Author Topic: Honda Jazz: No Congestion Charge Exemption  (Read 4677 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Jazz: No Congestion Charge Exemption
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »
[Update: C02-based Congestion Charge plan scrapped before introduction] Sadly, the Honda Jazz just misses out on the Congestion Charge exemption for vehicles producing less than 120 g/km of CO2 - the 1.2-litre produces 129 g/km, while the 1.4-litre produces 137-139 g/km. So owners will continue to pay the current charge of £8 to enter central London. Maybe the new model Jazz will rectify this?

From 27 October 2008 (assuming Red Ken gets elected as mayor for a third time), The Mayor of London will introduce a new CO2-based charging scheme for vehicles entering the London Congestion Charge Zone. The aim is to encourage drivers to choose lower emission vehicles or to shift to public transport.

Cars producing less than 120 g/km of CO2 and meet the Euro 4 emissions standard qualify for a 100% discount. Cars registered after 1 March 2001 (Y-reg onwards) which produce over 225 g/km of CO2 will be hit with a £25 charge for entering the zone, as too would any car registered before 2001 with an engine greater then 3.0-litres in size.

CO2 charging table [link removed due to scrapping of CO2-based Congestion Charge]
Congestion Charge Zone

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:47:22 PM by RichardA »

guest238

Re: [BLOG]: Honda Jazz: No Congestion Charge Exemption
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
It’s all a pile of nonsence. A ‘congestion charge’ isn’t really a congestion charge if there are opt outs for greener vehicles. And the wealthy drivers who tend to own more polluting vehicles will simply absorb the extra cost. Besides, the main polluters are the many in their Focus, Golf, Jazz, Almera, etc, and not the few who buy Porsche Cayennes or BMW M5’s.

Although I haven’t checked this, I’m quite sure many new small cars on the market today would easily qualify for the 100% Ken-gestion charge discount. Those who own these cars are simply going to start taking the car instead of the bus or train when this kicks in. I know I would if I was in that position, although any incentive to avoid using London United buses or South West Trains.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Honda Jazz: No Congestion Charge Exemption
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
Following the election of Boris Johnson as Mayor of London, plans to introduce the CO2-based congestion charge have been scrapped. Cars producing 120 g/km or less CO2 will not be congestion charge exempt after all.

Personally, I agree with this move. Many manufacturers offer models producing 120 g/km or less of CO2 and we're not just talking about city cars - even the big-selling Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi qualifies. It would totally defeat the object of encouraging people to use public transport (surely that was the whole idea of the London CC?) if average and affordable family cars could qualify for the exemption.

guest238

Honda Jazz: No Congestion Charge Exemption
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:01 PM »
It's all a pile of nonsence. A 'congestion charge' isn't really a congestion charge if there are opt outs for greener vehicles. And the wealthy drivers who tend to own more polluting vehicles will simply absorb the extra cost. Besides, the main polluters are the many in their Focus, Golf, Jazz, Almera, etc, and not the few who buy Porsche Cayennes or BMW M5's.

Although I haven't checked this, I'm quite sure many new small cars on the market today would easily qualify for the 100% Ken-gestion charge discount. Those who own these cars are simply going to start taking the car instead of the bus or train when this kicks in. I know I would if I was in that position, although any incentive to avoid using London United buses or South West Trains. ;)

Tags: