Author Topic: Buy navigation later?  (Read 5942 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Buy navigation later?
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
I brought EX without the Navi - and I’m ok with that. But i forget to ask whether you can have it activated later if i changed my mind, anyone know? Wish it had apple CarPlay.

I figured i use my phone and its always going to be better than Garmin and its ‘free’. However, i did think of having navi but for 500 quid extra i decided against.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Buy navigation later?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
I would never buy sat nav from a car manufacturer. I wouldn't trust them to keep it updated. It's also horribly expensive compared to a dashboard unit and of course it's free on a decent smartphone (though I actually choose to pay for Tom Tom on my S7 Edge). Then there's the problem of how rubbish hardware manufacturers are at producing software and how technologically ignorant car manufacturers in particular are (like Honda releasing an infotainment unit based on a version of Android that was put out to pasture at least two years before the car was released).

So basically, for me, the answer is 'no way'. I'll source my own sat nav system.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
I would never buy sat nav from a car manufacturer. I wouldn't trust them to keep it updated. It's also horribly expensive compared to a dashboard unit and of course it's free on a decent smartphone (though I actually choose to pay for Tom Tom on my S7 Edge). Then there's the problem of how rubbish hardware manufacturers are at producing software and how technologically ignorant car manufacturers in particular are (like Honda releasing an infotainment unit based on a version of Android that was put out to pasture at least two years before the car was released).

So basically, for me, the answer is 'no way'. I'll source my own sat nav system.

+1 

If you really want satnav (one that is not reliant on phone signal) there are so many good offers around now for Garmin and TomTom with traffic and lifetime maps its a no-brainer really.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
I've never had a built in satnav and I do like the idea of being without loose cables but I have decided I would never pay extra to have it as standard for the following reasons:

1) The ruinously expensive - ie £150 ish - updates. Most stand alone satnavs will give you this for nothing. Google maps on your phone updates automatically as do other apps like Waze.

2) I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people, in real life and on youtube, using an App on their phone or a stand alone sat nav instead of the built in one. This is proof positive to me that the inbuilt ones are crap.

Having said all that, and contradicting myself, for my purposes, ie very very occasional use, a crap in built one would probably do and would save all that faffing about with sticking the thing on the window and having loose wires dangling about.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
I've never had a built in satnav and I do like the idea of being without loose cables but I have decided I would never pay extra to have it as standard for the following reasons:

1) The ruinously expensive - ie £150 ish - updates. Most stand alone satnavs will give you this for nothing. Google maps on your phone updates automatically as do other apps like Waze.

2) I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people, in real life and on youtube, using an App on their phone or a stand alone sat nav instead of the built in one. This is proof positive to me that the inbuilt ones are crap.

Having said all that, and contradicting myself, for my purposes, ie very very occasional use, a crap in built one would probably do and would save all that faffing about with sticking the thing on the window and having loose wires dangling about.

Beware that out of date maps can be problematic as new roads and islands appear all the time, speed limits change as do one way systems.  I update 2 or 3 times a year and sometimes still get caught out, once I was on a new road and satnav showed me driving across a field,  also road islands are being built all the time.   Halfords are doing Garmin Drive 50LM (5") unit for £79 (UK and Ireland lifetime maps) - bargain !!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »
Thanks, you all just confirmed my decision to stick to my iPhone for navigation. Would be nice to not have to setup a phone position but no problem.

The new jazz doesn’t make it easy to use an air vent phone holder. Maybe by the drinks holder to the right of the steering wheel but I haven’t had to a chance to check properly. Don’t like windscreen holder.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »

Beware that out of date maps can be problematic as new roads and islands appear all the time, speed limits change as do one way systems.  I update 2 or 3 times a year and sometimes still get caught out, once I was on a new road and satnav showed me driving across a field,  also road islands are being built all the time.   Halfords are doing Garmin Drive 50LM (5") unit for £79 (UK and Ireland lifetime maps) - bargain !!

That's a good point. I currently have a TomTom Via with lifetime updates but my old Navman (the model was obsolete with no updates available) once took me into a Tesco distribution centre in, if recall, somewhere in Dorset.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »
Thanks, you all just confirmed my decision to stick to my iPhone for navigation. Would be nice to not have to setup a phone position but no problem.

The new jazz doesn’t make it easy to use an air vent phone holder. Maybe by the drinks holder to the right of the steering wheel but I haven’t had to a chance to check properly. Don’t like windscreen holder.

I fit my satnav on side window just above side mirror using the supplied sucker, does not interfere with forward visibility,  easy to see and within reach - just remember it is there and better to disable 'auto down' on the window (not so good if you regularly use toll roads and need to roll window down en-route,  but I avoid them like the plague anyway).   By the time you need to roll window down to pay parking etc you are at your destination anyway,  it has worked for me for many years.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:47:49 PM »
I use a phone holder that fixes into the CD slot. As I have never used it for playing cd’s!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
My van had one of those. Very good and sturdy. Didn't know the 2018 models still had a CD player. My Mk 1 has a gramophone.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
I use a phone holder that fixes into the CD slot. As I have never used it for playing cd’s!

Got a link to one you use? I’ll scan ebay anyway.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »
This is the one I have it’s sturdy and doesn’t need my phone case removing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Adjustable-One-touch-Perfect-Samsung/dp/B074W7TLNZ

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »
Got a link to one you use?
Sorry. It was just in the van. Belonged to one of the other drivers.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
This is the one I have it’s sturdy and doesn’t need my phone case removing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Adjustable-One-touch-Perfect-Samsung/dp/B074W7TLNZ

Does it knock against the infotainment screen?

guest7494

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:57 PM »
I stick mine on the infotainment screen short cable straight down to power socket.
Job done
Makes info screen useful.

Tags:

anything