Author Topic: Couple Questions about changing the Coolant  (Read 4745 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Re: Couple Questions about changing the Coolant
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »
Lots of good info for me to read through here, thanks.

I've bought the original Honda Type 2 pre-mix coolant. It was £20 but I figure it's the best bet for what is already in there and thus not end up mixing types.

The car is at 80K, and though it has been serviced it hasn't seen a Honda dealer since about year 3. I'm assuming probably only the oil and air filter has been changed since then. The coolant is a lovely dirty brown colour. It also failed the anti-freeze test with 2 of the 3 balls sinking on my Halfords tester. As such I really want to do a proper change of the coolant.

I can tell the undertray/splash guard has been removed previously because they made a mess of it. Most of the clips are missing and replaced with tie wraps. If it hasn't been removed for servicing then I have to wonder why it was removed.

Regarding turning the heater to cold above, I heard you should do the opposite and set it to hot. After all reducing the amount of coolant removed to prevent air bubbles is kind of defeating the whole purpose? Air blocks can be removed by just running the engine afterwards and topping up?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »
Air blocks can be removed by just running the engine afterwards and topping up?

In the past have had the devils own job removing airlocks from cooling systems,  thought I had got rid of airlocks by running engine and short runs and went for a decent run only to have the temperature gauge  (I know Jazz hasn't got one just silly lights) shoot right up into the 'your engine will blow in 1 minute' zone.  That is why I would rather avoid them if I can.

I also try not to disturb hoses, as when they have been on car for a few years they can get proper stuck,  and I don't want to risk damaging the seal or the hose.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:33:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
Bleeding the heater can be a pig of a job on some cars. Sometimes I have had to remove the heater return hose until water comes out. Other cars bleed very easily. I had one car (cannot remember which one), that had a bleed valve for the heater. It was just like bleeding a domestic radiator. Never done the Jazz so no idea if it is good or bad.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »
I changed the coolant on my Jazz last year and just followed the directions in the user's manual and had no problems with overheating or anything else.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
For those who don't have the original manual you can download it here:
http://www.hondatrading.ro/uploads/manuals/Manual_de_utilizare_Honda_Jazz.pdf
Page 292 is the bit you want.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
I haven't even looked in the user manual! Just been referring to a Haynes manual which seems rather more complex.

My coolant is so bad I don't think a partial drain and top up is going to be up to the job. I've booked Friday off work specifically to go through all the service items. I'll attempt to follow the haynes instructions. I've at least been able to get hold of the washer and O-Ring parts.

Wish me luck!  ???

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »
POST CHANGE UPDATE

Yesterday I did all my planned maintenance on my 'new' Jazz. Here's a little feedback to help other total newbies like myself in the future.

OIL Change
-------
This was relatively easy and straightforward. With the front end jacked slightly and the engine warmed I managed to get nearly the whole capacity emptied. Only issues were with the Sump plug. With it reversed from front access I was trying to tighten it up at first! Once removed there didn't seem to be a washer installed. The bolt seems to be two part and at first I thought there was a stuck washer but it was part of the sump plug. I replaced the cheap filter with an original Honda filter and added the washer that came with the filter. I used Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL Fully Synthetic. A little over the top but I thought she should have the best after years of neglect.

Coolant Change
-------------

My engine tray it beaten up and held on by various half broken clips and cable ties. In the end I just left it and only drained from the radiator (and not the engine block drain). I didn't get much fluid out, probably only a litre. I was able to remove and empty the overflow tank. This was tricky with the lower tray in place, but I undid the bolt and lowered it down to the floor, then lifted it up to reinstall. This gave me another 300ml or so of fluid to change. On refilling the coolant I didn't have any issues with air blocks (probably because of how little I changed). It took ages for the engine to warm up enough to get the radiator fan going. Using my OBD reader it was 93 degrees that turned it on. Once mixed round it didn't do much to change the dirty original colour. The dirty blue stuff that came out did however look like the blue Honda Type 2 coolant I added. I assume it was the original factory coolant, so at least I'm not mixing two types.

Spark plugs
-----------------

Changed these for orginal NGK BKR6E-11 plugs. Front were easy, the rear ones were tricky. I had to slide the wiring harness out the way and use a rortating elbow joint with my spanner extension. I used the hose pipe trick to remove and start the new plugs. Front plugs looked fresh, rear plugs had carbon build up. Either the rear plugs work harder, or more likely they weren't changed when the fronts were done.

Air Filters
---------
Cabin was very easy to change, and absolutely disgusting. Obviously had never been changed.

Intake filter was in good shape. I found it a real pain to remove and replace the lid. Not sure why when it looks easy in the videos. I just couldn't get the clearance, a real PITA! Maybe there's a knack I don't know about.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:30:23 PM by bus_ter »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
It's easy to not quite line up the air filter lid so that it stands slightly proud.This makes it very difficult to get the clips to go over centre.
When you fit the lid attempt to move it backwards and forwards and side to side, you may feel it click into place.

Vic.

Tags: