Author Topic: The infamous EGR valve problem (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)  (Read 202988 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: The infamous EGR valve problem
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
WD-40 is marketed as a de-grease, Water Dispersant and anti-rust coating and makes a good general cleaner, but never use WD-40 to lubricate anything mechanical as (from bad experience) it tends to set like soft varnish after a while and actually attracts lots of dirt - a good silicone spray (WD-40 people make one) is a much better lubricant.   Do not use silicon on your EGR valve however because it will damage the oxygen sensors (remember the dodgy supermarket fuel episode about 5 years ago where silicone in the fuel wrecked the oxygen sensor on users cars).

I certainly wouldn't use WD-40 where high temperature is involved (eg, on an EGR valve) because it will do a lot more harm than good.  While white spirit may remover fuel laquer build up, kerosene or paraffin will do it a lot better and non of them to my knowledge remove carbon deposits - which is exactly what causes the EGR to stick. 

I would buy a proprietry carburettor cleaner and a little wire brush from halfords etc. -turn valve upside down and soak the mechanism in carb cleaner for a while to loosen the deposits and be prepared to do a bit of mechanical cleaning and thumping as well.

An EGR valve stuck open will be like an inlet vacuum leak and will cause hard starting and jerky low down running. A valve stuck closed will just cause higher NOx emissions at higher revs, and may cause higher fuel consumption.  If you want to prove that your low-down running problems are cause by EGR valve you can blank it off by slipping in a sheet steel gasket without a hole to blank off the passage completely, It is not a good idea to leave the gasket in place for too long though, as it may cause other problems.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
Thank you.  I thought i had read before about WD40 leaving a covering behind.  I will do as you suggest and get a carburettor cleaner. 

For those that have cleaned the EGR Valve, did you replace the gasket?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 08:26:33 PM »
Bump.

Please vote in the poll at the start of this topic if your Jazz has suffered from this problem. Thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »
No I didn't have to replace the gasket but if you are unlucky it may get damaged when you remove the valve (from memory its one of those metalised composite gaskets that can stick to one face or the other, or both and peel apart).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest882

• Topic Starter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »
my gasket got stuck on the valve ,but i carefully removed it and didn't change it

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 10:46:49 PM »
Ordered the gasket to be on the safe side £8.30 from Honda.

guest1520

• Topic Starter
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 09:22:35 PM »
Hi

New to site after struggling to diagnose what's wrong with my 2003 Jazz with 56k on the clock. Planning to try to clean the valve tomorrow; is this a difficult job for someone with little mechanic experience? Going to go to Halfords tomorrow- would carburettor cleaner clean the valve?

Thank you

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
Carb cleaner will help, also read this..........

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5345.015/

guest1548

• Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
Fixed my EGR valve yesterday. '52' reg Jazz with 63000 miles on clock.
Symtoms as described by others: at 1500rpm cruise it behaved like a rat was
dancing on the throttle cable.
It's a simple job. 2x12mm bolts (which were pretty stiff).
I also took the 10mm bolt off the cable clamp to make more space for the rear bolt.
!!! TAKE CARE REMOVING THE VALVE OR YOU'LL WRITE OFF THE GASKET !!!
Once removed, I sprayed it with carb cleaner:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_202903_langId_-1_categoryId_165750
I never hit anything. I did put a flat blade screwdriver into the gap in the side of the valve and a slight twist resulted in the solenoid lossening. Also, you should be able to twist the round end of the solenoid shaft with a pair of long nosed pliers (whilst spraying on more carb cleaner).
Re-assemble. Test drive. Problem gone :-)

guest1555

• Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
 ;D

I bought my 02 Jazz in June and luckily the problem with the jerking came to light quite quickly (didn't do it on the test drive of course!) which made me feel like I'd made a really big mistake. I was told it was the a dirty fuel problem by the trader's chosen mechanic. He put the cleaner in and it made no difference at all, I took it back and they tested it on the diagnostics machine but it showed no errors and he claimed it did not jerk at all when he and his lads took it out. I had explained it was inconsistent but I started feeling like they all saw me as some loony woman who did not know how to use a clutch. To cut a long story short the seller agreed to take it to Honda for testing and as I told them it would be Honda confirmed it was the egr valve problem. It has just been replaced by Honda under the warranty and I have picked up the car this morning and just had a very smooth journey to work.

I must say the trader I bought it from did treat me very well and I was given a loan car to use while they were sorting it out without question. Hopefully now I will be able to enjoy the Jazz without too many issues, especially as it's the first Honda I've owned. It's just such a shame you have to really push and moan sometimes to get things sorted and to make people believe it's not your bad driving technique and that it is a genuine issue. We were going to try cleaning outselves and even bought the carb cleaner but we could not get the bolts undone at all. I am glad that I pushed to get it sorted properly now and luckily it was done with about 2 weeks left on the 3 month warranty.  8)

guest805

• Topic Starter
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »
Hi,
If you suspect a problem with the EGR , can you test it by deactivating it? maybe  by temporarily  disconnecting the wire to the solenoid ?
I was wondering whether this would be an alternative to fitting a blanking plate?

Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »
The whole problem with the EGR valve is that it sticks open, disconnecting the plug will not close it but may upset the ECU.  If the EGR sticks closed you would never know except emissions at high revs may be higher than normal, normally the EGR valve should be closed, but at high revs the EGR should open and allow some exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold.

The best way to check it is to either take it off and look (and buy some carburettor cleaner before you do) or fit a bit of plate underneath to block the passages off.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
Given this issue still seems to be popular i though this extract may be of use, pictue from www.hondafitjazz.com service manual

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 02:52:16 PM by olduser1 »

guest1837

• Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
Anyone know a good place to get a replacement EGR Valve - don't wont to pay Honda prices (guessing they will charge £200 or so for the part (quoted £280 to supply and fit!). I have tried ebay but no joy.

guest1828

• Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
have you attempted to clean it out? will save you bucks if you do it OK! ;)

Tags: