Author Topic: 2008 Honda Jazz - Official pictures  (Read 5480 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
2008 Honda Jazz - Official pictures
« on: September 22, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Honda has shown off the much awaited new-shape Jazz/Fit. The new Jazz retains the same basic style of the current model but increases the dimensions for improved interior space with modest weight gain and updated engines.The current Jazz was in troduced in Japan in the summer of 2001, and came to Europe in early 2002. Over the last six years, 2 million units have be en sold worldwide, with over 134,500 units sold in the UK since 2002. It’s fair to say that Honda - whose previous Logo and mid-80’s Jazz sold poorly in this country - were very surprised at the car’s success.

So it comes as no surprise that the new Jazz looks very similar to the current model. The biggest changes come from the adoption of Civic and FR-V-style features, including the shape of the front nose and rear-end design and the bigger headlights mixed with the familiar front grille - light relief for those worried by early drawings showing the controversial nose from the new CR-V. The roof line now slopes down as it meets the rear tailgate, giving the Jazz a less truncated rear end. The characteristic three-quarter front windows are now larger, although the windscreen is now more steeply raked which may present new Civic-style front visibility problems.

The Civic theme is clear with the new dashboard design. The steering wheel, heating controls and air-vents are similar to the Euro Civic and it appears the instrument panel may gain the LCD read-out housing mpg and fuel range as found in the Civic and CR-V, although thankfully, the distinctive three-hooded analogue dials - a popular feature of the new model - are retained over Civic-style digital speedometer. Hopefully, the plastic quality will be more consistent then the Euro Civic’s.

Regrettably, the Civic influence extents to the deletion of the spare wheel - whether Honda UK come to their senses and offer a space-space as standard over the tire repair kit remains to be seen; if they don’t, prospective buyers should consider adding it to the shopping list or bargain hard. Nevertheless, the familiar magic seat layout is implemented thanks to the fuel tank’s location under the front seats and may even work better than before thanks to a 4 0mm increase in legroom. Could it spell the end of the need to move the front seat forward for the rear seat back to fold down? We shall see.

Engineers claim the 50mm increase in wheelbase - and the 55mm increase in length - improve the interior space and the ride quality - an often crictised area of the old car, although much improved over the years. While width is increase by 20mm height remains unchanged but headroom is improved thanks to the revised fuel tank layout. The track has also been widen and should provide improved handling from the retained suspension layout of front Macpherson struts and torsion beam rear setup.

As before, the Jazz uses EPS (Electric Power Steering) which has been upgraded. JDM-market engines (1.3 and 1.5-litre) follow the same design as before but with i-VTEC added for improved performance and economy (Honda claim over 60mpg for the 1.3). The SOHC design of the 1.3 produces 100bhp at 6000rpm a nd 98Ib ft of torque at 4500rom - up on the current 1.4’s (actually a 1.3) figures of 83bhp and 88Ib ft at 2700rpm. It may appear then that if this VTEC unit comes to the UK (export market engines are as yet unconfirmed) it may need a bit more revving then the current Jazz’s i-DSi. Whatever, hopefully Honda will give us the 1.5 i-VTEC the Japanese enjoy - 118bhp at 6300rpm, 108lb ft at 4800rpm and sub nine second 0-60mph sound pretty good for a car weighing just over a ton.

Incidentally, the new car is just 10kg heavier - although not headline-grabbing like the dieting regime Mazda put it’s new 2 on - is very impressive considering how fat Renault Clio’s and Fiat Punto’s have become.

As yet a diesel is unconfirmed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:53:24 PM by RichardA »

guest238

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
This is just like the transition from mk4 to mk5 Civic in 1991 - clearly evolutionar and more modern looking but less attractive, and as history proved with the 5th gen Civic, it will probably date quicker.

Comical Engineer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
As long as we can have one without the blasted privacy glass. I don't want to drive round looking like a drug dealer!

Do like the look of the interior though. Hopefully an analogue speedo, have tried and really don't like the digital variety.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual

Goffs Oak

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Do like the look of the interior though. Hopefully an analogue speedo, have tried and really don't like the digital variety.

You're in luck!

See the pictures posted in the above link - digital display for fuel range, etc, BUT analogue speedo.

Personally myself, I love the digital speedo in my S2000, but it would look out of place in a Jazz or Civic.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:33:33 PM by RichardA »

guest238

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
From the write-up on this site (excellent by the way!)

"Honda claim over 60mpg for the 1.3"

"As yet a diesel is unconfirmed."

If the 1.3 returns 60mpg, who needs a diesel anyway?

guest221

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Indeed, why bother? I never get less than 50mpg anyway.

Looking at those pics, I'm the only one who dislikes that huge front quarter window?

mgutt

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Hmm. Looks like a facelift for me.  

Tags:

anything