Author Topic: What part is this On my Jazz? (changing alternator/drive belt)  (Read 5952 times)

guest5168

Seems like my trusty old jazz has got its first real problem  :'(
It has got the regular squeeky drive belt sound  along with some other sound which goes away after some time when car becomes warmer,however its not really the belt but probably one of the pullys where the belt travels, Its probably not the guide pulley since it looks solid and doesnt vibrates at all when running and its probably not the tensioner pulley since the tension seems to be pretty much spot on...
Anyone has got any idea what is this thing called in this picture? ( it has very very slight voble in it when running when other pulleys dont have it)

It has been squeeking a bit for past few years even when I changed the drive belt but now it has got worse, and also seems like my AC stopped working properly yesterday when the sound became worse... Could it be AC pulley?
Anyone has got any idea which part is that in that diagram?

guest4283

• Topic Starter
Re: What part is this On my Jazz? (changing alternator/drive belt)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
I believe that would be your crank shaft pulley.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
It,literally, sounds like the ancillary drive belt is loose. I believe it is tensioned by adjustment at the alternator mounting.
If the belt is slipping the AC compressor is likely to be the first thing to suffer as it puts quite a load on the pulley as the clutch engages.
The alternator is at the top of your sketch with the adjuster clearly shown.

Vic.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
It,literally, sounds like the ancillary drive belt is loose. I believe it is tensioned by adjustment at the alternator mounting.
If the belt is slipping the AC compressor is likely to be the first thing to suffer as it puts quite a load on the pulley as the clutch engages.
The alternator is at the top of your sketch with the adjuster clearly shown.

Vic.

think its time just for a new belt? Think I changed it like ~40k km ago,
or the tensioner pully is bad?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »
The kevlar / polyurethane belts will easily run for well over 100K if properly tensioned (Honda say there is actually no fixed mileage for replacement - they only inspect them to see if they are frayed or show signs of cracking),  they run pretty tight but don't stretch. 

One of the noises you are hearing could be A/C clutch slipping (especially as you say A/C not working), the other may be idler pulley bearing (top centre of your diagram) getting a bit dry, the idler pulley is just to press down belt and increase contact area between belt and alternator pulley.  Belt tension is adjusted by pivoting the alternator and tension checked in lower run of belt.

there are belt sprays on the market, details posted on this forum which are said to improve grip and stop squeaks due to belt, but never used one.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: