Author Topic: Rear tail light unit smashed...help!  (Read 3343 times)

Bob3957

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz i-VTEC ES
Rear tail light unit smashed...help!
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:22:09 PM »
My hubby had a small bump when reversing out of the drive today. He clipped the side of the car which resulted in the rear tail light (drivers side) being smashed.
   From what I hear this will cost a few hundred pounds to have fixed at a garage, so he would rather try and fix this himself.  How easy/difficult is this?  Worth having a go? Any tips or input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

basquejazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2002 1.2 dsi manual
Re: Rear tail light unit smashed...help!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »
My hubby had a small bump when reversing out of the drive today. He clipped the side of the car which resulted in the rear tail light (drivers side) being smashed.
   From what I hear this will cost a few hundred pounds to have fixed at a garage, so he would rather try and fix this himself.  How easy/difficult is this?  Worth having a go? Any tips or input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I did a very similar thing ... I bought a new one off ebay for about 60€ and fitted it myself... Worked well!

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

Bob3957

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:54:59 PM »
Thanks for that. :)
I did see them on ebay, about £70, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Did you find it a reasonably easy job?

basquejazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2002 1.2 dsi manual
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »
Thanks for that. :)
I did see them on ebay, about £70, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Did you find it a reasonably easy job?
Yes. I am a clumsy mechanic but it just took me about 30 mins. You will have to take off the bumper but that is easy. Check out youtube. I am sure I found a video.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Search on google for a local vehicle dismantlers then pop down and ask them to remove the light - watch how if your allowed on the yard.
http://www.mvda.org.uk/
The detailed process on-manual can be found here - just check for your model along the top of the page
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »
Agree with olduser, nothing wrong with a good used part from a breaker.

You should be able to pick one up for around £15, or £20-£25 delivered - there's a few on ebay around £25. Another £10-£12 will buy you a copy of the Haynes workshop manual, a very handy book to have.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:26:26 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Breakers are a great option. Haynes manual not the greatest. I have bought Haynes manuals for every car I have ever owned (and a couple of guitars), but this one has been the least useful. It does tell you how to do your particular job though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:13:14 PM by Jocko »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
Breakers are a great option. Haynes manual not the greatest. I have bought Haynes manuals for every car I have ever owned (and a couple of guitars), but this one has been the least useful. It does tell you how to do your particular job though.

Whilst they don't go into the detail they once did, the beauty of the Haynes books is in the pictures, especially for the body & trim parts - they are great for the novice.

Bob3957

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for the very informative feedback. :)
Hubby has been to two breakers yards today but no success, 4 Jazz's, no tail lights left. I found brand new units on ebay but will see if there are any good second hand ones available.
  I will also look for a video on you tube. Thanks again guys. will keep you updated if we get sorted.  :)

Bob3957

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
Well, finally got the tail light fixed.  :) Bought a new one from Euro parts, £55.00p. with a discount. Local garage, fitted it for £10.!!  Very happy with it all. Thought we were going to have a big bill.
Thanks again everyone for your input.  :D

Tags:

anything