Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79582 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2019, 10:48:49 PM »
I think the system has to be regarded as a useful extra layer of safety, but not a substitute for long-established good practices of routine visual checks and reacting to any change in the driving "feel".

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »
Poster was suggesting that the 30 minutes driving should not be carried out at 70 mph, a suggestion that was confirmed by the official speed range of 25 - 62 mph from Honda.

Thanks, I was (am suffering from brain fade at the moment ). After resetting my system I use the car normally, anything from mini roundabouts to motorways. I have only had one calibration failure over two cars and the car tells you if the calibration has failed. If I remember correctly.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
I have only had one calibration failure over two cars and the car tells you if the calibration has failed. If I remember correctly.

I think you only know that calibration has failed because the "Check Tyre Pressure" warning pops up within 30 mins or so of initialisation, as my three recent failed attempts to calibrate the combo of worn and new tyre on same axle confirm. There is no specific message like "Calibration Failed".

I now have two new Goodyears on the front and have initialised and hopefully calibrated (done 30 minutes 25-62mph) successfully. However I am fully expecting further warnings as these two new tyres bed in, or maybe because there are still two 37,000 mile tyres on the rear.

Looking back at my records I see the two false warnings I had on my car when it was new occurred around 3800 miles, after which the system settled down (and only gave genuine warnings after that, until this week with mismatched old and new).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:41:14 AM by mikebore »

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
I have only had one calibration failure over two cars and the car tells you if the calibration has failed. If I remember correctly.

I think you only know that calibration has failed because the "Check Tyre Pressure" warning pops up within 30 mins or so of initialisation, as my three recent failed attempts to calibrate the combo of worn and new tyre on same axle confirm. There is no specific message like "Calibration Failed".

I now have two new Goodyears on the front and have initialised and hopefully calibrated (done 30 minutes 25-62mph) successfully. However I am fully expecting further warnings as these two new tyres bed in, or maybe because there are still two 37,000 mile tyres on the rear.

Looking back at my records I see the two false warnings I had on my car when it was new occurred around 3800 miles, after which the system settled down (and only gave genuine warnings after that, until this week with mismatched old and new).

Just had pressure warning :(
This is the first one after initializing with two new Goodyears on front, but 37000 mile Michelins on the back. Didn't come on till about 2 hrs of driving including 30 miles of motorway.
So it is either bedding in of new, or mix of new front (8mm) with old back (4mm).
I hope it's the former, otherwise it means if you have four used tyres and get a nail in one you have to replace all four to stop the wretched warning going off!!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »
Just wondering Mike - does the system allow for this in any way? Does it get used to the new situation (say one new tyre after a puncture) and adjust the parameters accordingly? Somebody must know.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:16 PM »
Not according to Honda.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
That notice says that more than 2mm difference on the same axle will not be accommodated by calibration. But it doesn't say anything about differences between axles.
I am now within 2mm on both axles but the front axle has 8mm and the rear 4mm. And I have just had the system trigger.
I have reinitiated and doing the calibration again.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:54 PM »
The fact it says they must be changed in pairs tells me that it doesn't matter between axles.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
The fact it says they must be changed in pairs tells me that it doesn't matter between axles.

Thats how I read it too, but fact is that I have had a false alert after 70 miles of mixed motoring with matched tyres on each axle.

Have to hope that it is a settling down/running in thing.

My car is going in 37,500 service next week so will quiz Honda then.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:19:30 PM by mikebore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #264 on: January 18, 2019, 07:24:02 AM »
I read an article about the permanent 4WD Volvos, where a transmission failure was not being covered by warranty because the tyres were worn differently between the axles. Volvo stated the tyres should be swapped to maintain even tyre wear, and if one tyre needed replaced then all four should be changed! Made me decide not to go for an XC90!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #265 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
Just over 10 years ago I had a company lease car.  The leasing company would no allow the swapping around of tyres as they couldn't keep track of the wear on individual tyres and thought people would introduce 'private' wheels in order to get new tyres.

I thought that was plain silly.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »
In general terms - I would much prefer a full tyre pressure monitoring system with a sensor on each wheel. The one on my daughter's car - a Qashqai - actually shows the pressure per tyre on the dash. They are not without problems in that the batteries in the sensors fail and then it can be quite expensive (or so I've heard). The Honda system seems a cheap fix to comply with various laws.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2019, 07:01:59 PM »
In general terms - I would much prefer a full tyre pressure monitoring system with a sensor on each wheel. The one on my daughter's car - a Qashqai - actually shows the pressure per tyre on the dash. They are not without problems in that the batteries in the sensors fail and then it can be quite expensive (or so I've heard). The Honda system seems a cheap fix to comply with various laws.

My brother found out how expensive the pressure sensor system can be when he wanted winter tyres on his Vitara,  had to buy 4 new sensors for new wheels and has to get system reprogrammed twice a year as the system can only remember 4 sensors at a time,  also if you have to fit spare wheel you get an alarm until you fit proper wheel back on - I know which system I prefer.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2019, 03:33:49 PM »

Just had pressure warning :(
This is the first one after initializing with two new Goodyears on front, but 37000 mile Michelins on the back. Didn't come on till about 2 hrs of driving including 30 miles of motorway.
So it is either bedding in of new, or mix of new front (8mm) with old back (4mm).
I hope it's the former, otherwise it means if you have four used tyres and get a nail in one you have to replace all four to stop the wretched warning going off!!

My car was in for 37,500 mile service today, so I took them through the TPMS saga.

What the Service Report says is:

"Reset system to NON OE settings and reset tyre deflation warning light 3 times.
Advised customer to try and report back"

I asked what 'resetting to non OE settings' meant, without getting a very satisfactory answer. It "widens the tolerance" was the gist of it.

So watch this space!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:53:56 PM by mikebore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »
Very interesting. It is as if they are saying that under some circumstances, and some vehicles, the tolerance is too tight. Obviously Honda have considered this at some time, for the facility to be available.

Tags:

anything