Author Topic: 2016 brake pads wearing out quickly??  (Read 5797 times)

guest6742

2016 brake pads wearing out quickly??
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
I'm curious as to how long brake pads are lasting for others as mine seem to have worn very quickly.

The front pads needed replacing at around 16k miles, and I think the rears are close to being replaced at 20k.

Are yours lasting longer?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2016 brake pads wearing out quickly??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »
It all depends on how hard you are on the brakes. If you regularly brake hard they will wear out much quicker. A driver who accelerates and brakes continually, particularly in town traffic, will not see a lot of miles between changes.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
At a recent 10,000 mile service, the front pads were measured at 6mm and the rear at 5mm.  I don't know what they are when new, so I'm none the wiser!  I use the paddle down-shift quite extensively for engine braking.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
It depends on how you use the brakes, on most of my recent cars (assorted makes) I have replaced the front pads at about 30 to 40, 000 miles. I live in a low traffic area, urban driving can use the pads quicker.

guest6742

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »
It all depends on how hard you are on the brakes. If you regularly brake hard they will wear out much quicker. A driver who accelerates and brakes continually, particularly in town traffic, will not see a lot of miles between changes.

I'm a driving instructor and it's my tuition car so rarely braking hard really, a lot of town driving, though I obviously encourage good forward planning to reduce acceleration and braking as much as possible.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »
I would imagine that a car used for driving tuition would be much harder on the brakes as well as the clutch. Your pupils probably do twice as many stops in an hour as most drivers do. Even if the brakes are used gently, they will still see considerably more use than most experienced drivers, doing mixed driving.  Yesterday I drove 80 miles, and came to a stop 4 times!

guest6742

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »
I would imagine that a car used for driving tuition would be much harder on the brakes as well as the clutch. Your pupils probably do twice as many stops in an hour as most drivers do. Even if the brakes are used gently, they will still see considerably more use than most experienced drivers, doing mixed driving.  Yesterday I drove 80 miles, and came to a stop 4 times!

Yes that's true, though no clutch as it's CVT.

It seems odd though that a college who has been teaching in a 2012 Jazz says the brakes have done about 30k between changes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
You get different grades of brake pads (I don't mean Honda or third party). Soft pads give better feel, lower pedal pressures and less miles between changes. Hard pads resist fade better, need more pedal pressure, and subsequently last longer. Perhaps Honda specifies a softer pad for the Mk III than the Mk II. Or perhaps, whoever changes them for your colleague has used third party pads.
My son-in-law fitted a set of pads to my Volvo which were very soft. I was never away from washing dust off the wheels and, needless to say, they didn't last as long as usual.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »
At my first annual service a couple of months ago my pads were recorded as 10mm all round which sounds like zero wear to me. But then I hardly ever use my brakes. My old driving instructor told me they were for 'stopping and correcting your mistakes' and that's how I drive. I don't change down to decelerate (that would be a different kind of bad driving) but I do lift off in anticipation and find that I can usually control my speed just with the accelerator pedal. Despite driving the CVT with lower to no- engine braking.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:57:54 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
I drove various automatics for the 25 years prior to getting my Jazz and never really found the lower engine braking a disadvantage. Like you, I like to plan ahead and avoid using the brakes. When on a busy main road, I always pride myself in watching the cars ahead braking, and never needing to do so myself.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »
I drove various automatics for the 25 years prior to getting my Jazz and never really found the lower engine braking a disadvantage. Like you, I like to plan ahead and avoid using the brakes. When on a busy main road, I always pride myself in watching the cars ahead braking, and never needing to do so myself.

I coast down hills with my  CVT. The lower engine braking means fuel consumption improves markedly as a result...

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
I coast down hills with my  CVT. The lower engine braking means fuel consumption improves markedly as a result...
Aye, but I've noticed on really steep hills that it seems to 'release' periodically. It's as if it doesn't like too much 'backward' pressure on the gearbox. It is only on really steep hills though and in fact the only time encounter it on is the exit from one of the golf clubs I frequent - Rye Hill. There's a speed bump halfway up the final stretch and I have to ease down it in 1st to keep the speed down.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »
You get different grades of brake pads (I don't mean Honda or third party). Soft pads give better feel, lower pedal pressures and less miles between changes. Hard pads resist fade better, need more pedal pressure, and subsequently last longer. Perhaps Honda specifies a softer pad for the Mk III than the Mk II. Or perhaps, whoever changes them for your colleague has used third party pads.
My son-in-law fitted a set of pads to my Volvo which were very soft. I was never away from washing dust off the wheels and, needless to say, they didn't last as long as usual.

The down side of hard pads is they wear the discs faster than soft pads.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 09:38:26 AM »
Modern jazz with CVT and 70% town driving averaged 22k before front pads worn but not down to the min, I would take a look at your pads - both pads worn on both wheels or just one side and ask the dealer if they have had similar low mileage examples

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Aye, but I've noticed on really steep hills that it seems to 'release' periodically. It's as if it doesn't like too much 'backward' pressure on the gearbox. .

I assume it's changing to a higher gear....

Tags:

anything