Author Topic: Reduced engine performance Jazz 1.4 i.vtec ES 2012 37k  (Read 6181 times)

guest7282

Reduced engine performance Jazz 1.4 i.vtec ES 2012 37k
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »
Just happened. Not progressive.
1.    25%  increase in fuel consumption.
2.    Decreased engine response but runs smooth and quiet. 
3.    When driving the ECO light goes out at the slightest touch on the accelerator.

All levels checked, Air filter clean. Fully serviced motor that ran perfect up to this point.
Any ideas?.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Reduced engine performance Jazz 1.4 i.vtec ES 2012 37k
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »
After a decent run feel the wheel centres (be careful - one could be rather hot). If a brake caliper is partially seized, and not releasing fully, this could cause your issues. I would also check the tyre pressures.

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
After a decent run feel the wheel centres (be careful - one could be rather hot). If a brake caliper is partially seized, and not releasing fully, this could cause your issues. I would also check the tyre pressures.

Thanks. All checked. All fine. I am sure it is an engine, fuel/air or exhaust gas problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
I would have thought that something along those lines would have shown up as a indication on the dashboard. The warning light is normally triggered if the ECU sees anything untoward. Get your local garage to stick an OBD2 code reader on the system. See if anything is recorded.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »
Hi

I read this thread with interest as our jazz si appears to be the same

It’s not bothered me to the point of asking, but as it’s been asked I am interested

The garage that serviced/mot our jazz did say the rear breaks were at 60% used where the front breaks had more on them

I have noticed that the green eco light does have a tendency to go out when driving manually but put cruise control on, and it seems to keep on much longer, with only going out if say the road has a slight incline etc

My mpg shows at the moment as 41mpg but on a run at 80mph it shows approx 46/48 mpg

Our headunit is connected to odbc2, and this shows no issues whatsoever

I do think that on the car pc display for mpg, A tends to show better mpg then B does.

This maybe just me though, but I have noticed this

Again though, it is not something I would have asked

Many thanks

John

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Thanks for your help. Nothing showing on dash. I will have it diagnosed first but I am suspecting EGR problem. Will report back if anything found.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
Thanks for your help. Nothing showing on dash. I will have it diagnosed first but I am suspecting EGR problem. Will report back if anything found.

EGR problem traditionally shows up as jerky / uneven running at lower revs, the EGR is closed at low revs and only opens up at higher revs to allow exhaust gasses into the system to 'cool the combustion and reduce Nox emissions - EGR problem normally causes stalling and low power when pulling away, an EGR that is stuck open is like having an air leak in the induction manifold,  an EGR stuck closed you would never really notice anything.  Many people blank off EGR with a metal plate (available on e-bay).

Low annual mileage / short  journeys are normally implicated in EGR problems ( like diesel DPF that block up and fail on low mileage vehicles) where they never get open very often to allow crud to be burnt out of them.

Has this happened straight after a service ? disconnecting battery can reset ECU parameters to basic settings and it can take a few miles to re-train the ECU to optimum. Have you recently filled up from a different service station than normal ? I would try either some 97RON 'cleaning fuel' or a good (over)dose of Redex to clean out system and injectors.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:00:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
Many thanks Culzeen. I think I will run the tank down a bit and then try the trusted redex. I also suspect that it is running a little hotter than usual as I have noticed the cooling fan seems to be coming on more than it used to.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
Running hotter could be due to weak mixture, one annoying thing about Jazz is lack of temperature gauge, although Jocko has a scan gauge plugged into his OBD to display amongst other things engine temperature. Mixture is controlled by oxygen sensors, should be easy for dealer to check. If EGR was stuck it should cool combustion as recirculation exhaust gas reduces oxygen in the cylinder.   Have you checked level of coolant in radiator and expansion tank ? I find it easier to check expansion tank level by waiting for dark and shining a torch inside neck of bottle to show coolant more clearly when looking at bottle from outside.

Unless aircon turned on (which makes both the engine and aircon radiator fans operate) I would not expect cooling fans to operate at this time of year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:38:45 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »
All levels ok and it is with heater running but no a/c. Will get it plugged in after trying Redex dose next week.

guest3793

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »
How is your clutch? Maybe slipping?

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:20:13 PM »
The clutch is fine. It is an engine/management problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
I'll say again, engine management problems normally manifest themselves with a indication on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. That's its purpose. Think you need a garage, or dealer, to run a diagnostics check.

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
Thanks Jocko. I am doing that next week

guest3793

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
The clutch is fine. It is an engine/management problem.

Ok, you know best. I was just responding to the question you obviously asked at the top of the thread.

Tags: