Author Topic: Steering not returning to centre  (Read 5893 times)

marymck

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1339 cc 2006
Steering not returning to centre
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
Hello

I'm new and this is my second post already!  I bought my Honda Jazz SE (2006 registration) in 2010.  I have read the FAQ thread about "notchy" steering, but I don't think that's the issue with mine.  Basically, the steering has never, in all the time I've had it, returned of its own accord to the centre position and sometimes, if I drive over a dip or bump, the steering feels a little swaying or drunk for a moment. 

I have had two Hondas in the past.  One was a Civic and one a Concerto.  I know this sounds silly, but I'm pretty sure the steering automatically returned to the centre in those two cars.  The car I had previous to the Jazz was a big old Mercedes - lovely car and got me a lot of attention on the road!  The fact that I can't remember whether my previous cars' steering wheels automatically returned to the centre suggests to me that they did.  I think the Jazz is the first car I've ever had this issue with. 

The Jazz has passed all its MOTs since I had it and, until recently, was regularly serviced.  (I say "until recently" because the gentleman who looks after my car has been poorly and off work since Christmas.)

Is this steering behaviour normal for a Jazz?  Is it something I should worry about?  & if so, what do I need to have done?

Any advice very gratefully received.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:07:29 PM by marymck »
marymck

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Steering not returning to centre
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
Don't worry it doesn't. Or not easily, it's all electronic power steering theese days.  So it tends to stay where it's told basically. You get used to it, I quite like it as it makes the steering feel heavier, I hate cars with light steering thats my personal bugbear with the mk2 jazz.
I yearn for cars with absolutely no power steering again,  you could feel so much back from the car. Oh well it ain't gonna happen  :(

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
Don't worry about it. Mine doesn't either. It's more to do with the design than a problem.

marymck

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1339 cc 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »
Thanks Degzi & Eddie for your reassurance.  Phew ... one less thing to fret over!   :)
marymck

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
Yes, it's because back in 2002-3 when the first Jazz (GD) and first Civic (EP) with the shortened engine bay were introduced they couldn't accommodate enough castor angle in the hub due to the lack of space which mean that the steering doesn't return fully to the centre. It's just a design fault that they have tried to resolve with the subsequent models.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
*BUMP*

I'm still struggling with the weak self-centering on my Jazz. It does Self-Center partially, but only to about the 45deg point and then needs to be turned back to 12 O'Clock.

This thread I found says it's normal, but other threads say it's not normal. Still unsure if I have a fault or not.

Does anyone know how to increase the self-centering effect? Is there maybe a wheel alignment adjustment that will help? It just really bugs me and is spoiling the drive. I hate going around a corner and having to straighten up the steering wheel rather than just loosening my grip and having it spin back.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »
My 2006 Jazz just had the alignment adjusted, last week. Made no difference to the self centring. Personally I don't find it a problem. Just something I got used to.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 10:49:18 PM »
For what it's worth, at a reasonable speed on the crown of the road, or a camber-less road, ours will centre when you let the wheel go. That said, the centreing is generally weak, and ours was very poor indeed when the front steering was set with excessive toe-out.

The centreing is so feeble, I could imagine things like a dry or stiff top strut bearing, a stiff track rod end or bottom balljoint having a negative effect. Even certain tyre tread patterns or tyre wear may make it worse.

Tags: