Author Topic: Protecting Keyless Entry?  (Read 5065 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Protecting Keyless Entry?
« on: May 25, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
How are those with key less entry protecting their keys from people copying the keys signal and running off with the Jazz?

I knows its 'only' a Jazz but you never know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MONOJOY-Blocking-Antitheft-Protection-Security/dp/B076KZF645/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527284278&sr=8-3&keywords=keyless+car+key+signal+blocker
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:39:33 PM by JazzyJJ »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Protecting Keyless Entry?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:45:29 PM »
If you really think your Jazz is at risk of being stolen from your home, ( must be a really rough area ) keep the keys in a metal container, a biscuit tin is one option. Any tin with a lid will do.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:47:02 PM by Skyrider »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
I do nothing. When not in use my car resides in a locked garage. But to be honest, I could, and have in the past, leave a car in my drive with the keys in it.  So glad to live in rural Dorset.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:00:55 AM »
I do nothing. When not in use my car resides in a locked garage. But to be honest, I could, and have in the past, leave a car in my drive with the keys in it.  So glad to live in rural Dorset.

Similar here, just a bit (or a lot) to the north. It's all about location!. :-)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
If you really think your Jazz is at risk of being stolen from your home, ( must be a really rough area ) keep the keys in a metal container, a biscuit tin is one option. Any tin with a lid will do.

Wrap it in kitchen foil or a metalised crisp packet as a temporary fix.  Even the budgies cage may do it, it is called a 'Faraday cage' after the great scientist (it is the same principle as the 'see through' metal mesh door on your microwave.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/australian-sacked-skipping-work-using-crisp-packet-hide-whereabouts/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:16:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »

Nah, I’m not in a rough area. Doubt anyone wants to nick and export a Jazz. Just wondered about best practice since I’ve seen it done on tv etc. However, the local thief’s will do it for fun once they get hold of the tech. As I wrote fun and Jazz I thought... “nah” they won’t  :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:43:03 AM by JazzyJJ »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
I don't know why the remote doesn't have an on/off switch, after all there is already a slider to release the key. Something similar is needed to turn the remote off.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
I don't know why the remote doesn't have an on/off switch, after all there is already a slider to release the key. Something similar is needed to turn the remote off.

At some stage it gets to the point where you may as well use a key.  Some may say that it is at that point already.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »

At some stage it gets to the point where you may as well use a key.  Some may say that it is at that point already.

What is convenient for the rightful owner is often very convenient for the criminal fraternity as well  :-X

Nothing that uses radio waves or is connected to the internet is secure,  I used to like my original Civic which used infra-red keyfob to lock and unlock doors - sensor was up by front interior lights / drivers mirror.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:09:42 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
"As I wrote fun and Jazz I thought... “nah” they won’t"

I take it you have not driven a 1.5 Jazz?  Floor a 1.5 and you certainly surprise a few people! :-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:55:46 AM by Skyrider »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
Unfortunately not. Wish they had that engine in all models. I take back the fun and jazz comment - was jokey, i genuinely enjoying driving my 07 manual jazz. I push it these days and it works for me. Maybe I’m so used to driving it that i know what it can do. Anyway.... let’s hope I get to that point with the cvt.

I’d look like a boy racer type in the 1.5 sport... just didn’t fit the look I wanted.. shame.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:40:29 PM by JazzyJJ »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
I’d look like a boy racer type in the 1.5 sport... just didn’t fit the look I wanted.. shame.

I would prefer one without the boy racer plastic body kit but I am of an age where I don't care what others think of me. :-)

guest7675

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »
To be honest im glad my sport i have ordered does not have keyless entry.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »
Heh. I don't think many people would want to go back. I thought it was a pointless gimmick at first but now I wish the technology would evolve to the point where I could safely use it for my house. I find the whole idea of having to use a specially shaped piece of metal to open a door archaic. And even the idea of pressing a button now seems quaint.

In any case I wouldn't consider the sport unless Honda equip it properly. As currently marketed it's the runt of the litter and the only thing it has going for it is a bit more pep. Whoop-dee-doo. There are few situations where that is useful. On the other hand climate control is useful almost every day of the year.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:03:13 AM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »

+1. I once had a car with a keyless system , did not like it and one reason I bought an SE. So glad the Sport does not have keyless or climate. It's a pity Honda didn't put the 1.5 engine in an SE, or maybe they did!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:44:13 PM by Skyrider »

Tags: