Author Topic: Painting reversing Sensors?  (Read 6976 times)

Absolution

Painting reversing Sensors?
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
Hello,
Just a quickie.....
The previous owner of our Jazz had reversing sensor's fitted but they are a Black Plastic. I was wondering whether or not it is possible to paint the sensors in the rear bumber or if painting them would create a obstacle over the sensor making them believe I am near something (just looks odd having black sensor's on a red bumper :( )

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Painting reversing Sensors?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
I personally wouldn't paint them as they work on ultrasonic frequency and I suspect paint could stop them working altogether.

You could try painting a piece of cling-film and then temporarily stick it over the sensors to see how it affects them.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:02:18 AM »
My 2010 Jazz has an Elite pack fitted which was already on the car when I bought it from the dealer. They are body colour and whilst I don't know if they come painted or were painted by a bodyshop before fitting they work ok.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
Look at the sensor basically the part is contained within a sensor holder, then pushed into the bumper. You will notice there is a tiny gap around the sensor - this is key.
Do not spray over this small gap - problems will ensue
Take care painting these items - the trick is to find/make a small cylinder of paper the same diameter as the one on the rear sensor push the paper onto the sensor x 4 then spray.
I've done afew over the years, but the black plastc looks fine.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
If these are the OEM Honda ones then yes I think they can be painted as painting was offered at an extra cost.

Absolution

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help and advice. Still not 100% sure if I should paint them.
I dont know if they are OEM sensors, I do know that they were fitted after the car was bought. Might have a bash at lightly spraying them taking into count what people have said but failing that might just replace them with ones that have been painted.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »
Give it a go, try a thin piece of plastic / paper to keep the gap then blow it a couple of light spray coats. remove the paper when touch dry.

Tags:

anything