Author Topic: FM radio problem  (Read 2428 times)

JazzMan2018

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
FM radio problem
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:34:29 PM »
Hi,

My Jazz has the radio/CD with the big LCD display (not sure of radio model - 2005 car)

If I seek a station on FM, it maybe picks up 1 or 2, but there are loads of stations round where I live

Is there a way to set the sensitivity of the receiver?, or could it be an ariel connection issue?

AM is fine

Cheers

Alan

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: FM radio problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »
Sound like an aerial problem to me. The way I always used to check it was to slide out the radio; not sure how easy it is on that model; get a cheap few quid telescopic aerial and plug that in the back (you may need an adaptor; available on ebay or local motorist shop for a couple of quid).

If it works OK on that when held out of the window then the fault lies with the aerial or aerial cable. Sometimes the little aerial amp in the base of the roof aerial fails (if it has one) and causes very poor sensitivity.

Replacing the aerial on the roof can be expensive, especially if all the head lining has to be removed; I've heard of quotes well over £100 in the past so you need to check as above first. I've even heard of people using the cheap telescopic aerials and fit them on the top of the wheel arches to save the expense on older cars.

If checking with a separate aerial doesn't cure the problem then the fault is in the radio and you may need a replacement or repair.

P.S. I used to do car radios for a living before I retired.

Mike.

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice

I changed the angle of the arial and reception back to normal so clearly some kind of connection issue

If it goes again, I'll try a more thorough clean and examination

Alan

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice

I changed the angle of the arial and reception back to normal so clearly some kind of connection issue

If it goes again, I'll try a more thorough clean and examination

Alan

Was the aerial lying too flat before ?  They do work better when they are more upright - the normal 45 degree angle on the front mounted MK1 Jazz I believe is a compromise between reception and wind.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
The aerial, vertical, gives the best signal and so, reception. The roof is the aerial ground plane. I have mine at the steepest angle I can, to clear the garage door, as I reverse in. It is adjusted to within a few millimetres of the door!

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »
Hi,

TBH I can't remember but I will make the ariel as vertical as I can as I park outside and don't have to clear any obstacles!

Thanks

Tags: