Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 6069 times)

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
Hi everyone
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
I've been browsing here for a few days now, for various reasons I'm looking to change my main car and the Jazz is top of my list.
I went to the main dealers today and got a brochure and a once over from the salesman, very impressed with the rear seat system makes very good use of the available space which is what I'm after, I'm going to miss all the options I currently have though :(.
Looking forward to a test drive in the next day or so, which is further than I've got with the other cars on my short list...... :D

PS. Just in case you're wondering about the forum name, I do own a Land Rover, but not one of those :o
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
Hello and welcome  8)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
Hi

Before you actually drive one, take time adjusting the driver's seat height and the steering column hight and rake and the driver's seat position..

It took me 5 minutes to find the most suitable position and it made a difference ...

Apologies if trying to teach my grandmother to suck eaggs

guest3477

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
Hello

And I do drive a Defender :o  (as well as the Jazz)  :D

Sara

Defender

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »
Hi and thanks for welcomes,
Garyman, like the look of your Jazz, nice colour and very cool 8).
Madasafish, thanks for the tip about adjusting the drivers seat, I will certainly do that as it's important.
My current daily driver is a MINI Cooper and I find it very comfortable for all journeys, but for various reasons need something a bit bigger and a higher seating position for elderly relatives who struggle getting in and out of the MINI.
TGM Sport, I had a 200 Tdi Defender for 4 years, but needed something more day to day useable as I had a company van, I now have had my 2000 plate Td4 Freelander which is great to drive, very comfortable really comes into it's own when the snow falls, my neighbours are always amazed as it starts first time after weeks of not being used and drives out effortlessly when our slippery sloped close is sheet ice!
You love a 50th Anniversary Defender!

ATB,

Defender.

PS, the choice of car is close now, down to the Jazz and a.n.other, test drives early next week.......... 

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »
Defender

My wife has a Mark 1 Yaris and she finds both it and the Jazz very easy to enter and exit - very important as she has had a replacement hip op )and another one due 2013),

I give lifts occasionally to some 80+year olds and they find both cars easy - but the Jazz has more room in the rear.

Defender

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
Hi Madasafish,
Thanks for that information, I will be taking my mother with me on my next visit to try the Jazz for size, but from everything I've heard and read it should be better for her.
Looking forward to test driving it, I've read some quite differing opinions from various sources, I guess a lot depends on what you're used to?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
Hello and welcome.

Defender

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »
Did the deal on a EX-T today and collect it next Tuesday (27th), can't wait.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
My 2006 CVT jazz has just been serviced and while it was in the workshop I had the loan of the latest Jazz CVT ES model. I was pleased to get the chance to compare it against my own car and I have to say my impressions were mixed.  I thought I would share my opinions with you.

Firstly I do like to sit in a fairly upright position so I adjusted the seatback to where I would normally have it. This had the unfortunate and uncomfortable effect of the headrest pushing my head forward so I had to recline the seatback more than I am used to. However during driving I did not find the seat position uncomfortable.  I would agree that it is worth spending time trying different seat and steering column options, usually I slide the seat back and forth until my legs and feet are comfortable on the pedals then adjusting the steering wheel to match.

Moving off from stationary was very quiet and smooth. At around town speeds its quietness and smoothness were impressive but at motorway speeds wind noise was intrusive, it seemed to be coming from the top of the windscreen. I think I would find it irritating and tiring on a long motorway journey.
Throttle response was exceedingly lacklustre. With a high tec multivalve engine I was expecting an improvement here over my GD jazz but to achieve my normal speeds I needed to put my foot down more than I am used to and the response to throttle opening was dull. 

The climate control seems a worthwhile addition. I pressed auto and set the temperature to 18 and left it to do its own thing, it seemed to work well.

Boot space was good. Is the folding floor useful or is it just a gimmick? I know it has been discussed here in the past but is the lack of a spare tyre a big issue, it is 30 years since I had a puncture and had to use the spare. Is using the supplied kit any mare hassle than changing a wheel? However if tyre shops are unwilling to repair a tyre once it has been filled with sealant a simple puncture could turn out to be an expensive tyre replacement rather than a simple repair.

The things I like about my current car are the impressive load space, its reliability and its economy. There are not many other cars that can match it so I will most likely get another jazz when it is time to change, but I won’t be rushing.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
Pine

"Throttle response was exceedingly lacklustre. With a high tec multivalve engine I was expecting an improvement here over my GD jazz but to achieve my normal speeds I needed to put my foot down more than I am used to and the response to throttle opening was dull.  "

That's what the  S mode is for. As discussed elsewhere, D is designed with economy in mind so the CVT changes up at the slightest opportunity. Select S mode and it's rather different.

I had no problem with headrests:

Defender

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:24 PM »
Had my Jazz EX CVT for just over a day now, not been very far, but all's well so far, trying you aclimatise after two years, eight months of MINI ownership ::).
Sorting out a few extras to add and make it a bit more user friendly ;D.

Tags:

anything