Author Topic: The Black Pearl - Build Thread (Pic heavy)  (Read 10542 times)

Rhysfjf

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 2013
The Black Pearl - Build Thread (Pic heavy)
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
Hiya guys, my name is Rhys and I'm from Chelmsford in Essex.

My partner and I recently bought a 2013 Jazz Si, we came from a Honda CR-Z which we loved but unfortunately it wasn't very practical so I managed to convince my other half to sell the CR-Z, buy an S2000 as a weekend toy/project and buy a Jazz as a daily driver. My partner uses the Jazz to commute to work and fortunately for me I can cycle in.

The idea was to keep the Jazz standard and really concentrate on 'restoring' the S2000, nothing major, just keep her healthy and prolong her life as I aim to keep her for a very long time.

I've used forums in the past and quite often actually for inspiration and to find out useful information, but would really like to document my progress on the new projects.

Hopefully I can get these images to work - it's been a while!

Our CR-Z

This was my inspiration...

Here's my S2k  :P

Some boxes of the best type of deliveries

First thing was some wind deflectors and I really liked the OEM ones so...

Then the head unit I had in my CR-Z went in...

I had a GE8 Manifold on the CR-Z which fits the Jazz, it has slightly bigger internals and should make the car breathe a bit better, so here's the joys of adding this - god the engine bay has no space to work!

Air box and battery all had to come out just to get easier access...

The two side by side...

Finishes project...

Then I got a reverse camera which fits in place of the number plate light unit and began trying to run the wiring to the rear light - what a ball ache! Because number plate is on the tailgate running the wires was super tricky, in the past all my cars had the number plate located on the bumpers making life a bit easier...

I've yet to finish the reverse camera install, I just need to tap into the reverse light wire (if anyone knows which one it is that would be helpful!) and then run the video camera wire to the unit and hopefully it should work - a job for the weekend.

Other mods so far:

• Armster armrest
  • Lowered by 35mm on springs from demontweaks - some German brand.
  • K&N drop in panel filter - already on the car
  • Day light running lights on the front bumper - already on the car
  • Philips LED side lights and Osram Nightbreakers dipped beam

I will update as I go! but not planning on too much more (he says..)

I still have some stuff to go on, front lip, rear spoiler and hopefully some new wheels! (Si wheels will go up for sale if anyone is interested).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:24:28 PM by Rhysfjf »

Pumpkin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None yet
Re: The Black Pearl - Build Thread (Pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »
The head unit makes the interior look much more modern  :)

Rhysfjf

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
The head unit makes the interior look much more modern  :)

Thank you! I completely agree, I've had a reverse camera and sat nav unit on the last two cars I've owned and wouldn't be without one now.

I've managed to connect the reverse camera up which is awesome - turns out the reverse light is on a separate plug by itself, one black wire (ground) and one green wire (positive) so I only had to tap into the green wire and away it went  8)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 02:44:24 PM »
Looks great so far  8)

Rhysfjf

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback, means a lot.

I've since made some progress - my reverse camera is fully functional which is ace.

I've lowered it by 35mm on Vogtland lowering springs, but I've got a bit of knocking on the drivers side when going over bumps, so I'm going to need to revisit that soon. Passenger side is spot on which is odd, the top mounts are nice and tight so I'll have to take the whole spring and shock out again and make sure everything is done up tight.

Here's how it sits on the stock wheels:

And here's how it sits on my new wheels, which are Rota Slipstreams 16x7 et40 - I was concerned that they were a little wide on the front when I initially fitted them, but I think they're pretty spot on. The tyres are obviously wider than stock which were 185/55/16 compared to 205/50/16, but all seems well.

Note - I ordered spigot rings which were black in the pictures, pink when they turned up! Luckily I've got some centre caps so they're no longer visible.

I also fitted a Rhino lip to the front bumper and couldn't believe how much of a difference this makes. It made the car look so much more aggressive with the black wheels. There are cheap alternatives on eBay but this lip is super tough, I'm very impressed with it.

Coming soon... a tailgate spoiler, auto-fold wing mirrors, a full detail and more pictures  :D

Happy new year all.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
Has the engine mods given it more power and torque ? Is it a manuel.

Rhysfjf

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
Has the engine mods given it more power and torque ? Is it a manuel.

I wouldn't say there's a massive difference, according to Spoon it should give a gain of around 6 bhp

https://www.uk.spoonsports.eu/17110-ge8-r00.html

I'm pretty sure it helps the car breathe a little better and acceleration is a bit more smooth/responsive. Ideally I would need to increase the airflow throughout the rest of the car, i.e intake and exhaust, but I'm not really interested in trying to make power gains from a 100bhp car, the only reason I put this on the Jazz was because I had it on my CR-Z and it fit the Jazz.

And yes it's a manual  :)

guest5715

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
I like the stepped lip on the wheels, look great in black with a black jazz. What tyre size?

guest7078

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »
Rota Slipstream ET40? Does the wheels stick out of the arches at all? I looked at other forums and they all say ET45 is the lowest you should go on these.  :o
Just curious is all, the car looks great by the way.  :)

Rhysfjf

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
I like the stepped lip on the wheels, look great in black with a black jazz. What tyre size?

Thanks very much, they're 205/50/16

Rota Slipstream ET40? Does the wheels stick out of the arches at all? I looked at other forums and they all say ET45 is the lowest you should go on these.  :o
Just curious is all, the car looks great by the way.  :)

I worried about this too, did a bit of research and also spoke with another owner and got the thumbs up. They do poke ever so slightly on the front, backs are perfect - at first I thought I'd made a huge mistake but once the car was off the jack and both wheels were on they look pretty good, they don't rub on full lock what so ever, but they do rub the inner arches when I hit a big dip in the road or go over a speed bump too fast - I think a slightly narrower tyre will cure this though! As I mentioned they currently have 205/50/16 but when I need to replace them I think I'll go for a 195/50/16, maybe even 195/45/16.

Jazz hybrid

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz hybrid
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
HI mate , car looks grrat , loving the rhino lip . If you don’t mind could you please forward me the link so I can get one for my mk2 . Cheers

Rhysfjf

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
HI mate , car looks grrat , loving the rhino lip . If you don’t mind could you please forward me the link so I can get one for my mk2 . Cheers

Hey, thanks for the comment - I ordered my Rhino lip through their Facebook page, I sent them a message and they sent me their PayPal details - https://www.facebook.com/TheRhinoLip/

Rhys

Jazz hybrid

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz hybrid
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 01:34:44 AM »
Thank you.  :D

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:02 PM »
posting so I can have a read in work!

that Jazz is gorgeous! love it!

MAZI

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
Nice to see a hardcore petrol head,
I have just bought a 2012 SI myself for the mrs to replace her 2015 Yaris D4D.

Any idea what the difference is between an SI and SI-T?
Hate the 2 tone wheel and offset does the car no favours especially given the aggresive looking bodykit on this model,
Any OE wheels from another model which might improve the look?

Tags:

anything