Author Topic: oil filter  (Read 2952 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
oil filter
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
Hi members are the mann oil filters as good as Honda oil filters as Honda filters are now so expensive as any body used these filters in the pass Mann filters.Dave.   

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: oil filter
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
Hi, just fitted a Mann air filter to my Jazz, can't tell the difference, seems good quality and I have seen piles of them in my local independent village garage before, can't imagine you'd have any problems. They are part of one the major aftermarket parts groups but I can't remember which one, they sell filters under other well known makes as well.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
You can get a genuine Honda oil filter from Cox for £10 your local dealer probably about the same. I don't call that expensive, skimp on cabin or air filter by all means, but oil filters are way to important to save a couple of quid on. If filters too fine they can block and go into bypass (no filtering) or if too coarse will let bigger debris through that can cause damage.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
I agree Honda genuine parts are high quality and ten quid isn't ridiculous for an oil filter, however there are tens of millions of cars driving round full of other brand's parts with no issues whatsoever, some parts are equal, some worse &, some are better, horses for courses I guess.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
I just buy the cheapest the Motor Factors are selling. Have done for ever, and never had the least bit of bother. Mind you. I only ever do about 200,000 miles with a car.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »
Good policy Jocko, at least the price is always right!

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:27 PM »
The genuine Honda oil filter sold by UK dealers is in fact made by Purflux which is part of the Sogefi Group which also manufacture filters under the Fram brand. The equivalent part for Purflux oil filter is LS350 and Fram is PH5317. Both items (more so the Fram) can be purchased through your local motor factor at much less than the genuine Honda item and the quality is exactly the same even down to the unique diamond pleating filtration element inside the filter.
On a different subject the Honda cabin filter is made by Micronair and again it can be purchased under the Corteco brand part number CP1110 this is for the GD Jazz

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
It is usually Fram, that the local Motor Factor has in stock.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
There's nothing wrong with Fram, Purflux, or indeed Mann filters. The Fram and Purflux do look identical to the genuine Honda part, including the rather unusual seal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »
There's nothing wrong with Fram, Purflux, or indeed Mann filters. The Fram and Purflux do look identical to the genuine Honda part, including the rather unusual seal.

I do not know of any car maker that actually make their own filters (or spark plugs, alternators etc.) but having worked in first tier suppliers, often with a satellite factory attached to car maker plant to feed parts in directly I do know about the quality control that car makers demand from suppliers.  The parts for one car maker may or may not go down same production line as those for sale to others through motor factors etc. The difference is that as part of their QC car makers will generally take a random sample from batches supplied and test them,  and also cut them open to make sure all is as it should be - and if it is not stiff penalties apply and the whole shipment will be rejected  which causes major problems with 'Just in time' deliveries as the supplier  has to rectify any problem, convince the car maker QC that the problem has been rectified (and procedures put in place to ensure it cannot happen again) and for a repeat offence the supplier can lose their hard earned and cherished preferred quality assured supplier rating - which in some cases can mean redundancies and plant closures.  Honda and Toyota were our most picky customers but were fair to deal with, the BMW Mini plant at Cowley were the harshest,  and would invoke their penalty clauses in the blink of an eye (£250,000 for every hour you failed to deliver parts if it caused a stoppage of their production line), the problem is in these days of just in time production (the clue is in the name) the car makers keeps no buffer stock and the supplier keeps the minimum they can,  and if your parts get rejected the stock at both the supplier and car plant are suspect and all have to be 100% inspected (at supplier cost) before use.

So the difference between an OEM part and a generic part is mainly in the level of quality control applied, and the loss of a entire car companies business ( maybe worldwide) weighs heavily on suppliers,  if you supply parts to car motor factors and the general public you may get isolated complaints, but believe me OE suppliers 'sh!t themselves when car a maker sends a team in for inspections and get suicidal when they ship bad parts and go through the wringer of inspections and audits and maybe big expense and potential loss of business.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:48:35 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
Hi i have seen them on u tube cut open different makes of oil filters to see which add most paper filament in side and fram was the worst the spring was spring plate and not a proper spring like the other filters and the paper inside was the shortish in length as well i would not buy fram filters   

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 02:04:27 AM »
How many oil filters do you use a year? For a few extra you have a genuine Honda filter. The only other brand i would choose is Hamp, Hamp Synergy is aftermarket designed by Honda. But if you save money with those... ;)

The Purflux filter may look the same inside and out, but the difference is in, like Culzean said, the extra quality control in the production line they print Honda on.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
The HAMP filter looks the same as the Honda/Purflux one too.

My advice if you are on a budget? Keep your eyes peeled on auction sites, you can often pick up genuine Honda filters for only a few pounds more than the cheapest aftermarket. I've used all sorts of filters in the past, but buy genuine if possible. If the difference is only a couple of quid, is a cheap filter really worth it?

There's just been some genuine Honda filters on that well known auction site for £8 delivered, boxed with sump washer. If you're quick, there's one left.  ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-OIL-FILTER-PETROL-MODELS-WITH-SUMP-WASHER-NEW/132647095990

edit: Who bought it? Own up!  ;D

There are some more that aren't a lot dearer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:21:21 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything