Author Topic: Charging issues--  (Read 786 times)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES+
Re: Charging issues--
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
Problematic earths can give weird symptoms. In this case I suspect that the resistance through the light bulb is less than through the earth path when the electrical load is reduced.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »
Problematic earths can give weird symptoms. In this case I suspect that the resistance through the light bulb is less than through the earth path when the electrical load is reduced.

Have a look at this thread,  as soon as I get a car I fit a braided earth cable direct from battery to engine block,  I do not trust the flimsy earth connections that car makers use,  which are open to corrosion.   Dodgy earths cause more than enough problems on vehicles, anyone remember brake lights that used to flash when indicators were operated, and indicators coming on with brake lights etc. etc.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9612.msg53584#msg53584

there are three pages in the attached PDF in this link
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:59:01 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nalimugmug

• Topic Starter
  • My Honda: jazz mk 2
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »

Hi again,

Many thanks to those that have chimed in with my issue.

Yesterday I checked and rechecked that all the earth points were tight, which they were, today I fitted an earth lead from the battery neg to the engine block as was suggested.

Went up the road- light came on.

Its not the end of the world that I have to switch on something for the light to go out, the less intrusive item to energise is the rear window heater.

The saga continues.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
Seems like it may be a good time to have a chat to an Auto Electrician. Someone who earns a living from working on these sort of problems. I had an issue with the air bag warning light on my Volvo. I went to a local guy who knew immediately what the problem was. He repaired it within the day and the price was most reasonable (even as an OAP). It was the connector to one of the front impact sensors for the static restraint system, a common fault, he told me, though Google hadn't been much help to me.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »

Hi again,

Many thanks to those that have chimed in with my issue.

Yesterday I checked and rechecked that all the earth points were tight, which they were, today I fitted an earth lead from the battery neg to the engine block as was suggested.

Went up the road- light came on.

Its not the end of the world that I have to switch on something for the light to go out, the less intrusive item to energise is the rear window heater.

The saga continues.

The extra braid to engine is good to have anyway IMHO.

There are a few sensors involved in charging voltage including ambient temperature,  maybe engine temp etc. which feed back to ECU.  Origina idea was to limit charging voltage at very low or high temps to prevent battery damage and extend battery life,  but as usual when things get too complicated they can be a mare to fix.   

Found this article (USA) that kind of explains how complicated a modern battery charging system can be.... http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=auto_pres

Maybe time to have a look at OBD to see if any sensor faults logged. Is your temperature readout on dash showing correct temperature ?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:03:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nalimugmug

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
Just ordered an OBD tool.

Will let you know what it finds.

Bob

nalimugmug

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:29 AM »
Culzean,

Forgot to thank you for this.

Found this article (USA) that kind of explains how complicated a modern battery charging system can be.... http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=auto_pres.

Interesting read

Bob

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
Yes an interesting read.

Problem is the more electronics you design into a car to get that extra 1mpg the more there is to go wrong. :(

Is anyone else on here, like me, old enough to remember the only electronics under the bonnet was a Battery, alternator, starter motor, coil, distributor and 4 spark plugs? You could diagnose a problem in 5 minutes LOL!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
I go back even before alternators, back to the days of the old generator.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
Just about remember those Jocko; not so efficient were they; but I guess did the job. :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 GE3 Jazz 1.4 i-DSI SE
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 06:08:11 PM »
I go back even before alternators, back to the days of the old generator.

Not only do I remember them, I was working on one a while ago, on a 1956 Land Rover - refurbishing and setting up the old Lucas control box. Owner thought the original dynamo charging system was dead forever, but it's now back in regular use and charging like a good'un.

nalimugmug

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
Have just plugged in OBD reader-

One code shown- P0304-Cylinder 4 misfire detected.

Cleared this code, drove up the road, as usual battery charge light came on, returned home and checked for codes again- all clear.

Having Googled the above code I cant see anything there that has anything to do with the charging system.

The plot thickens!

Tags: