Author Topic: Had to get my hands dirty (sort of).  (Read 1382 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Had to get my hands dirty (sort of).
« on: May 09, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »
As I have said elsewhere, I regularly check my obligatory light, and today was one of those times. One of my number plate lights wasn't working, but a gently tap brought it back on. With the MOT test just a few weeks away I though I had better do a proper job.
Later in the morning I popped down to the garage with Servisol in hand. I figured, with it being a wedge style bulb, that it would be a poor connection. After removing the lamp I duly sprayed the connector and the contacts. I refitted the bulb, switched on and........... nothing. The bulb looked okay, and then I remembered my son-in-law had cleared out a stack of bulbs and they were in the corner of my tool box. As luck would have it there were a couple of the type I required. New bulb in and "Hey Presto". I even took the time to clean the rear of the lamp and the cavity it sits in. Job well done and a bit of satisfaction for doing it myself.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Had to get my hands dirty (sort of).
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
The most common MOT failure - lights not working, next wiper & no water in the screen bottle.
Your in a good position for the forthcoming MOT.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
The filaments in these little bulbs can go intermittent Jocko and tapping it can bring it back for a little while when the broken filament catches on the support it broke from. Yes, it would fail the moment you drove into the garage for the MOT. LOL.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »
The filaments in these little bulbs can go intermittent Jocko and tapping it can bring it back for a little while when the broken filament catches on the support it broke from.
I have seen that happen on a number of occasions. I used to have a motor cycle that had a bulb like that. You had to smack it every time. Eventually I replaced the bulb, and in the entire time I had the bike I never got a bulb that gave such a good light. And old bikes were hard on bulbs!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
It's when the bulb happens to be positioned so that the filament is vertical, or as near as. It sags with heat & age, and burns out at the bottom - the dangly bit is then free to make or break as the mood takes it.

Tags: