Author Topic: 2018 New car sales  (Read 5210 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
2018 New car sales
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Honda sold 52,570 cars in 2018, down by 2.47% with a market share of 2.12%

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2018 New car sales
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
I see Honda have announced a planned 6 day halt in production, post Brexit, to facilitate production recovery, following any delays in parts sourcing.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:02 PM »
I see Honda have announced a planned 6 day halt in production, post Brexit, to facilitate production recovery, following any delays in parts sourcing.

Yes. It does seem to coincide with the high fiving buddies, Abe and May. Curiouser and curiouser.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »
I always compare Honda with Toyota. There's no Hybrid Jazz and and with 0% and loads of discount, the Yaris is selling like hotcakes. Then there is the range. Honda don't have an Aygo nor a 7 seater until recently. Also how many Pirus has been sold as minicabs? To be fair, with 52k sold, it's not bad for Honda.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »
The good news shown by those statistics is that Honda's market share increased from 2.12% in 2017 to 2.22% in 2018. Perhaps the new Civic helped.

I often wonder if Honda not selling anything smaller than the Jazz in Europe is partly to have a quick fix available for complying with EU post 2020 emissions targets https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en which talk about overall fleet reductions. However, the small vehicle market also has the lowest margins. More likely we will see some hybrids versions showing up. Honda has these elsewhere in the world and the hybrid CR-V is available to order https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/cr-v-hybrid/overview.html. Sales of the hybrid Jazz weren't good partly due to the pricing but also the mpg improvement was modest.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
I stand to be corrected here but am I right in thinking that Honda's hybrid cars were incapable of electric only running? We use a local taxi firm if we are going out and alcohol will be involved and they use the Prius. For the first half mile or so as we leave the estate it's in EV mode only.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:10 AM »

For anyone old enough to remember the millenium bug (non) event these Brexit scares are just a re-run, many governments spent millions on experts and consultants ( who had prepared the pitch well with tales of planes falling out of the sky, food shortages and wages not being paid, trade grinding to a halt etc. etc. ) - while other governments spent nothing,  and guess what it was the biggest non-event of the millenium, but the preachers of doom had made 'loadsa money' from gullible government people spending taxpayers money....

The sun will rise as usual on March 30th, the ferries will still run, planes will still fly and the people who refused to be bullied by the EU will just smile,  while the doomsayers will carry on trying to convince us that the sky really did fall in but we were just to thick / un-educated ( aka as not brainwashed by the establishment ) / IQ challenged to notice what a catastrophe Brexit was...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
I stand to be corrected here but am I right in thinking that Honda's hybrid cars were incapable of electric only running? We use a local taxi firm if we are going out and alcohol will be involved and they use the Prius. For the first half mile or so as we leave the estate it's in EV mode only.

I think you are correct,  the battery is too small to do anything but assist the engine,  and Honda algorithm never let the battery get less than half empty. A meaningful battery would be like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which gives '20 miles' ( but weighs 500kg or half a ton in old money or half the weight of a complete Jazz car and is a dead weight for the rest of your journey but neatly gets around the ULEZ legislation even though many company car drivers never charge the battery anyway,  but their number plate and the dodgy paper spec of the car means they don't pay even when only running on engine power ).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:07:41 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »

It will be interesting to see how the new electric 'Golf MK1 lookalike' Honda (can't remember the name) will be received. It looks fantastic but it is my hunch that after the initial EV razzmatazz of the media/PC worthy launch we will see the addition of a mutton dressed as lamb fossil fuel version. Honda have always paid great lip service to green related developments but I just do not see battery technology etc advancing quickly enough to fill the gap and lips alone do not pay the bills. Except in the fuzzy arcane world of politics, of course.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/PeterNunn3/status/1083296458898657280?s=19

I read the above and then saw this article! Honda sold 218k units of this Nbox in 2018! Unbelievable when in UK they sold 52k cars combined, lol!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:21:47 PM »

I read the above and then saw this article! Honda sold 218k units of this Nbox in 2018! Unbelievable when in UK they sold 52k cars combined, lol!

It is easy to forget in UK how big Honda is in the rest of the world, and how well regarded their vehicles are..

The boxy vehicles are popular in Japan and Asia where road ( and parking ) space is at a premium and people want small footprint with good interior room.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:24:26 PM by culzean »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »

It is easy to forget in UK how big Honda is in the rest of the world, and how well regarded their vehicles are..

The boxy vehicles are popular in Japan and Asia where road ( and parking ) space is at a premium and people want small footprint with good interior room.

I've no idea what they're trying to do in the UK - the range of vehicles offered is ridiculously limited and the pricing vs specification is bonkers.

Look at them in the US - they do everything, including a people carrier and a full size SUV.  Honda's are seen as cheap cars there - in the UK they try and pitch themselves as a bit 'premium'.   You can get away with that if the dealers are good but the newer ones seem as crap as every other dealer.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »

Can't really see the 'box thingy' catching on in UK suburbia. Doesn't look all that impressive on the drive.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »

I've no idea what they're trying to do in the UK - the range of vehicles offered is ridiculously limited and the pricing vs specification is bonkers.

Look at them in the US - they do everything, including a people carrier and a full size SUV.  Honda's are seen as cheap cars there - in the UK they try and pitch themselves as a bit 'premium'.   You can get away with that if the dealers are good but the newer ones seem as crap as every other dealer.

Older posters will remember how bad ( dire )  UK and European cars were before companies like Honda came along, they were unreliable, badly built, heater and radio were optional extras they rusted away in a few years, and had steering, gearboxes and clutches worthy of a heavy truck. The japanese were many orders of magnitude better, they had all the extras as standard, lovely light steering and clutches, sweet gearboxes, were as reliable as a Swiss watch ( and still are ) and had sweet, free revving, long lasting and economical engines. Younger drivers are spoilt for choice of good reliable well equiped cars nowadays, but it is all down to the Japanese..

UK is a small market for Honda, and saloons and larger vehicles do not sell well here, and some people consider Honda to be pricey, but then again if you consider lifetime cost they work or pretty cheap, and some people still think Ford and Vauxhall are UK companies LOL. If anything Honda need a smaller model in UK to compete with VW UP, Yaris, Aygo etc. Although no profit in small cars as they cost pretty much the same to build as larger ones.

I would substitute ' good value for money' for 'cheap' as Honda were chalk and cheese with pathetic, unreliable , gas guzzling vehicles on offer in USA when Honda got there. Acura are Honda premium brand is USA ( most Japanese makers looked for 'non Japanese names for their upmarket vehicles ), but cheaper Honda badged models compare very well with their upmarket offerings.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda-vs-acura

Site is a bit strange, use little arrows under top photo to scroll between pages.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:46:33 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »

Can't really see the 'box thingy' catching on in UK suburbia. Doesn't look all that impressive on the drive.
The reason they are so popular in Japan is the legislation and tax regime makes them so. They are known as Kei Cars.

Tags:

anything