Author Topic: Air Cleaner Element / Air Filter  (Read 6958 times)

babyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.2 Mk2
Re: Air Cleaner Element / Air Filter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
As I said earlier, it looks like the air cleaner (complete) has been swapped with one from a Civic. If that is the case you will have to buy the Civic filter element.
Hi Jocko, checked with Cox Motor & they confirmed it’s not for Civic but for Jazz. They were adamant a specific number of Mk2 Jazzes have this unique type.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:42 AM »
I guess with only a particular number of cars with this specific filter it is not cost-effective for companies to make an aftermarket product.

With no aftermarket alternative you have to go for the Honda brand. Cox motor parts have reasonable prices for Honda parts. And luckily you don't have to change the air filter each year. ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
checked with Cox Motor & they confirmed it’s not for Civic but for Jazz. They were adamant a specific number of Mk2 Jazzes have this unique type.
Chances are the two elements are the same, as the part number you quoted comes up as "Honda Civic" on Google. Take the element into Europarts or the like (I worked for TMS here in Scotland), and they will get a filter of the shelves and check the dimensions for you. We regularly did that for customers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »
As I said earlier, it looks like the air cleaner (complete) has been swapped with one from a Civic. If that is the case you will have to buy the Civic filter element.
Hi Jocko, checked with Cox Motor & they confirmed it’s not for Civic but for Jazz. They were adamant a specific number of Mk2 Jazzes have this unique type.

Maybe Honda had a 'glitch' in their supply chain and their main supplier of airbox mouldings was having production problems,  or they decided to change suppliers to save a few pence and it didn't work out,  or had to import airboxes from another country for a while,  can't think of another reason that they would change design for a few models and then return to original filter shape.

As Jazzway says - you don't have to change filter every year,  and if you have access to a compressed air supply (you said filter in your photo is so clean because you used compressed air to blow it through) I would just blow it through from the side that normally faces down in the car (blow the crud back out the way it came in) and use it again,  most decent filters have a graded mesh which is coarser weave on the side that air gets sucked through first to take out larger lumps and then gets finer on the 'downstream' side - that is why they put angles on the filters so that you can't fit them upside down.

The attached PDF taken from a far eastern company suggests that this is a Jazz only part, I also get this impression from other websites.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:05:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

babyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
As Jazzway says - you don't have to change filter every year,  and if you have access to a compressed air supply (you said filter in your photo is so clean because you used compressed air to blow it through) I would just blow it through from the side that normally faces down in the car (blow the crud back out the way it came in) and use it again,  most decent filters have a graded mesh which is coarser weave on the side that air gets sucked through first to take out larger lumps and then gets finer on the 'downstream' side - that is why they put angles on the filters so that you can't fit them upside down.
Culzeean, thanks for the tip! I used an electric air duster to do that, you know the ones used for computers? Works a treat ;D

babyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
I would also take alook at Redex treatment if you Jazz has been running on unleaded try a plastic bottle of Redex in your tank, I buy from either Wilko's or Halfords they often have offers. I use Redex in customers petrol cars & Millers deisel additive in old & new deisel vehicles. One treatment every couple of years even better just before the  MOT.

Thanks for your invaluable advice, olduser1! I found an unused STP Fuel Injector cleaner (black plastic bottle) lying around in the garage (must've been Dad's) & added in my tank. Would that do the trick?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:41:49 PM by babyjazz »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »
That should be Ok its a similar product, I prefer Redex but STP is still a popular product range - see how the engine runs.
Just for info whats the mileage on the Jazz?

babyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
Hi olduser1, it's just over 27k  ;)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »
Rather than use snakeoil products , an Italian tune up is free and works wonders. 6,000 rpm with a hot engine  will clear your valves and EGR valve far better..over 20 miles or so..Great for emissions as well (especially for eevel deesels..:-)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
Rather than use snakeoil products , an Italian tune up is free and works wonders. 6,000 rpm with a hot engine  will clear your valves and EGR valve far better..over 20 miles or so..Great for emissions as well (especially for eevel deesels..:-)

Italian tuneup will undoubtedly help EGR but won't get dinosaur juice lacquer out of fuel system or injectors. I use Redex in motorbikes, mower and car and especially in mower and bikes and since using it they start easily after winter layup and tick-over properly straight away rather than cutting out and spluttering into life.   An Italian tune-up is good for CAT, EGR and will clear condensation out of exhaust and oil,  also good for dirty diesel DPF,  just blows all the crap filter has collected out of the exhaust anyway after carefully storing it for miles.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

babyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
Rather than use snakeoil products , an Italian tune up is free and works wonders. 6,000 rpm with a hot engine  will clear your valves and EGR valve far better..over 20 miles or so.

Is this how I do it - put car in neutral and rev to 6000 rpm? For how long should I be revving?  :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
Rather than use snakeoil products , an Italian tune up is free and works wonders. 6,000 rpm with a hot engine  will clear your valves and EGR valve far better..over 20 miles or so.

Is this how I do it - put car in neutral and rev to 6000 rpm? For how long should I be revving?  :o

Don't rev car so high as 6000 when stationary, or for more time than you would need to overtake another vehicle, (and NEVER with a cold engine),  take if for a motorway run and stay at 70 for 20/30 miles (about 3300rpm) is all you need,  if you want to rev it a bit more try 70 in 4th for a bit.

Most cars that do local / low mileage never get north of 2,500 rpm and they suffer for it - you won't wear a Honda out by revving it - in fact it should be compulsory.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:50:04 PM by culzean »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
For MOTs I take our 2003 Yaris D4D - which does an average journey length of 1.1 miles for a year!! - for a 25 mile drive and keep it in whichever gear enables it to stay above 3,000rpm. It not only clears the engine but heats up teh catalytic convertor and gets rid of all the rubbish..

It not, it fails the MOT on emissions.

With the Jazz I use S on the CVT once a week on dual carriageways and try to drive at least 5 miles at over 4,000 rpm..  Engine always runs better afterwards..

Tags:

anything