Author Topic: Jerk on takeoff  (Read 1320 times)

guest7366

Jerk on takeoff
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
Having waited at a red traffic light with the gear selector in 'D' - our Jazz is automatic - when starting to move forward the car jerks. This doesn't happen if I select 'S' before moving off. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: Jerk on takeoff
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
This is my understanding of how the CVT operates in the situation you mentioned:
If you are stationary in 'D' with your foot on the brake the gearbox puts itself into neutral (even though the lever is in 'D').   When you take your foot off the brake it engages Drive, and then you can pull away.  On my CVT I could just about detect the engagement.  Perhaps you are getting onto the throttle very quickly before drive is fully engaged, try taking your foot off the brake without applying any throttle and see what happens.  In the 'S' position it doesn't go into neutral, drive is continuously engaged ready for a quick getaway.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:12:36 PM by Pine »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Mk 2 Jazz has an automatic clutch, rather than torque converter and it is the sudden engagement of the clutch that you are experiencing. I'm not sure what adjustment is available to correct this.
The Mk 3 has a torque converter or fluid flywheel, similar to most conventional auto cars.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
The CVT gearbox was reintroduced in the early 2011 facelift replacing the i-shift and at the same time the torque converter clutch was introduced.

Vic.

Tags:

anything