Author Topic: 0 range but only 37.53 ltrs filled.... why?  (Read 5061 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: 0 range but only 37.53 ltrs filled.... why?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
It's not wise to let the tank get very low on fuel very often as there is a danger of dragging the crud in the tank into the filter.
Isn’t that a fallacy ? The fuel pump suction is always at the bottom of the tank, so if there’s any crud down there the fuel intake will always be in it. You’ll get a blocked filter irrespective of the fuel level. Unless of course you have crud floating on top of the fuel, in which case you’re right !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
I have to agree with you, Colin. Modern petrol is exceptionally clean. The only danger these days is water in the petrol. The fuel pick up tends to be slightly above the lowest point in the tank, just by the nature of its fitting. The slight surging you get with fuel (how often does the fuel warning light first come on when cornering) prevents anything settling in the bottom of the tank.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
The other guide is the digital fuel gauge. There are 20 segments so that means 2 litres (or roughly 20 to 25 miles) per segment. I twice ran my orange Jazz down to 1 bar on this gauge and each time managed to get just under 37 litres into the tank. There is, however, the uncertainty of not knowing (unless you have been watching the gauge) whereabouts in that 2 litre range the bar is representing. On one of those 1 bar remaining occasions I had driven 504 miles since the previous refill.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
About a year ago I put 39.0 litres in at a fill-up.  I had driven past the BP garage on the A14 at Newmarket for a further 15 miles in the interests of reaching my local ASDA and saving about 9p a litre.  I had certainly gone several miles past the "0" miles remaining indicator, and I think the last bar on the fuel gauge had also disappeared.  I was quite relieved to get to ASDA, but it has given me comfort for the future that there is a good margin spare.  Suffolk is pretty flat, which probably helped!

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
Read in manual p91 that fuel light comes on with approximately 5.3 litres left.

Tags: