Author Topic: Atkinson engine and CVT  (Read 15367 times)

Sezlez

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi
Re: Atkinson engine and CVT
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
I remember owning a car years ago with no wing mirrors, no heater and no heated rear screen.  As time has gone by and each of these have been added, together with parking sensors and a reversing camera, I have never stopped looking through the windows at my surroundings.  I enjoy the reversing camera as an aid but can't imagine myself relying on that alone.

Yeah. There can’t be many cars easier to park than a Jazz.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 10:22:51 PM »
The reversing camera, was the decider, for me......

I would rather be looking outside than staring at the dashboard when reversing. :o
We've discussed that before, and as I explained to you then - it's not an either-or thing. The reversing camera is great for determining where the car is going. Thanks to the graphics you only need an occasional brief glance to keep the vehicle on track. Positioning the vehicle becomes almost automatic which frees up more of your brain to concentrate on what's going on around you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:29:05 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Atkinson engine and CVT eg
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
After driving the 1.3 cvt for 25000 miles, I find there is ample power for my needs.  As an alternative to pushing the accelerator to the floor for immediate extra power in "D" mode, I find a couple of clicks on the left hand paddle change works well.  It reverts to lower revs as soon as you ease off, eg after overtaking.  I think the engine/transmission system is excellent, and overall is giving me about 52 mpg measured by fuel bought.

If you find the 1.3 suits you that's fine, others have different priorities. Your fuel consumption indicates the type of driver you are.
A sensible one ;)

Not my thoughts, but hey ho it's a free ish country.  :)

guest7675

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
Has anyone had that stupid either young lad in a small clio type car when they see its a jazz want to go right up to your bum or like i found when i put my foot down a bit want to do same as they do not seem to like or expect the jazz to go fast and thats not top speed thats normal town driving.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
Has anyone had that stupid either young lad in a small clio type car when they see its a jazz want to go right up to your bum or like i found when i put my foot down a bit want to do same as they do not seem to like or expect the jazz to go fast and thats not top speed thats normal town driving.
I've grown out of those silly games. Just pull in and let them pass.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »
I overtook an Audi that was struggling to maintain a decent speed on local country lanes this afternoon. I find that most fast drivers are only fast in a straight line. They tend to brake for corners (I'd be embarrassed to misjudge a bend that much) and certainly off the main roads they are useless.

Unfortunately the main road between Brackley and Banbury has been closed due to a weak bridge so now it's either a much longer detour via the M40 or else country lanes. I don't mind country lanes except for the dweebs I keep meeting who think that anything above 40mph is too fast. Mind you with the main road not due to reopen this year I'm not looking forward to winter - I'll likely just have to accept the far longer detour once ice becomes a risk. Arse.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:15:34 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »
As my Dad used to tell me, when I was a daft lad, "Anyone can go fast in a straight line". I love driving twisty roads, fast. As soon as we get on a windy country road my navigator jams herself into the seat, so she can hang on. I regularly burn off much faster cars. There is a series of bends behind Aberdour (wrote a car off there, as a teenager). I'll approach them at a steady 50 mph with a faster car right on my tail. And I just stick to 50 all the way through. Usually have about 50 to 70 yards clear space behind me as I leave the bends.
Another favourite spot is leaving the M9 on the M90, heading for the Queensferry Crossing. It used to be a tight left hander, then they built an on-slip, removing the outside lane and using the hard shoulder as Lane 1 (with a new, even tighter hard shoulder). When the road is dry and there is no one ahead to impede me, I take it pretty dammed fast. I don't get the tyres squealing but I am not far off. There is always someone wants to overtake, just as you enter the curve, and they are lucky if they are within 200 yards of me when the road eventually straightens up.
Once a boy racer, always a boy racer!

Baulked by slower cars, but only photo I have.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:10:29 PM by Jocko »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »
BTCC race meeting at Knockhill next weekend.

https://www.knockhill.com/events/british-touring-car-championship

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 09:09:17 PM »
I love Knockhill. Coldest place in Scotland on a race weekend! Had a go on their single seaters.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
It's not something I notice very often because I very rarely want that kind of acceleration. Others have noticed it though and some think it's a kick down switch, others think it might be a switch that overrides the speed limiter. I don't think it's a traditional kick down switch because the engine seems to kick-down without going that far. However I have noticed that if I push past the click then immediately release the pedal the car can buck around alarmingly so perhaps it's a 'super kick down'. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.
In my experience, pushing the accelerator beyond the normal stop point results in further gear reduction, raising the revs to c.5000, i.e. approaching peak power.  The beauty of he cvt for me is that it will give you whatever power you need regardless of road speed.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »
It's not something I notice very often because I very rarely want that kind of acceleration. Others have noticed it though and some think it's a kick down switch, others think it might be a switch that overrides the speed limiter. I don't think it's a traditional kick down switch because the engine seems to kick-down without going that far. However I have noticed that if I push past the click then immediately release the pedal the car can buck around alarmingly so perhaps it's a 'super kick down'. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.
In my experience, pushing the accelerator beyond the normal stop point results in further gear reduction, raising the revs to c.5000, i.e. approaching peak power.  The beauty of he cvt for me is that it will give you whatever power you need regardless of road speed.

The reason it seems to give a gear ratio reduction is it allows the engine to produce full power. The CVT will have dropped to its lowest appropriate ratio long before the accelerator passed the detent in pedal travel.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »

The reason it seems to give a gear ratio reduction is it allows the engine to produce full power. The CVT will have dropped to its lowest appropriate ratio long before the accelerator passed the detent in pedal travel.

Perhaps it’s a failsafe button if the engine is already north of 3000 rpm when you go full throttle the computer might not decide to "gear down " instead just keep accelerating normally if you go past the indent it forces the lowest ratio for maximum acceleration

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »

Perhaps it’s a failsafe button if the engine is already north of 3000 rpm when you go full throttle the computer might not decide to "gear down " instead just keep accelerating normally if you go past the indent it forces the lowest ratio for maximum acceleration

I think it is an economy device, in normal use you would think you have used the full accelerator travel, it is only going beyond the resistance you get full power. I had a Focus and Kia Ceed that both had this feature and it was described as an economy stop in the Ceed user manual.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:30:58 PM by Skyrider »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »

I think it is an economy device, in normal use you would think you have used the full accelerator travel, it is only going beyond the resistance you get full power. I had a Focus and Kia Ceed that both had this feature and it was described in the user manual, unlike the Jazz.
Or maybe the indent is only there to cater for the speed limiter override as in the user manual.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »
It works for me and I never use the speed limiter. Having looked at the manual, it only mentions depressing the accelerator fully, it does not mention going beyond the resistance of the detent.

This is from the Ceed manual, there is a lot of discussion about this on the Ceed forums with some thinking it is a faulty pedal.

If your vehicle is equipped with a kick
down mechanism in the accelerator
pedal, it prevents you from driving at
full throttle unintentionally by making
the driver require increased effort to
depress the accelerator pedal. However,
if you depress the pedal more than
approximately 80%, the vehicle can be
at full throttle and the accelerator pedal
will be easier to depress. This is not a
malfunction but a normal condition
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:46:56 PM by Skyrider »