Author Topic: Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?  (Read 25894 times)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
I can't see Honda putting an unrestricted 1.5 litre engine in the jazz. Their thinking is for economy hence the Atkinson cycle and I think they will do the same with the 1.5.
I hope not it could be fun having a sporty Jazz.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
It will most likely be whatever 1.5 engine they use in other parts of the world. The UK market is too small to make a specific version of an engine for. The Honda website says a 130 bhp 1.5.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:07:55 PM by Deeps »

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Well I now have a Mk3 - 10 months old, SE spec with a CVT gearbox. 26 miles back from the dealers so able to do a very quick comparison with my Mk2 which I drove to be part exchanged.

These things are always subjective but I think the Mk3 feels just that bit more refined. One thing I did enjoy was the fact that, at 70, whereas my Mk2 Manual would be doing 3,500 rpm (give or take), the new car was doing just over 2,000. I guess, in a manual, the 6th gear on the Mk3 will also result in a more relaxed cruise.

Once I've cut my left leg off and stopped groping for a gear stick I'll be fine!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »
Once I've cut my left leg off and stopped groping for a gear stick I'll be fine!
LOL
I have done that and can honestly say after more than 2 years...: i haven’t miss my left leg for a second. ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:37:27 PM by jazzway »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
LOL
I have done that and can honestly say after more than 2 years...: i haven’t miss my left leg for a second. ;)
I never had that problem surprisingly. Never felt the urge to reach for the gear lever and my left foot was happy to just sit on the floor. But I do have issues the other way round (and indeed when I got back to my car the first time after driving an auto). Hence why I changed. Clearly my brain/body has just never liked the manual approach and were more than happy to give it up :)

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
Having worked for several years for a car main dealer (Ford, Nissan, Land Rover and Subaru) I got used to jumping from a manual to an auto without even thinking about it, also having driven many miles on the continent changing sides became automatic and never bothered me.

CATech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 67 plate EX CVT
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
Had a 14 plate Mk2 S, a 16 plate Mk3 SE and a 67 plate Mk3 EX

Mk3 every time for me....just wish the infotainment system displayed my phone text messages, like my missus's Peugeot 108.

Dear Mr. Honda. I promise NOT to read them off screen whilst doing 150mph down the motorway.....honest.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
Had a 14 plate Mk2 S, a 16 plate Mk3 SE and a 67 plate Mk3 EX

Mk3 every time for me....just wish the infotainment system displayed my phone text messages, like my missus's Peugeot 108.

Dear Mr. Honda. I promise NOT to read them off screen whilst doing 150mph down the motorway.....honest.
Would also be nice if it responded to voice commands like the Mk2. I mean I don't often use my phone when driving (almost never in fact) but I've occasionally wanted to warn someone if I'm going to be late. Mind you the voice control in the Mk2 was pretty crap. By the time you've finally got it to do what you wanted you were so hoarse from shouting that the person you were calling could barely understand you  ;D

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
Well I now have a Mk3 - 10 months old, SE spec with a CVT gearbox. 26 miles back from the dealers so able to do a very quick comparison with my Mk2 which I drove to be part exchanged.

Good choice of model & spec - you'll be driving in auto mode soon enough.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
I've done 100 miles in my Mk3 now so I am in a position to answer my own question! The issue has been complicated by changing from a manual to an automatic so I'll try to confine myself to non gearbox issues.

GOOD

1)The Mk3 seems more composed on the road somehow and the ride is definitely better.
2)It is noticeably roomier in the back although the Mk2 was class leading anyway.
3)It feels quieter.
4)It feels a more substantial car in some ways, hard to pin this down but it definitely does.

BAD

1)The MK2 dash was a model of ergonomic excellence. The MK3 is OK but you get the feeling that the approach, not just by Honda, is to bang in a cheap screen and leave it at that. I am not a fan of these screens although I haven't had the problems others have reported. Maybe these have been ironed out.
2) Removal of passenger cupholder - Why???
3) Removal of one of the glove boxes - Why???
4) The seats are not quite as well shaped.

I suspect there has been a degree of cost cutting in the MK3 and that's a disappointment.

On balance, I would take the MK3 over the MK2 but only just and it certainly isn't a step change.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
Removal of passenger cupholder - Why???
I have never used a cupholder in a car, ever. Passenger or otherwise!

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
Removal of passenger cupholder - Why???
I have never used a cupholder in a car, ever. Passenger or otherwise!

LOL

Neither do we but they are a great place to put your sunglasses! My wife is distraught.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
the term overdrive is pretty archaic as it used to apply to Rear wheel drive trains where the differential was separated from the rear axle and the ‘overdrive’ bit  only referred to propeller shaft speed into rear axle compared engine revs (and a separate 'overdrive' gear unit to change ratio of propshaft revs to rear axle was fitted) .  With front wheel engines the differential is an integral part of the gearbox and the only output shaft is to the road wheels
I think you will find that that was purely a British term, coined by Laycock de Normanville, for what was an auxiliary electrically or hydraulically operated epicyclic gear train bolted behind the transmission unit. In engineering terms overdrive is as stated by Deeps.
I had a Triumph 2.5 PI with the electrical overdrive and it was a wonderful piece of kit, working on 3rd and 4th gear at the flick of a switch on the gear knob (car only had a 4 speed box as was the norm back then). I could sit in slow moving traffic, in 3rd, and flick between 3rd and 4th as traffic changed, avoiding the need to change grear.

I also had a Triumph 2.5PI - in its day the fastest of the "executive" cars  - before the Rover 3500S- and overdrive operated on 2nd, 3rd and fourth. It made driving in traffic very easy and relaxed just playing with the OD switch..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »
It may well have worked on 2nd as well. Time has softened the edges of my Triumph experiences. Just like women forget the pains of childbirth!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2018, 04:58:44 PM »
I'm indifferent about the cupholders but I absolutely agree about the ergonomics. I've posted before that it's as if they were desperate to improve the model and just trawled round the shelves of 'cool techie stuff' grabbing various bits before hurrying back to the car and just dropping them where there was space.

I felt at home in the Mk1 and Mk2. It all made sense. The Mk3..not so much.

Tags:

anything