Author Topic: Working engine hard .... drawbacks?  (Read 3213 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Working engine hard .... drawbacks?
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:39:07 PM »
I was just wondering about opinions on working a Mk3 2018 CVT / 1.3 engine hard - day to day - can it handle it? Wear and tear / damage wise .... Eg pulling away fast regularly (...'jazz fast'). We know its not a fast car in that sense so the engine is arguably working beyond its 'design'.

The car is new with under 600 miles so I wont be doing it but I went on a long drive today and from time to time I had to rev it in traffic and up a few inclines. A few times when pulling away / putting foot down - the lights on the dash still showed green.. so economical...

Anyway, just wondering what experienced Jazz owners think. I craved alittle more speed / power today...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:04:38 PM by JazzyJJ »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Working engine 'hard'.... drawbacks?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
The only way you are likely to damage a Honda engine is to not maintain it properly. Modern engines are built to much tighter tolerances than older engines and hardly need running in at all and certainly not for the several thousand miles like the 'good old days'.
Honda engines thrive on revs so there is no need to hold on to the higher gears.

Vic.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Working engine 'hard'.... drawbacks?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
The average driver only uses a fraction of an engines capabilities, you would lose your licence or park your car on its roof in a field before you harm your engine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:00:24 PM by Skyrider »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Re: Working engine hard .... drawbacks?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:09:59 PM »
Slightly off topic... anyone notice better fuel economy with shell v-power? I know its better for the engine according to HonestJohn. In my experience with the old mk1 jazz and this jazz (although only half way through 2nd tank with this jazz / 1st tank was dealership fuel) ive found better economy with 'cheap' fuel... but its a very unscientific observation. I want to stick to V-Power - and need to work out how much extra cost it adds over a year of travel.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
The main thing that effects economy is your right foot. The engine is designed to run on standard 95 octane unleaded. Anything else is marketing bullsh**t designed to enhance fuel companies profit.

I agree with this guy!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:32:22 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »
Slightly off topic... anyone notice better fuel economy with shell v-power? I know its better for the engine according to HonestJohn. In my experience with the old mk1 jazz and this jazz (although only half way through 2nd tank with this jazz / 1st tank was dealership fuel) ive found better economy with 'cheap' fuel... but its a very unscientific observation. I want to stick to V-Power - and need to work out how much extra cost it adds over a year of travel.

I found better economy with higher octane but would not use it every fill-up, may be every third or fourth. I also put a bit of redex in every couple of months and have never had a problem with fuel system on any car or motorbike I have had (when I put higher octane in one of my bikes it actually ran worse as the bikes ECU could not alter ignition timing to make use of it). Modern car and bike ECU are well capable of altering ignition timing to make use of higher octane and IMHO feel smoother and perkier. Handbook says minimum of 95 octane, but no maximum stated, for other parts of the world the engine may be modified to run on lower octane fuel.

Don't worry about damaging your Honda engine, all mine have done large mileages and have bounced off rev limiter more than once.  Just keep decent oil in the engine.  Take it easy for first couple of thousand miles is all modern engines require.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:28:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »
It's also worth noting that gentle acceleration is not the most efficient way to speed up. Moderate acceleration is better. In fact engines are most efficient at wide open throttle but there are clearly (I hope!) reasons why you should only occasionally drive with your foot flat to the floor. Moderate acceleration (typically around 3,000 rpm is a good compromise.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 05:33:58 PM »
I used V-Power for a few top ups, and found car ran smoother. It also appeared to give me slightly better mpg, but not enough to justify the extra cost.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
I think any improvement felt by using greater than 95 octane fuel in a Jazz is psychological justification for the extra expense. It is reputedly a free country so it is a choice we all have.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:41:23 PM by Skyrider »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
I have noticed a contradiction, some people monitor their fuel consumption to an accuracy of a teaspoonful of a gallon, yet are happy to use the most expensive high octane fuel they can find. Obviously cost is not in the equation so why drive  like a granny? Unless by you are one of course. ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
I have noticed a contradiction, some people monitor their fuel consumption to an accuracy of a teaspoonful of a gallon, yet are happy to use the most expensive high octane fuel they can find. Obviously cost is not in the equation so why drive  like a granny? Unless by you are one of course. ;D

I found over many years of an 80 mile a day commute that higher octane fuel can be cost effective as it does give better mpg (or it can give a bit more power,  which if you use it unfortunately negates the better fuel consumption) - I have found this on both Jazz and Civic.  And no it is not a placebo effect ( I did a blind trial on her indoors car),  my wife used to use supermarket fuel and her identical Jazz never ran as well as mine did,  I filled it up (without her knowledge) with Ultimate and she actually asked me 'if I had tuned her car' - when I told her it was just the fuel she never used supermarket fuel again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:36:19 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 08:35:02 AM »
I think any improvement felt by using greater than 95 octane fuel in a Jazz is psychological justification for the extra expense. It is reputedly a free country so it is a choice we all have.

For the past 50 odd years I have also believed that using a higher octane than needed to stop detonation (pinking) was a waste of money.

However modern engines detect pinking and can advance the ignition accordingly. Changed ignition timing with higher octane fuel provides a technical reason for better performance that didn't apply in the olden days.

I can't claim I have seen a difference myself but I have a more open mind now.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »

At least one granny I know (my other half) drives her car hard.... acceleration, braking and motorway speed.. :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
Obviously cost is not in the equation so why drive  like a granny?
I am retired, have all the time in the world (St Peter permitting!), and treat striving for great mpg as a game.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »
That woke up a quiet forum!  ;D

Tags:

anything