Author Topic: Sidelight bulb replacement....  (Read 3474 times)

JazzMan2018

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
Sidelight bulb replacement....
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »
Hi,

Notice the drivers side bulb is out

Looks like a bit of a pain to get to, so options are

1 Fix myself

2 Get Halfords to do it

3 Something else!

Last car was a Focus and access was easy but online guides for the Jazz say I need to maybe jack the car to release the wheel liner to get access to the headlight? Anyone done it themselves?

An idea what Halfords charge (yes, I will call them tomorrow!)

Thanks

Alan

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Sidelight bulb replacement....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
Hi,

Notice the drivers side bulb is out

Looks like a bit of a pain to get to, so options are

1 Fix myself

2 Get Halfords to do it

3 Something else!

Last car was a Focus and access was easy but online guides for the Jazz say I need to maybe jack the car to release the wheel liner to get access to the headlight? Anyone done it themselves?

An idea what Halfords charge (yes, I will call them tomorrow!)

Thanks

Alan

It is a bit of a PITA and you do have to take wheel off and pull wheel arch plastic out of the way,  may as well do all bulbs on both sides while you are doing one (headlights and sidelights)- TIP-- if you trained in gynaecology it helps   :o . Some of the plastic fastenings go through 1 layer and some through 2 - you can see difference in length - IIRC there are a couple of screws in top of wheelarch holding lining,  and one or two down along bottom by bumper end.

This may help - fitfreaks (USA) forum is pretty good

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5321.msg23660#msg23660

Here is youtube video from fitfreaks thread above showing how to do it without taking wheel off - I tried this and it is not a good idea,  take the wheel off and check brakes at same time.

The main things to remember are that

1. the larger pin of the 3 pins on the back of the bulb goes at the top, and horizontal,  this will help locate the bulb properly in ts holder.

2.  do not touch the glass on headlamp bulbs with bare hands, the salt and grease in your sweat will cause local overheating and damage to the special glass and bulb will fail in hours (normally blows a bubble in the glass).  If you do touch glass wipe it over very thoroughly and carefully with either some of those spectacle cleaning wipes that come in sachets or some methylated spirits on a clean tissue - both contain alcohol which will remove salt and grease.

3. be careful about bending the plastic under-guarding too much,  it can get brittle as it gets older and may split or crack.

Halfords may well charge you £100 for fitting if you turn up in a Mk1 Jazz ..........
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:39:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything