Author Topic: P0489 dtc  (Read 2023 times)

guest7032

P0489 dtc
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

My mighty jazz has developed a problem and the eml light has come on. The fault code is P0489 which is egr valve circuit A control voltage low. I’ve replaced the egr with another used one as from what I’ve read that the egr is a common issue and the fault has reappeared. I’ve notice no drop off in fuel economy and it still drives ok.
Has anyone seen this code before? When I google it not a lot comes up.

Thanks Jon

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: P0489 dtc
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »
Did you fit a new valve or a secondhand part?

guest7032

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
I fitted a used one as I wasn’t prepared to pay over £200 for a new one.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »
"Control voltage low" should be a fault on the EGR solenoid circuit, I would check the EGR valve connector and wiring carefully for corrosion, breaks or chafing first.

guest7032

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »
Thanks Paul, I’ll give that loom a good check over.

guest7032

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
"Control voltage low" should be a fault on the EGR solenoid circuit, I would check the EGR valve connector and wiring carefully for corrosion, breaks or chafing first.

Is these any particular area of the loom that’s common?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
"Control voltage low" is the description of the code but the voltage can be low because the passages are restricted and the feedback signal is not what the ECM expects. I would clean the ports first, before searching the wiring.

guest7032

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:47:38 PM »
When the eml came on the first time I took the valve off cleaned that and removed the housing which it bolts to and cleaned that out with carb cleaner.i undone the two nuts and pulled it forward past the studs but left the hose contected. To be fair it wasn’t that bad.hardly any carbon build up. I also sprayed some into the ports which go into the cylinder head.

Is there more I should strip and clean or have I done the usual suspects. A video I saw online showed a cast intake manifold where they removed a cover to expose some ports. Is this cover also on the plastic intakes? Mine is a 04 plate 1.4 if that makes any difference.

The car is my daily commuter back and for work so does 50 miles plus of motorway driving per day so it has a good blast and I’m not afraid to rev the little thing.

Thank you all for your help

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:27 AM »
Doesn't sound to me like there is much more you could clean. Was it a NEW valve or a secondhand one that you fitted?

guest7032

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »
It was a secondhand valve that looks  in good condition. No rust on the outside of the solenoid. I don’t think it’s the valve as it came up with exactly the same code after a similar distance of driving compared with when I’ve reset the eml light before 

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
As swapping the EGR valve has made no difference, I would be inclined to clean the original valve thoroughly and replace it. A stuck EGR is a very common fault on these, and a jammed shut EGR can throw up spurious fault codes and few other symptoms, rather than the jerking/stalling symptoms which are normally experienced without putting the EML on. That said, the more typical faults seen are "insufficient lift" or "sensor circuit" faults. The actual valves rarely fail completely.

The valve pintle is sprung quite strongly to hold it shut, but the important thing is that it moves freely and smoothly with moderate force. To check this, you will need some sort of implement to carefully lift the pintle from the seat so you can get a purchase on it.

When cleaning, make sure you douse it in carb cleaner, leave it upside down for a while to soften the deposits, exercise the pintle a bit to clean out the carbon around the shaft, then flush again with carb cleaner - that's where the problems normally lie.

Obviously, a new EGR valve would eliminate it as the cause, but I appreciate the cost - you can get a pattern part cheaper, but you are still into 3 figures. A known working EGR valve would be would be the next best option, but a clean item from a scrapped car is normally a sensible option.

The odd thing for me here is that the fault appears to be exactly the same with the replacement valve, and jamming shut is not the most common mode of failure. If the pintle on the valve is clean and moving freely, then I would start thinking about electrical problems, rather than mechanical. I don't think that the loom is known to give any particular problems, not like the known issues you find with VWs or Renaults.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
As swapping the EGR valve has made no difference, I would be inclined to clean the original valve thoroughly and replace it.
That is what I would do. I'd strip it entirely. After all. if you break it, it won't matter as you have already decided it is defective.

Tags:

anything