Author Topic: advice on buying a mk2 jazz  (Read 1505 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
advice on buying a mk2 jazz
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
hi members i was wondering to buy a mk2 jazz  10reg done 99k full service history  is there more room in the mk2 than the mk1 in the drivers area and is the vtec engine better than the  mk1 engine advice would be appreciated thanks dave.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: advice on buying a mk2 jazz
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
hi members i was wondering to buy a mk2 jazz  10reg done 99k full service history  is there more room in the mk2 than the mk1 in the drivers area and is the vtec engine better than the  mk1 engine advice would be appreciated thanks dave.

Personally I think the iDSi engine in the GD (MK1) Jazz is better suited to Jazz than the revvy VTEC lump,  although the VTEC has more power it has to be revved to access it and the iDSi is more tractable and useable lower down rev range ( I never stalled a GD but has happened on wifes GE a few times).   The VTEC really needed 6 speed box with lower first and second gear,  but they stuck with same 5 speed box that does not suit engine IMHO.  If you do a lot of motorway work VTEC is better but for 95% of most peoples driving in town and on local roads IDSi is better.  Just where IDSi starts to run out of breath about 4500 rpm the VTEC comes to life,  but below about 3000rpm I prefer the iDSi.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
i agree with culzean. the idsi engine was brilliant with its 8 spark plugs making it produce maximum torque at only 2800rpm, it seemed to pull better. the ivtec has 18bhp more and a little more torque, but max torque is at 4800rpm, coupled with taller gear ratios, make it seem more sluggish, unless revved. but its still a great engine that wont break, just needs different driving habits to make it go,lol..  (2nd gear is that tall, that it'll do 65mph in it!!) and the mk 2 jazz is roomier.....

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
I have not driven a MK1 but only yesterday on the A30, I remarked to my Wife about the many comments about the I vtec engine and it's lack of power under high revs. I was in 4th going uphill and at 3000 revs it pulled very well changing into 6th and continued to accelerate. My only complaint is the vicious difference between 1st and 2nd and it is a curse with an Ishift box especially in hilly narrow lanes. Of course I can hang onto 2nd by putting it into manual.  I expect those with a manual box have the same problem as they I believe are virtually identical except the Ishift equipment.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
My have the Mk 1 and 1st gear just seems too low for comfortable use on the flat. I suppose that with a small engine you need a low gear for starting on steep hills but there feels like a huge difference between the ratios for 1st and 2nd.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
I have developed a heavy right foot to keep the revs up when starting from fully stationary on steep hills.

It’s irritating if following traffic going too slowly up hill. That’s when the flappy paddle comes in to play.

Tags: