Author Topic: Intermittent hesitation on acceleration  (Read 5372 times)

tonytan

• Approved Member
Intermittent hesitation on acceleration
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
My older Jazz (which I have 2) which has now done nearly 99,000 mainly faultless miles has been suffering a hesitation on acceleration for the last 2 years but the problem seems to get worse especially during the hotter season so I decided to get it looked at now. My first port of call was to ask my local Honda whom I know pretty well (it also helps when I work in the motor trade) and without hesitation they mentioned replacing all 4 rear ignition coils which they say is very common on cars of that mileage. I wasn't convinced that all 4 coils could fail at the same time and since each coil from Honda was slightly over £100 a piece I could not justify it. Nevertheless I sourced 4 Lucas coils from my local motor factor at £40 a piece and fitted them and to my total disbelief the hesitation has now completely disappeared. By the way there was no fault codes present and spark plugs have been replaced regularly.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
Re: Intermittent hesitation on acceleration
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
Is hesitation the same as when you accelerate it feels like the engine is spinning and not driving the car forward, sometimes i need to accelerate very slowly to avoid this.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
Is hesitation the same as when you accelerate it feels like the engine is spinning and not driving the car forward, sometimes i need to accelerate very slowly to avoid this.
That sounds like the clutch is on its way out to me. Experienced that, once, on my SAAB 99.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
Yes the cluth died not long after and i got a new one. My MPG is still sucky though, is there a simple way to test coils? I've changed all 8 plugs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:39:06 AM »
Defective coils show themselves in far less subtle ways than just poor mpg. After a longish run, try coming to a halt without using your brakes, then check the temperature of your wheels (careful you don't burn your hand). If one or more wheel centre is warm the chances are you have a brake sticking.
Have you ever had good mpg with this car? Driving style has a major impact on mpg, far more than anything else.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
Trip computer said the car seller was getting just under 20mpg, i've got it upto 40mpg with all my fixes, still 10 short of you though.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
Computer only shows the mpg since the last time it was reset, so if the seller reset it, then crawled across the city you could expect a low figure.
My mpg figures are not typical for most Jazz owners. I drive, specifically to achieve good mpg figures. I will go 10 miles to get 50 mpg rather than 2 miles to get 49! It is a game with me. I have a ScanGauge E fitted to my OBD 2 port, and I try to make good use of it. If I am driving on the motorway at 60 mph and I come upon an HGV doing 50 I will tuck in behind him and get the benefit of the tow (not too close as to be unsafe).
I am sure you could get your numbers up just by anticipating traffic and traffic lights (I switch off the engine at known "long" lights). Driving without using the brakes is the best way to learn anticipation. I consider the use of the brakes, other than for stopping and for controlling my speed on downhill sections, to be a failure on my part. There is no point in accelerating then braking, both using up needless energy (fuel), when keeping a constant speed would achieve the same end but with no wasted energy. I try to avoid having the car come to a complete stop at lights and in queues, as the biggest waste of energy is getting moving again.

Some good tips to be found here
https://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php
but no need to go to some of their extremes.

bigsteve7777777

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 12:55:48 PM »
wonder if coils could be same problem on lower mileage car as well, mine has identical problem but only done 40k.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »
My older Jazz (which I have 2) which has now done nearly 99,000 mainly faultless miles has been suffering a hesitation on acceleration for the last 2 years but the problem seems to get worse especially during the hotter season so I decided to get it looked at now. My first port of call was to ask my local Honda whom I know pretty well (it also helps when I work in the motor trade) and without hesitation they mentioned replacing all 4 rear ignition coils which they say is very common on cars of that mileage. I wasn't convinced that all 4 coils could fail at the same time and since each coil from Honda was slightly over £100 a piece I could not justify it. Nevertheless I sourced 4 Lucas coils from my local motor factor at £40 a piece and fitted them and to my total disbelief the hesitation has now completely disappeared. By the way there was no fault codes present and spark plugs have been replaced regularly.

Please post the part number for the coils from Lucas.  £40 a coil is  nice, £100 per coil is not nice!!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »
Try ebay for Lucas coils

Tags: