Author Topic: Can you turn the touchscreen off ?  (Read 14144 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Can you turn the touchscreen off ?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »
In my experience, you can't display the analogue clock unless you first activate the alternative skin. This gives you an icon to select the clock, which'll then display according to whatever option you select using Sidot's instructions. Unless anyone knows how else to do it ?
I have long maintained that hardware manufacturers should not be allowed to develop software beyond basic drivers. So far my experience of the IT on the new Jazz confirms that. I'm a 50 year old computer programmer and I'm struggling to make the unit do what I want what chance do others stand?

To be honest the overall impression I get of this Jazz is that someone visited the parts store, grabbed a few toys off the shelf, got some intern to work out where to stick them then they shipped it. Overall poor design, questionable implementation. Mk1 and Mk2 fit me like a glove and I felt at home. The Mk3 not so much. I feel like Honda have been very slipshod and half-hearted this time around. Maybe it's because they aren't being built in Swindon any longer :(

JimDun

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but I found this while searching for a way to switch off the screen on my Mk3 Jazz SE. Hard to believe there isn't a straightforward way to blank the screen once you've pressed OK at startup! At least it wasn't just me being thick. :)

Something else I find really annoying is that if you neglect to click OK when you start up, it seems like you can't use the blue-tooth car phone either. Or is there some way round that?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
Maybe it's because they aren't being built in Swindon any longer :(

What difference does that make? The Jazz is a worldwide design with minor regional differences.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »

What difference does that make? The Jazz is a worldwide design with minor regional differences.

+1

Still too many people disrespecting cars built in UK, even now we have some of the best workers in the global industry.  Many car faults in the past were caused by bad management decisions  and some good design ideas too cheaply implemented.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
In my experience, you can't display the analogue clock unless you first activate the alternative skin. This gives you an icon to select the clock, which'll then display according to whatever option you select using Sidot's instructions. Unless anyone knows how else to do it ?
I have long maintained that hardware manufacturers should not be allowed to develop software beyond basic drivers. So far my experience of the IT on the new Jazz confirms that. I'm a 50 year old computer programmer and I'm struggling to make the unit do what I want what chance do others stand?

To be honest the overall impression I get of this Jazz is that someone visited the parts store, grabbed a few toys off the shelf, got some intern to work out where to stick them then they shipped it. Overall poor design, questionable implementation. Mk1 and Mk2 fit me like a glove and I felt at home. The Mk3 not so much. I feel like Honda have been very slipshod and half-hearted this time around. Maybe it's because they aren't being built in Swindon any longer :(

I agree with this. These screens offer very little in terms of functionality and I agree (as a non IT person) with the point about non IT people struggling with the screen. The worry is that they become a distraction and/or people try to fiddle with them whilst driving. I'm not sure how car manufacturers get away with this to be honest - sorry - I do know how they get away with it - the silly warning thing that comes on every time you start the car.

I can see they are neat and tidy for a sat nav but, beyond that, they are an unnecessary bauble.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »

+1

Still too many people disrespecting cars built in UK, even now we have some of the best workers in the global industry.  Many car faults in the past were caused by bad management decisions  and some good design ideas too cheaply implemented.
I think you have your wires crossed there. It's Skyrider who derides UK built cars and claims to never want to own one. I'm the one thinks the Jazz would be better if it was built in the UK.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »

+1

I think you have your wires crossed there. It's Skyrider who derides UK built cars and claims to never want to own one. I'm the one thinks the Jazz would be better if it was built in the UK.

I don't care where my cars are built as long as they are of reasonable quality. I am old enough to remember the horrific quality of some  British built cars. I lived in Australia when the Japanese decimated European car sales there. Toyota Land cruisers replaced Land Rovers as the outback car of choice if you wanted to guarantee getting back.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »
I see Toyota are having to recall 2.4 million hybrid cars, worldwide. Prius and Auris models. About 55 thousand are in the UK.
A fault in their systems that could cause them to lose power

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
I see Toyota are having to recall 2.4 million hybrid cars, worldwide. Prius and Auris models. About 55 thousand are in the UK.
A fault in their systems that could cause them to lose power

Funny that Toyota had problems with window switches just like Honda, Takarta airbags was to be expected.  Just shows that a lot of car makers get their parts from the same sources.  Toyota must use some Ford parts as they had a problem a few years ago with faulty ECU causing car to lose power.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:25:51 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
I don't care where my cars are built as long as they are of reasonable quality. I am old enough to remember the horrific quality of some  British built cars. I lived in Australia when the Japanese decimated European car sales there. Toyota Land cruisers replaced Land Rovers as the outback car of choice if you wanted to guarantee getting back.

Nissan Patrol and Toyota Hilux were also very popular in outback Oz.  Although it may have been the Pitt Street Farmers ( https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Pitt_Street_farmer )   buying the Land Cruisers ( see also Chelsea Tractors ) - the toughest vehicle on the planet is the Hilux, in a nuclear war the cockroaches who survived would be driving a Hilux.

Also popular was Nissan trooper ( rebadged Izuzu Trooper I believe)

Have we gone off topic again ?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:26:49 PM by culzean »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
You only have to look at a motor factors cross reference guides (probably online these days) to see how components are are used across makes and models. It is cheaper for the car manufacturers to buy components, assemblies, or systems off the shelf.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:15:56 PM by Skyrider »

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
Have we gone off topic again ?

Yes

Do the self elected topic police outrank the moderators?

JimDun

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »
Oh dear.....

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
Something else I find really annoying is that if you neglect to click OK when you start up, it seems like you can't use the blue-tooth car phone either. Or is there some way round that?
Interesting, I didn't know that as I generally always click OK.

Thread back on track ;)

Tags: