Author Topic: OBD II Code reader  (Read 2917 times)

guest5079

OBD II Code reader
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »
Some years back I bought a Maxiscan  MS300 OBD II Code reader. It  helped with a couple of problems on our Rover BUT I believe I have read on Club Jazz that this reader will only do certain things, if any, on more modern cars. The Jazz being one. To buy a 'cheepo' reader from China is still a circa £100. Is there anything on the market that updates the straight OBD II or is it a case of throwing it away and starting from scratch?
Unfortunately with such pieces of equipment one can buy the correct reader and never use it or need it and can't get anything other than a £300/400 jobby.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: OBD II Code reader
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
If you have a smartphone then the ELM327 OBDII readers shuch as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-MA1514/162979515217 will get all the basic info for the Jazz and send it via Bluetooth to the phone (get the free version of the Torque app). If you don't have a smartphone then a secondhand Android one will do the job for a lot less than £100 (someone younger in the family might have an old phone they would set up and give you).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
It is still current.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxiscan-MS300-Diagnostic-Scanner-Diagnose/dp/B001LHVOVK

Give it a try. I can't see it will do any harm.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
The Maxiscan is EOBD/OBDII compatible, so it should be fine to read and reset all engine related trouble codes.

If you want something to read all car systems, then you need the Honda HDS diagnostic system or a Chinese clone, which comes as an interface cable and software to install on a laptop.

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »
Hi all. Bought the above Maxiscan and used it to track down an engine management error. Once located, I decided to erase the  code. Now, just to be clear,  is 'erase' the same as reset? There was no option on the OBD tool to reset the code, only to erase it. However, once erased I checked the booklet again and its a little unclear to me as to what erase has actually done. It has cleared the fault from the dial, but Im fearing that it has maybe deleted the code from the onboard computer, meaning that it wil never return even if the fault does? Or, is it just reset and will return if the fault comes back? Appreciate feedback, thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
Hi all. Bought the above Maxiscan and used it to track down an engine management error. Once located, I decided to erase the  code. Now, just to be clear,  is 'erase' the same as reset? There was no option on the OBD tool to reset the code, only to erase it. However, once erased I checked the booklet again and its a little unclear to me as to what erase has actually done. It has cleared the fault from the dial, but Im fearing that it has maybe deleted the code from the onboard computer, meaning that it wil never return even if the fault does? Or, is it just reset and will return if the fault comes back? Appreciate feedback, thanks.

I doubt the reader would allow you ( or be capable of ) to erase a parameter in the firmware..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »
It will only allow you to delete or erase the code from the history log.

If the problem causing the fault is no longer present, the code will not come back. If a fault condition still exists, you will find that the fault code will reappear immediately.

Tags: