Author Topic: Water in car  (Read 6856 times)

guest7024

Water in car
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
Rear passenger foot well full water  you can see water laying in it  but where could it be from

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
Re: Water in car
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
Dear fellow Jazzer,
I was just about to post about the same problem.
It's been pretty damp down here in North-East Italy lately.
For weeks the car reeked like a wet dog.
Yesterday I decided I'd had enough, lifted the rear carpets (which were dripping at that point) and found the rear footwell had turned into a Florida swamp.
It took half an hour with Mr. Hoover to remove approximately four buckets of water from under the mat.
After another hour the swamp was back. So it just occurred to me: I opened the trunk, lifted the spare wheel lid, and lo and behold, the spare wheel compartment had turned into an Olympic swimming pool, and the water had eventually reached the top and leaked to the passenger compartment.
I removed the rear lights plastic covers and found that the INSIDE of the car was wet. Rain had been coming in down from above somewhere, then seeped through the bottom edge of the plastic cover inside the trunk into the spare wheel compartment, and then to the passenger foot well.
After researching the matter, the source of the leaking is probably somewhere under the two black rubber strips on the sides of the roof, next to the trunk. There is some factory-applied sealant there which has the habit of cracking over time, and when it happens, rain comes in and floods the trunk.
I will have the car inspected tomorrow, and I hope there's a way to fix this without disassembling the interiors (which would probably be the death toll for my old Jazz, it'd just be not worth it).
In other words, we may have the same problem as this gentleman: http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/jazz_leak.html
Anyone want to chime in?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:38:33 PM by MaxFrames »
At stake.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »
I was sure it had been covered on here before, so I had a quick search and found it in this old thread with an explanation of the remedy...

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=3271.0

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:45 AM »
I hope there's a way to fix this without disassembling the interiors (which would probably be the death toll for my old Jazz, it'd just be not worth it).
At least, in Italy, once it dries up you will get the heat to dry the car out. If you repair the leaking rails and get into the summer, the car will bake dry in no time. Not like here in Scotland!

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
I was sure it had been covered on here before, so I had a quick search and found it in this old thread with an explanation of the remedy...

Actually, if you read that thread up to the last post, the finale is alarming. This guy did exactly what I was planning to do (the "remedy") and it did not work  :o
At stake.

guest7024

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »
I checked seals rubbers all fine so will try back lights next

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »
Actually, if you read that thread up to the last post, the finale is alarming. This guy did exactly what I was planning to do (the "remedy") and it did not work
There are plenty others on here that have had success. It seems to depend on what you use as a sealer. Check out other threads.
What you can do is get in the car with the rear seats down and get someone to hose the outside of the car. That way you can look for the water coming in.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »

Actually, if you read that thread up to the last post, the finale is alarming. This guy did exactly what I was planning to do (the "remedy") and it did not work  :o

For water in the wheelwell the best remedy is an electric drill and a 6mm drill bit at the lowest point,  that will stop water building up in the boot and causing steamed up windows and rusty jack, if you manage to find the leak and successfully seal it later that is a bonus.  For water in the car itself you really have to seal the leak as there are carpets and other stuff involved.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
As a matter of interest does anyone know if Honda fixed the 'water in boot' problem on later models and if so what year?
i haven't had this problem on my 08 CVT and wonder if they had fixed it by then?
Thanks, Mike.

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
For water in the wheelwell the best remedy is an electric drill and a 6mm drill bit at the lowest point,  that will stop water building up in the boot and causing steamed up windows and rusty jack, if you manage to find the leak and successfully seal it later that is a bonus.  For water in the car itself you really have to seal the leak as there are carpets and other stuff involved.

I would call that a workaround (albeit a viable one) rather than a remedy: it wouldn't stop rust from building up (which is doing already). But you guys tell me one thing: is it true that Honda eventually made the issue into a service bulletin which they kept private in order to fix the problem on users' request provided the car was no older than 6 years? It wouldn't be the first of this kind, and though I am sure other brands do pretty much the same, I find this unacceptable. If the sealant was defective/subpar from the factory, that's a recall campaign to me.
At stake.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »

I would call that a workaround (albeit a viable one) rather than a remedy: it wouldn't stop rust from building up (which is doing already). But you guys tell me one thing: is it true that Honda eventually made the issue into a service bulletin which they kept private in order to fix the problem on users' request provided the car was no older than 6 years? It wouldn't be the first of this kind, and though I am sure other brands do pretty much the same, I find this unacceptable. If the sealant was defective/subpar from the factory, that's a recall campaign to me.

Recalls are normally done for safety problems,  not normally for a water leak that appears when a car is 8 years old, I can remember when cars never lasted 8 years without major structural rust problems.   I did the 6mm hole thing on my wifes former 53 plate and the problem went away,  no more steamed up rear windows after car left in sun etc.  and no more musty smell in car,  so for me it was a complete fix,  but as I said if water is getting into cabin its another ball game because of carpets etc. and sealer needs to be attended to.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »
Just came back from the coachbuilder's; the ballpark figure is 100 to 200 euros for a complete fix.
The affection for the little bugger is tempting me to accept the offer... it's either that or a Fiat Panda.
At stake.

owen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Blue 2002
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »
I had this problem too.  I followed the various guides by removing all the cracked putty / sealant from the roof cutter and followed the seam down into the boot area.  I used an old flat bladed screwdriver to do most of the work.

Once the failed sealant was removed it was replaced with the recommended Sikaflex 221 sealant.  This was approximately three, maybe four, years ago and it hasn't leaked since. If I remember correctly, it took a good part of the morning to do.  It wasn't hard but it was a little alarming removing all the cracked putty as there is quite a lot of it.

It's important to really remove all cracked / failed the sealant.  This is a job you need to do fully and not bail out too early.  I think if you do it properly it's not hard and will work.

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »
Car's back from the doctor and allegedly fixed, but the carpets are still damp and the smell feels like it's there to stay. Any idea to make it go away, besides a whole forest of Arbres Magiques?
At stake.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »
Car's back from the doctor and allegedly fixed, but the carpets are still damp and the smell feels like it's there to stay. Any idea to make it go away, besides a whole forest of Arbres Magiques?

Get some desiccant bags and put them in the car (Pound Shop, The Range , Home Bargains etc.),  when they get damp pop them in a warm oven to dry them out and re-use,  they will absorb moisture.  Also leaving windows open on a dry day can help,  but leave windows shut when using desiccant otherwise you are trying to dry the whole world out   :o

Silica gel cat litter works well and is a lot cheaper than proper sachets and tubs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:37:18 AM by culzean »

Tags:

anything