Author Topic: Weather conditions  (Read 2221 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Weather conditions
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
With the bad conditions over the weekend, i thought it might be helpful to share the following with you.
On Saturday I went up to see my daughter in North Lincolnshire, from the West Midlands, a round trip of 250miles.
On the way up the wind was behind me and the fuel consumption was noted at 59.8mpg, generally sticking to the 70mph speed limits.
On the way back, speeds were somewhat less, whilst battling against the wind and fuel consumption was down to 49.2mpg, which I suppose in view of the conditions was still reasonable.
I think this shows that when checking out fuel consumption, weather conditions need to be factored into the results.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Weather conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
Weather makes a huge difference to the fuel consumption figures. Warm, dry and calm give the best and anything other than that knocks the numbers off.
On my Saturday drive I am roughly half way into the prevailing wind and half way with it. The thing is it doesn't balance out. Into the wind is more of a minus than with it a plus. I'll have to rig an automotive spinnaker!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
Reminds me of a trip last year down to Cornwall. Ferocious wind and rain kept the speed down (rarely got above 60) and the mpg (actual) was a disappointing 49. On the way back vastly better conditions and recorded just over 56 mpg (actual).

The drag factor of rain is sometimes underestimated. The car has to plough it out of the way.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
Even warm summer rain has a marked difference on consumption. I know how much it reduces my coasting distances.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
Well I ran the Yorkshire 10 Mile in atrocious conditions yesterday in almost exactly the same time is in lovely warm summer type conditions last year. I guess I don't run fast enough for the wind and rain drag to affect me, ha ha. The chief difference was fighting off hypothermia at the end due to be wet and how cold it was.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »
Well I ran the Yorkshire 10 Mile in atrocious conditions yesterday in almost exactly the same time is in lovely warm summer type conditions last year. I guess I don't run fast enough for the wind and rain drag to affect me, ha ha. The chief difference was fighting off hypothermia at the end due to be wet and how cold it was.
That reminds me of a half marathon a few years back when I was running on the highest part of the course into a north wind with driving rain. Not pleasant!

The underlying problem of wind is that the resistance is proportional to the square of (vehicle speed +/- wind speed) so driving at 50 mph into a 20 mph wind is the equivalent of driving at 70 mph into still air with v squared = 4900. Driving at 50 mph, on the other hand, with a 20 mph tail wind is the equivalent of driving at 30 mph in still air with v squared = 900. In that calculation the benefit of the tail wind is less than 1/5th of the loss due to the head wind. Cycling concentrates the mind on the wind effects - even worse than rain.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »
Morning, and just reading thread and those who do the marathons...why run when you can drive! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
Morning, and just reading thread and those who do the marathons...why run when you can drive! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I only ran half marathons .. had to stop with hamstring issues when 64..

Runners tend to avoid obesity issues, and heart problems when older..I am 125 and exceptionallfit for my age but my mind has gone awol.. :P :P :P :P :P :P

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 07:08:11 PM »
Ha! Gave me a Friday eve smile (great reply) TY...esp when there's bugger all on TV...so to scan the recordings library to see what films have been forgotten about!

Tags: