Author Topic: Main Beam Assist  (Read 10796 times)

Jackspratt

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid 2012
Main Beam Assist
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »
 Hi Everyone,
Well I've had my Jazz 1.5 sport CVT for just over 2 months now and apart from the awful infotainment system I'm very pleased with it.
For the first time yesterday I needed to go out in it very early in the morning so still dark. To my joy I discovered that it has Main Beam Assist. My last vehicle ( a VW Golf) had it and I thought I would miss it as I was unaware that the Jazz I have has that feature. It was a bonus to get LED headlights so the Main Beam Assist has put an even bigger smile on my face!  ; :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Main Beam Assist
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
Yes - I agree and, so far, I have found it works well.

Jackspratt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Yes - I agree and, so far, I have found it works well.

Yes Peteo, it's very accurate too, slightly more so than the VW  :D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
What does 'main beam assist' do for you?

Vic.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »

Vic.
It annoys you by turning on high beam when you don’t want it   >:(

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
Vic.
It saves a lot of endless clicking on the lighting stalk.  I've found it to be excellent, and quicker-acting than I would be.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
I agree, it works really well.  The only downside is that it is not possible for it to be pre-emptive like us humans by dipping the lights before an oncoming vehicle comes into view.  But it does dip pretty quickly once it sees the headlights.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »

Vic.
It annoys you by turning on high beam when you don’t want it   >:(

I really do think that the more 'automation' that is fitted to vehicles the less attention drivers pay to driving, it is human nature unfortunately.  If you don't know when to turn wipers and lights on and off, slow down and speed up in response to speed limit signs etc.  there is a question if you should really be driving. This is illustrated by some drivers thinking they can sit in the passenger seat and the car will automatically  somehow drive itself,  with tragic consequences. Some people don't seem to realise that auto braking only works below around 20mph - it instills false confidence that the car is going to sort out things if you mess up by not paying attention.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
I am contradicting myself here because although I think the Main Beam Assist system works very well, I think the point Culzean makes about getting lazy and inattentive is well made.

The automatic headlight thing is a classic case. They are unpredicatable so you do get people driving in poor light with no lights because the system isn't clever enough to turn them on - they are relying on the car to turn them on.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 05:43:15 PM »
I think the auto stuff works well, except in exceptional circumstances. Heaven forbid a driver might have to engage his brain occaisionally. One exceptional circumstance is fog, a bright ambient light level but poor visibility so no auto lights. You can't please all the people all of the time, as we have seen here many times with personal preferences being seen as poor design by Honda.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:52:06 PM by Skyrider »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
We were talking about "Main Beam Assist" or "High Beam Support System" as called in the handbook, but now we've drifted into Auto Headlights and I agree that this should not be relied on, specifically as mentioned, in fog.

If you do nothing then you have Daytime Running Lights at the front and nothing at the rear.  Pretty dangerous driving like that.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
I am contradicting myself here because although I think the Main Beam Assist system works very well, I think the point Culzean makes about getting lazy and inattentive is well made.

The automatic headlight thing is a classic case. They are unpredicatable so you do get people driving in poor light with no lights because the system isn't clever enough to turn them on - they are relying on the car to turn them on.

My experience seems to be opposite, where the lights turn on when not required, eg, when stopped at traffic lights, in bright sunshine, but under overhanging trees??
Like others have said, I would much prefer not to have an auto system at all, or least the ability to override it when necessary.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
It's not the cars fault if you stop under a bridge or overhanging trees and does it really matter, the lights go off when you move.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:22:51 PM by Skyrider »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »
It's not the cars fault if you stop under a bridge or overhanging trees and does it really matter, the lights go off when you move.
The vehicle's light sensor design could be much better. It seems to look upwards but also needs to look forwards and realise that there's bright sunshine all around. It should be possible to get a brightness input from the vehicle's camera and this method could also be better for identifying gloomy conditions.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »

In the scenario mentioned,  the driver in front of me wonders what the hell is going on, when my lights come!!

[comment removed by Admin]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:41:51 AM by RichardA »

Tags:

anything