Author Topic: Honda Civic saloon.  (Read 4734 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Honda Civic saloon.
« on: May 11, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
Not exactly what I'd call a saloon. More a coupe, to my eyes.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/honda-civic-saloon-confirmed-uk-market

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Honda Civic saloon.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
Agree. Was also an issue on my HRV. Car looked great but not a massive amount of headroom in the back for my grown up lads.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
It does look the part, though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »
Traditionally a saloon is four door and a coupe two door, and a coupe is 2+2 ( two adults and two children normally) and saloon will normally seat 3 adults in the rear seats although this has been fudged with 4 door coupe and 2 door saloons.  Either way it is made in Turkey, so thanks but no thanks, although traditionally Turkish workers make most German cars in Germany.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:12:39 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:10:18 PM »
Turkey would put me off, as well.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:55:08 PM »
That low roofline, especially at the back, is an issue with so many cars these days. I had the misfortune to have a ride to one of our walking group meets in the back of a Nissan Joke. My neck is still sore!

Another good point in the Jazz.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »
That low roofline, especially at the back, is an issue with so many cars these days. I had the misfortune to have a ride to one of our walking group meets in the back of a Nissan Joke. My neck is still sore!

Another good point in the Jazz.

I knew someone who had a Nissan Puke as a courtesy car and I was shocked at the tiny boot and lack of leg room in rear seats.  It is like a Mini on stilts.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
ANY car which does not have a flat boot, no boot lip  and space fro 4 beehives is worthless (to me at least!)

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
I had the misfortune of having to ride in the back of a Ford Focus last week, as I am 6' 2" tall every time I got out I ended up banging my head on the top of the door frame until I learnt to duck nearly double, plus the ride was awful and noisy, made me appreciate the Honda's I have owned.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
I found out many years ago that there is no correlation between exterior dimensions of a car and the room inside. We were in USA and had a ride in a white Cadillac which had a bonnet about six feet long and a boot to match but legroom in rear was cramped.  Neighbour across our street has two Jags (and it isn't John Prescott) an XJ8 and an S type, and I have to say cabin space is not good in either. I have given him a lift in both Jazz and Civic and he cannot believe that they have more interior room than his Jags.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:04:47 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
When I was working in California I was taken out one evening in a large American car (no idea what). The interior space was terrible. You could comfortably sit three abreast, but with your knees were against the dashboard. And the back was just as cramped. The bonnet was about 6 ft long and the boot (or should that be trunk?) about 5 ft.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
Agree. Was also an issue on my HRV. Car looked great but not a massive amount of headroom in the back for my grown up lads.
That's a problem with the EX version of the HR-V which loses a couple of inches headroom due to the sliding roof. No has ever complained about the rear seat headroom in my HR-V SE.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
My late Dad would only buy saloons, so I had VW Derby and Jetta. I went to the 1993 Motor show and felt in love with the Civic Coupe. But Dad said go for a Bel-Air 4dr saloon with Aircon-had it for 18 yrs and then got my current Jazz! Remember the days when the Civic/Ballard and Accord is always a saloon but marketing factors meant they all became hatchbacks.

Made in Turkey? Well I had a Toyota Verso made from there. My Cypriot barber always try to peel the 'Made in Turkey' sticker off! More importantly, the quality is not as good as Japanese but no worse than European made cars.

I asked Honda UK why isn't a Hybrid version available? Saloon will be slow selling and without the option of Hybrid and even electric, I don't think other makers will be worried. May be rename the car as Fastback?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:03:23 AM by 123Drive! »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »

Made in Turkey? Well I had a Toyota Verso made from there. My Cypriot barber always try to peel the 'Made in Turkey' sticker off! More importantly, the quality is not as good as Japanese but no worse than European made cars.

I would question the blind faith in Japanese made (as opposed to designed) cars as my experience in car industry first tier suppliers is that definitely parts made in UK by companies I have worked for exceeded the standard of Japanese parts.  I remember Toyota in Burnaston were having problems with Japanese steel in their pressing shop, they switched to British steel and the problems went away. Also Toyota France (Yaris) had standards higher than Toyota asked for, they caused our company a few headaches but we met them (I think French did not like buying parts from UK and made life as difficult as possible for us). Japanese cars made in Europe are top notch, but having helped to move Ford Transit production to Turkey a few years ago  (a move paid for with EU money, we summarised to prepare Turkey for EU membership) I was shocked at primitive conditions and lack of what I would call basic knowledge.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
"Japanese cars made in Europe are top notch"

Thanks for the interesting info! On the other hand,  empirical evidence shows the Japanese cars made in The UK weren't as good as made in Japan. I remember reading Which? and all their UK built Civic and Jazz had issues. My colleagues had a UK Jazz and he had lots of problems with it compared to my Japanese one.  My old VW Polo Coupe was the first that was made in Spain and again the quality wasn't as good like my cousin's South Africa build C Class . However, my sister's Czech Hyundai i30 was of good quality.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if the Civic saloon is any good.

Tags:

anything