is quite a short space) as they transit around the island ( and as John Ratsey says you cannot see the lane markings when in heavy traffic, and often as you exit island the lanes all narrow down into one ), others I have used are so well thought out that as long as you get in correct lane when you enter the island the lanes spiral around and you go off at the correct exit.

I think those roundabouts account for 90% of my hooter use these days. Any 'roundabout improvements' these days seem to mean the introduction of this sort of system, sometimes with traffic lights on the roundabout itself, making it even more difficult for those who ignore the road markings.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
On the subject of road island some are really badly designed and expect drivers to change lanes (sometime is quite a short space) as they transit around the island ( and as John Ratsey says you cannot see the lane markings when in heavy traffic, and often as you exit island the lanes all narrow down into one ), others I have used are so well thought out that as long as you get in correct lane when you enter the island the lanes spiral around and you go off at the correct exit.

I think those roundabouts account for 90% of my hooter use these days. Any 'roundabout improvements' these days seem to mean the introduction of this sort of system, sometimes with traffic lights on the roundabout itself, making it even more difficult for those who ignore the road markings.

I hate full time traffic lights on roundabouts - I used to travel to work before 5 am and still the traffic lights on islands by where I live would stop me pretty much all the time,  and very often I was the only vehicle on the road WTF !  Also on large islands the lights simply let the traffic go only to be stopped by the next set, the traffic just indexes round one segment at a time and this makes it pretty much impossible to change lanes as you are hemmed in the whole time ( and can't see lane markers anyway).  In one stretch of road by us in less than a mile there are 8 sets of lights,  and they are not synchronised in any way, you can get through one only to find the next on red,  and if you turn off you will probably find another set on red within 50 metres and then the the traffic backs up to the previous lights and stops up the junction.   One island was replaced entirely by traffic lights and with the filter lights blocking and releasing various lanes people often see a green light and pull way ( into the path of other traffic ) it is far more dangerous than the Island ever was.

We live in a touristy area by Ironbridge in Shropshire and I am always aware that many drivers may not be local and try to be understanding if cars are in the wrong lanes ( at least if they indicate their intentions,  which BMW's never seem to do).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:20:19 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
Used the Sheriffhall Roundabout today, the first time for a while, and saw the Smart Cat's Eyes. They are great. It is large, light controlled, multi-lane roundabout handling traffic from the A7, A68 and A1, all of which join the A720 at or within a couple of junctions of the roundabout. The cat's eyes illuminate even in daytime (it was heavy overcast today and they were quite evident). Only BMW and Audi drivers could fail to notice them!

Tags:

anything