Author Topic: Fuel filter  (Read 3910 times)

guest5505

Fuel filter
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:11 PM »
Can anyone give any clear guidance on changing the fuel filter.

Ive done a search on here and seen some posts about changing it but I'm still not entirely clear on what to do. I'm not even sure where it is under the bonnet! The handbook says to change it every 2 years and I suspect mine has never been changed as the previous owner only did the vary minimum on a service. Should I change it or leave alone?

Any guidance appreciated.

guest4283

• Topic Starter
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »
Air filter is every 24k miles or two years. Fuel filter is every 72k miles or 6 years, but Honda state that provided fuel pressure is 47 to 54 psi, it's ok to leave it alone. Fuel filter is within the fuel tank and has to be disassemble from the fuel pump. Haynes manual rate this as a 4 on a five point scale of difficulty.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:24:50 PM »
Done by removing the centre console to get to the canister that contains the fuel pump & filter from within the cabin. Quite an involved process and there is a custom Honda tool.

Relieve fuel pressure
Remove centre console & handbrake lever
Remove access panel
Disconnect wiring and fuel lines
Undo locking cap (with custom tool)
Lift canister from tank, disassemble pump unit and replace filter.

Although on service schedule, my guess is most are never replaced, but a note is made that fuel pressure was checked to ensure it was above the minimum limit.

If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.
--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:27:15 PM »
Oh yeah, and special precautions to be taken while working with exposed fuel and an open tank.
--
TG

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
Many thanks for that, sounds beyond my skills, I will leave it alone.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »
should last the life of the car especially if you keep the tank topped up and you dont drive down to the crap at the bottom of the tank all the time

alfy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 sport cvt
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »
I fitted one in my Jazz 1.4 2007. As stated previous, it is sited between the front seats, and when fuel filter  is removed from the tank it has to be dismantled to remove fuel pump from it.

Tags:

anything