Author Topic: Reversing uphill judder.  (Read 2261 times)

guest7368

Reversing uphill judder.
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »
I have a manual EX jazz MK3 and reversing uphill (steep hills) from a parallel park position   causes some serious juddering and full gas.
Is this normal for a small engine, heavy, petrol car?  (It's not just when I drive it  ;D)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Reversing uphill judder.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
Doesn’t sound normal. I’ve also got a manual, and live on a moderately steep hill and always reverse uphill into the space when parallel parking, and usually have to reverse uphill to get enough room to leave a parking spot. So generally twice every time I use the car. I’ve never had any judder.

Pure guesswork, but:
- if it only happens on a hill and not on the flat, maybe there’s an issue with hill start assist not releasing when it should ? Unfortunately I don’t think it’s possible to switch this off to test this idea (I wish it was possible, I find HSA a pain when parking on a hill).
- maybe clutch issue ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
I experience something not dissimilar, but my Mk 1 has done 106,000 miles, on, as far as I am aware, the original clutch. I think it is just glazing of the clutch plate but do not want to burn it off by giving the clutch a good "roasting" in case that is all the clutch material I have left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »
Are you, as a well-trained driver, using handbrake and then release it when you are releasing the clutch and pressing the accelerator? HSA is designed for people who don't use their handbrake.

The handbook says:

■ Hill start assist system
Hill start assist keeps the brake engaged briefly to help to prevent the vehicle from
rolling on inclines as you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
Depress the clutch pedal, and shift to one of the forward gears when facing uphill,
or R when facing downhill, then release the brake pedal.

Try releasing handbrake with foot on brake pedal, then release clutch and press accelerator.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest7368

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
I don't use the handbrake, I'm used to hill assist (mostly) but my partner does and it happens to both of us. If the gas isn't pressed firmly, it stalls straight away.
My MK1 never had this problem.
My car has only done 5k miles.
I am beginning to wonder if it's a clutch/gear/hill assist issue but wanted to check it's not normal before taking it in.

guest6630

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »
I have a juddering on my Mk3 EX which is at it's worst when reversing but on level ground. This fault has been with the car since new and my local dealer does not seem to be able to cure it .lt is currently at the dealer having a new clutch and flywheel fitted.( see my other post ) but l dont hold a lot of hope for a cure as the loan car is exactly the same.

guest7368

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »
I'm not sure if I feel relieved or worried that its not just my car.  :o

I hope the new clutch and flywheel fix your problem.

guest6630

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
Thank you l will post an update when l get it back which will not be for about another 3 weeks!.

Tags: