Author Topic: 08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?  (Read 9589 times)

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
Re: 08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »

Hit a road block when trying to cut a deal though. The salesman didn't want to know. He had the autotrader valuation all queued up and ready to "prove" that it was worth the full 4495. I had already seen that and noted that of all the free valuation tools I tried, autotraders came out the most expensive by a few hundred quid. The most I could get out of the guy was that he wouldn't let it go for anything that wasn't in the 4s. So I told him I was going to see another car (the 07 sport model ) and left for now.

Not very sure how good this guide is for valuation for some older versions, but atleast seems to be giving fairly realistic prices for some newer jazz's in my view. According to this the target price to buy for your car if I have got it right should only be £1.5k which seems a bit unrealistic..Maybe you should show the salesman this to get your view across for a significant discount and see what happens   ;)

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=used_cars&no=3&make=Honda&model=Jazz+%282002-09%29&vip=18683&yearplate=2008%2F08&mileage=30&x=35&y=4

I would think getting the car for about £3500-3700 would be a good price considering the low mileage, but may require some patience with a low offer put in and some wait and watch for a few days assuming no one picks it up with a higher offer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:18:23 PM by RScorpio »

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:32 PM »
Highest price on Parkers seems to be £3665 but you'd have to do a full search below to be sure.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/honda/jazz/hatchback-2002/used-prices/

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 12:40:39 AM »

Not very sure how good this guide is for valuation for some older versions, but atleast seems to be giving fairly realistic prices for some newer jazz's in my view. According to this the target price to buy for your car if I have got it right should only be £1.5k which seems a bit unrealistic..Maybe you should show the salesman this to get your view across for a significant discount and see what happens   ;)

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=used_cars&no=3&make=Honda&model=Jazz+%282002-09%29&vip=18683&yearplate=2008%2F08&mileage=30&x=35&y=4

Well, if it's anything to go on, I bought our 08 plate manual in June of last year and just punched in some details to see what happened... I selected a 6 month newer plate, and the exact mileage, and the trade valuation was about bang on what I paid. However, I thought it was a steal - the next cheapest 08 I could find at the time was over twice the price I paid.

That said, the valuation above does feel very low for a good condition, very low mileage CVT. Judging by the prices I've seen, if the car was as good as it looked, my initial gut feeling was around £3500 or so... so more or less the same as your thoughts.

To the OP, I think that RS's advice above is sound - bid the dealer what you think the car is worth and be prepared to walk away. Don't be afraid to insult the dealer with a cheeky offer, he will have heard it all before and will still want to sell you a car. The dealer will know his lowest price, he will know what the car owes him, and he will know how long it has sat there unsold. On the other hand, he will also want to push you for as much as he can get, even if it's only another £25 or £50 - it's all extra profit to him.

Bottom line is, if he wants more than you are prepared to pay, then you wont do a deal - it's as simple as that.

The best deals always come to those who are prepared to wait. If you must buy a car soon, that can affect your judgement somewhat, and for many people, haggling is an uncomfortable process they want done with.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
It drove smooth as well, gear changes took some attention to even detect, even when I purposely tried to confuse it which is a far cry from my golf even after the gearbox was replaced. I'm very impressed in that department too.
The CVT is a stepless 'continuously variable transmission'. There are no gears as such so the transmission would appear to be very smooth.

Vic.

pretty good explanation of CVT (which has been around for ever but recent electronics have made it behave better).

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/continuously-variable-transmission-explained/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:08 AM »
Highest price on Parkers seems to be £3665 but you'd have to do a full search below to be sure.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/honda/jazz/hatchback-2002/used-prices/

The truth is if someone has something people want and there aren't many of them around someone will pay asking price.  It is always a mistake to look too interested in something being sold and if a potential buyer keeps going back / contacting seller trying to knock price down it is definitely showing you are interested.   

More than once I have been on websites to buy stuff but only got as far as putting stuff in the basket, within a couple of days most of the sellers contacted me offering 10 or 15% discount on the stuff - always worth a try LOL
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »
More than once I have been on websites to buy stuff but only got as far as putting stuff in the basket, within a couple of days most of the sellers contacted me offering 10 or 15% discount on the stuff - always worth a try LOL
Years ago I sent off for a Linguaphone demo (it was a record, so that gives you an idea just how long ago it was). The course was about £300, to much for my pocket back then, but over the next two or thee years they kept offering me a reduced price until it got down to £50.
Not a lot of good when buying a car though!

What you can do is say, Too expensive, but I'll give you my phone number in case you decide to accept my offer. If he gets no takers, he may get back to you.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
You need to bid the dealer and find out where his absolute bottom price is. If it's too much, do what Jocko says and leave him some contact details

At the end of the day, only you know how far you want to go, there's no shame in overpaying a bit if it's exactly what you want, and you don't expect to see another one soon... although you invariably see one half the price once you commit, it's best to stop looking.  ;)

Personally, I'm a tight arse and want to pay as little as I can get away with.

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
I recently bought an old one 2004 to get the wife driving again after a work injury a few years ago and ongoing health problems stopped her driving,so wanted a small auto. Other than that i would have kept our old diesel pug with nearly
 200k on it which other than a battery had been 100% reliable for 6 years we had it.
Lot of money for an old car but if compared to an auto polo was saving about £100 a year on tax,and then saving on cambelt change.The autos seemed few and far between and seem to hold value pretty well?
I checked mot history and the only advise it ever had was for a SCRATCH! on windscreen,i could only get the dealer down £50(it was previously a few hundred more apparently) but i personally hated pretty much every minute of trawling car adds and whilst i would have liked it cheaper i couldn't be arsed to keep looking as i wanted a car asap and it seemed a good car with only 53k miles,honda service history, it was 10 times better than the other one i looked at day before from some dodgy Romanian dealer (serviced by quick fit and national tyres,jerky gear box, mirror fell off before end of rd,abs light on even though new mot 2 days before)  which was only a couple of hundred cheaper.
It has had a bit of a misfire and technically i have a 3 month warranty but i like the car and as he is 70 miles away and likely to tell me to bring it back i haven't even called him. The plug gaps were too big adjusting them put it right and i have new ones to go in.
Guess i am just the perfect mug punter for the average car dealer :'(
I am pretty impressed by it to be honest,feels real solidly built,no rattles or shaking over bumps.The scooter style auto seems weird to start with but soon get used to it.

Tags:

anything