Author Topic: My '02 Jazz 1.4S GD1 (Spec list on page 1)  (Read 103616 times)

guest3040

Re: My '02 Jazz 1.4s (GD1)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip Remould- will do some research and see if 14mm is the one I require

No problem, let me know if you want them.

Nice work there Remould.

Cheers Richard.  ;)

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but i thought i'd share a couple of photos of my last two cars.
I love doing track days, so these were both my daily drivers and track day toys.

My 1996 JDM Toyota Levin BZG: (Feb 2011 - Dec 2011)

How she looked when i first purchased her:

And after i had my way with her:

And my '04 Honda Civic VTEC Sport: (Nov 2007 - Feb 2011)

Standard car, apart from tinted windows:

And after one or two slight modifications:

Hope you enjoyed looking at the pics.
Any comments welcome.
Cheers,
Steve.  ;)

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
Hi Steve :  Have you ever tried the Knockhill Circuit, Fife?

http://www.knockhill.com/

I used to do a lot of photography (amateur) there.

guest2915

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 02:28:31 AM »
Have the new springs made the Jazz feel less like it's going to topple on sharp and fast double apex bends? Couple of places I drivehave them  and I just feel too high up to take the bends too sharply. Ex-Mini driver here!

Love what you have done to your cars.

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
Hi Steve :  Have you ever tried the Knockhill Circuit, Fife?
I used to do a lot of photography (amateur) there.

No, i'm afraid i have never been there before. I live and work in the south of England (Surrey & Hampshire), so Knockhill is a little too far for me.  :(
The most northerly circuit i have been to is Croft. It's a lovely track with some great corners, testing your nerve to keep your foot to the floor, heheh.  ;)  Apart from Croft, i usually go to Brands Hatch and Castle Combe as they are within easy reach.

Have the new springs made the Jazz feel less like it's going to topple on sharp and fast double apex bends? Couple of places I drive have them and I just feel too high up to take the bends too sharply. Ex-Mini driver here!

Love what you have done to your cars.

Thanks Vampyra. I must admit, i was fairly happy with how my Jazz felt beforehand. My car is an '02 model, and the suspension felt fairly firm to begin with, better than my girlfriends '07 GD5 anyway...
The FK Automotive springs that i installed are progressive, so they help the car feel a little more planted in the corners (less body roll) but still feel comfy at low speeds.
By far the biggest improvement was getting the front geometry re-aligned. By setting a bit of toe-out and some negative camber, it has greatly improved front end grip and feel. The car now has much less tendency to under-steer.

As it decided to snow last night, i thought it was about time to remove the semi-slicks and re-fit my stock "winter" wheels.

I should really have done it last weekend, as it wasn't particularly fun swapping wheels over in the snow, lol.  ::)

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
hope their not REMOULDS, he he  ;D

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
Lol, no, not any more.  ;)

That was how i got my nickname... Back when i was in college i used to get through several sets of tyres a year, had to resort to fitting remoulds to keep the cost down, heheh.  ???

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
That's a nice Levin Remould...were they still RWD by that point?

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
No, the AE111 was front wheel drive. It was Toyota's answer to the DC1 Integra.
She was pretty rapid though. It had the 20v 1600cc 4A-GE Black Top engine similar to the older AE86.

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
As you may have seen in another section, I purchased a new K&N panel filter the other day from a seller on eBay (part number: 33-2917).

You can see in the photo below, the box has seen better times, lol. Luckily, the filter wasn't damaged though.

With the new air filter fitted my engine seems to rev more freely and feels like it pulls a little stronger at high revs. This may just be me though, i'm not sure what actual power gains it may have given.

Also, after finding some pictures of the Spoon Sports (Endurance Racing) Fit i decided to purchase a 2nd hand Airbox to mod.

This is a link to the write-up on the Spoon Sports Fit: http://asia.vtec.net/featurecar/SpoonRFit/index.html

Here is a photo of the Spoon Fit engine bay:
You can see that they have removed the restrictive resonator assembly to achieve better air flow to the filter.

Here is the 2nd hand Airbox that i have purchased on eBay:

I'll post some more photos once i have made the required mods.

guest3080

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
Looking good Steve!
I remember seeing that Levin in a mag feature a few years back. Looked nice. They're light cars for their size!

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
Looks a good mod... i had a K&N panel Filter fitted to my '04 civic 5dr, and i noticed a difference, better acceleration and engine and exhaust note slightly raspier, i only had it in about a year, i took it out when i got the jazz.. i keep meaning to put it on ebay, its like new!

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »
I had my 2nd hand airbox delivered the other day, so after a few hours cutting it about, here is what i was left with...

I first cut out all of the restrictive induction piping, removing the resonator boxes, then i cut out the entire base of the airbox to provide maximum flow.

And here it is fitted to the vehicle:

Next on my list is to install a length of ducting to route cold air from under the car, up to the bottom of the air filter.

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
The tread on my R888's are pretty low for road use now, so i decided to look for a 2nd hand set of wheels to use purely for track days. After a bit of searching I managed to find myself a good deal on eBay, a 2nd hand set of 7"x15" ET37 OZ Superturismo wheels complete with almost new 195/50/15 rubber.  :D
As i was still using the stock winter wheels on my car, i took both sets of alloy wheels and tyres down to my local tyre fitters (Martins Tyres: 01276 856846. GU24 9QG) to have the tyres swapped from one set to the other.
They only charged me £50 for fitting and balancing all 8 wheels. Get in!  ;)

So, this is what i have now...
My 7"x15" ET30 Rota RB's for daily use (now with fresh tyres):

And my 7"x15" ET37 OZ Superturismo wheels with R888's for track duties:

Also, i ordered a set of braided brake lines that i'll be getting fitted along with some decent brake fluid in the next couple of weeks.

Roll on April, can't wait to get out on track at Castle Combe.  :)

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
I've got my car booked in to have the HEL Braided Brake Lines (with Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid) fitted next Friday, so in preparation of that, i got a few bits done this afternoon.

Removed the Heat Shields to aid cooling:

Fitted my new Discs and Ferodo DS2500 Pads:

And test fitted my OZ Superturismo track wheels (as i'd not checked to see if they actually fitted, lol):

After taking the car out to bed in the brakes, i let the engine cool off and and had a little lunch before carrying out a Throttle Body Coolant Bypass (to cool the Throttle Body and reduce intake air temperature).

Disconnected the Flow (orange) and Return (yellow) coolant lines from the IACV (red) on the underside of the Throttle Body:

Cut a 10" (255mm) length of 1/4" (6mm) I/D Hose and joined the Flow and Return together (shown here in yellow), to bypass the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) and help reduce intake air temperature:

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »
Ooh, i almost forgot...

I also flushed my engine oil out with some 10W-50 fully synthetic (left over from my Toyota Levin) before fitting my new Hamp Oil Filter and filling her up with Gulf Competition 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil (Ester based).

Tags: