Author Topic: Looking to buy first ever Jazz  (Read 14304 times)

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: Looking to buy first ever Jazz
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »
I saved almost, £5,500.
 Buying brand new, from New Car Discount..... https://www.new-car-discount.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Y-f6u7P3gIVB7TtCh1-DA7uEAAYASAAEgILu_D_BwE

I would, certainly, use them again.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest8090

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »
I saved almost, £5,500.
 Buying brand new, from New Car Discount..... https://www.new-car-discount.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Y-f6u7P3gIVB7TtCh1-DA7uEAAYASAAEgILu_D_BwE

I would, certainly, use them again.
I cannot see Honda as an option on this site  (maybe I missed it!)

Jeangenie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
Finished early from work today and popped out to Loanhead to try a Nissan Leaf. I absolutely loved it. So quiet. I had an extended test run and it was such a joy to drive. Tried the one pedal driving but that was weird. It would take a bit of getting used to. Only fly in the ointment was the price. Even second hand it made the eyes water. Hubby is all for it.
I had a look at https://www.new-car-discount.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Y-f6u7P3gIVB7TtCh1-DA7uEAAYASAAEgILu_D_BwE but they are not stocking Honda vehicles at the moment.
We are going to Western Honda in Edinburgh on Saturday. See what they can offer.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
I cannot see Honda as an option on this site  (maybe I missed it!)

New Car Discount......

When I "built" the Jazz, I wanted. I was quoted much less than other suppliers.

Then, there was 2 or 3 weeks unexpected delay.

After I let it be known, I was ready to cancell. The truth(?) emerged.

Honda had changed their dealer discounting system. "Someone", in the supply chain, had mis-calculated, and was £750 short, on several Honda quotes.....

I understand, Honda, honoured all the quotes.

A week later, it was delivered, at the original price.  :)

Maybe. This problem, affected future dealer relationships.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
Finished early from work today and popped out to Loanhead to try a Nissan Leaf. I absolutely loved it. So quiet. I had an extended test run and it was such a joy to drive. Tried the one pedal driving but that was weird. It would take a bit of getting used to. Only fly in the ointment was the price. Even second hand it made the eyes water. Hubby is all for it.
I had a look at https://www.new-car-discount.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Y-f6u7P3gIVB7TtCh1-DA7uEAAYASAAEgILu_D_BwE but they are not stocking Honda vehicles at the moment.
We are going to Western Honda in Edinburgh on Saturday. See what they can offer.

Do your research and be absolutly sure an electric car is suitable for your use pattern. A friend sold one after a couple of months at a huge loss because he could not live with the short range and the lack of charging points and time taken to charge it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:34:58 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »

Do your research and be absolutley sure an electric car is suitable fore your use pattern. A friend sold one after a couple of months at a huge loss because he could not live with the short range and the lack of charging points and time taken to charge it.

Quite right,  and also check if battery is leased or if you own it - if it is leased you may be paying more for the lease per month than you pay for fuel at the moment,  and if you own it you may get saddled with a massive bill in the future if battery fails.  The other thing is, BEV are well known for depreciating like a ice cube in an oven,  stories of a loss of £15K in 18 months have been published in national press.

Looks like Nissan are stopping battery lease scheme on new Leaf - maybe the alternative is insuring the battery,  because they cost an arm and a leg to replace ( like replacing entire engine on an ICE car).

https://evfleetworld.co.uk/nissan-abandons-battery-lease-for-new-leaf/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:27:33 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I agree with all the advice above about the current crop of EVs. I was quite keen to get one as even a 24kwh Nissan Leaf would do 90% of our journeys but I'm glad now I monitored my trips over a year. We had a few into areas where no charging was available and this lead me to stick with the Jazz.

Great option as a second car though.

Jeangenie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
I don’t think charging would be an issue. I have a 50 mile a day commute into Edinburgh and back. The great thing is we have private parking behind our offices. A year ago my boss bought a Tesla and put charging in at the office. To claim it as a business expense he put three charging points in and the only time I have seen one of the others used is when one of our customers occasionally comes in. She has an older Leaf.
I have a drive and double garage at home but like most modern families the garage is full of overspill and the cars sit on the drive.
Culzean the garage told me the battery was not on a lease. It would appear they don’t do that with the new Leaf.
Regarding a second car. My husband has a 320d company car which we use for long trips and his daily commute to Glasgow.
A new model Leaf is a bit pricey and I think the earlier one looks rather frumpy. It is not my style at all.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
Analysing your travel distances before buying a vehicle has only become important since BEV have been available. The fact is that even the smallest ICE car can travel 300 to 400 miles + on a tank of fuel and be happy on motorways, and more importantly can be re-fuelled in minutes rather than hours.

The other thing is that if government would reduce 70% tax on fuel down to 5% VAT which is payable on electricity then BEV would not be anywhere near as attractive,  but they will have to get the loss of fuel revenue back in some way.

BEV also cost more to insure. https://insideevs.com/electric-car-insurance-up-to-60-more-expensive-than-ice-in-uk/

Also this ..  https://www.petrolprices.com/news/electric-car-drivers-face-fuel-price-rip-off/

Look out for the future when you can only charge your car at home via smart charger and government slap 70% tax on it. Motorway chargers installed by private companies will be able to charge you what they like.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:49:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 12:17:22 AM »
I helped my uncle buy a 2012 Leaf in Jan 2017 with 23k miles on the clock. The battery is owned outright. £6995 plus £1000 deposit contribution, 0% Apr over 3yrs HP. 2yrs free servicing, 12mth warranty. Free home charger. Amazing value. He uses to go to central London so no congestion charge and free 4 hrs meter parking in City of Westminster! Unfortunately can't seem to find this type of deals any more. But he has no problems with the car although the range is about 60-70 miles depending the weather.

Btw, did you get a chance to look at Carwow re:Jazz?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:18:55 AM by 123Drive! »

Jeangenie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 06:47:33 AM »
Yes I did have a look on Carwow. We have a meeting with Western Honda in Edinburgh this Saturday to see what they have to say.
One of the reasons I looked at the Leaf is Edinburgh is introducing Zero Emission Zones and because I work in the city centre an electric car could be a good idea.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
One of the reasons I looked at the Leaf is Edinburgh is introducing Zero Emission Zones and because I work in the city centre an electric car could be a good idea.

I’d be very surprised if Edinburgh is contemplating a “Zero Emission Zone” which would presumably ban or charge all ICE cars. Much more likely is a Low Emission Zone which would ban or charge the worst polluters.

My home city (Bath) is also proposing a LEZ (they call it a Clean Air Zone, or CAZ) for exactly the same reasons as Edinburgh, but petrol cars that comply with Euro 4 & later - which includes the MK 3 Jazz - will be exempt. It’s more stringent for diesels, they have to be Euro 6, which has got a lot of people very annoyed.

But different cities are doing this differently, so if the impending LEZ/CAZ is a factor in your decision do check it out carefully, you may not need to go electric in order to comply.

guest8014

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
Had an Orange EX for two weeks now. Done 1000 miles. Pleased so far. One or two things coming to the fore:

- Car Mats needed and something for the boot.
- Rims of the Alu wheels as usual easily scraped on badly designed kerbs. Watch out when parking!
- not sure I like the constant beeps when parking but I guess get used to them.
- Went a bit quick onto a roundabout yesterday and got too close to a car leaving same and the Auto braking system came on. Quite effective but disconcerting as I was not going to collide anyway. Might be able to turn this off?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »
Had an Orange EX for two weeks now. Done 1000 miles. Pleased so far. One or two things coming to the fore.

- Went a bit quick onto a roundabout yesterday and got too close to a car leaving same and the Auto braking system came on. Quite effective but disconcerting as I was not going to collide anyway. Might be able to turn this off?

Bloody hell!! Provoking the auto brakes is really pushing your luck! It can't be turned off, it is a legal requirement on new cars, sounds like you are better off with it on.

Are you sure you don't mean the collision warning system?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:35:53 AM by Skyrider »

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »

I’d be very surprised if Edinburgh is contemplating a “Zero Emission Zone” which would presumably ban or charge all ICE cars. Much more likely is a Low Emission Zone which would ban or charge the worst polluters.

My home city (Bath) is also proposing a LEZ (they call it a Clean Air Zone, or CAZ) for exactly the same reasons as Edinburgh, but petrol cars that comply with Euro 4 & later - which includes the MK 3 Jazz - will be exempt. It’s more stringent for diesels, they have to be Euro 6, which has got a lot of people very annoyed.

But different cities are doing this differently, so if the impending LEZ/CAZ is a factor in your decision do check it out carefully, you may not need to go electric in order to comply.

Colin B is correct in saying it will be a Low Emission Zone.
Here is a link to a Scotsman article from last year .
https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/drivers-face-penalties-in-scotland-s-first-low-emission-zone-1-4552333
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:09:36 AM by JimSh »

Tags: